Corvette C8 thoughts on not using m1 esp?

Thanks guys, the dealer is out of that weight most of the time, I did find it online at Walmart now actually, it wasn't available two months ago there, was out of stock. So thats progress.

Is there an oil that meets the Porsche/BMW/MB specs and is 0 40 ESP you recommend? Guessing staying w/ the M1 may be the best alternative, doesnt appear the Amsoil 0-40 meets those specs! I wasnt too worried about warranty as the LT/LS engines seem pretty bulletproof however w/ all these variations on oils nowadays I could see IF there was an issue, a dealer finding a way to deny said warranty. Again, thank you.
Look at post #14 for one example.

Any VW/Audi or Porsche dealer will have the oil.

The BMW and Benz oils are usually going to be 5w40 or 5w30.

Unless tracking the car oil weight is largely irrelevant with Dexos, and euro certs because it's all about HTHS which hovers around (3.5-4.0).
Typically the 30w will be 3.5 - 3.7 and the 40w will be 3.7-4.0.

Esp x3 0w40 seems to be available at advanced auto and auto zone.
no that’s esp formula. esp x3 is exclusively available at your local audi dealer or european parts reseller

esp x3 has a higher kv100 - 14.1. corvette is 12.9

corvette has 3.53 hths, esp x3 is 3.8

esp x3 has a VI of 204, corvette is 185. edge 5w40 M is 197

Last edited:
no that’s esp formula. esp x3 is exclusively available at your local audi dealer or european parts reseller

Im aware of that but at my local autozone they absolutely have esp x3 stocked on the shelf. I have physically held the bottle in my hands amd @53' Stude purchased and sent in a sample for a VOA

Im aware of that but at my local autozone they absolutely have esp x3 stocked on the shelf. I have physically held the bottle in my hands amd @53' Stude purchased and sent in a sample for a VOA

you’re right. even has the exclusive nascar quart bottle for our market

Appreciate all the great info! I apologize for my ignorance, so the X3 is higher in all these areas and on the M1 site it says it meets all European specs, even Porsche. So the X3 oil is ok to run still in the Vette, it just has higher specs it meets? I will look around for it and get rid of the Amsoil I put in. Really appreciate the input!

Appreciate all the great info! I apologize for my ignorance, so the X3 is higher in all these areas and on the M1 site it says it meets all European specs, even Porsche. So the X3 oil is ok to run still in the Vette, it just has higher specs it meets? I will look around for it and get rid of the Amsoil I put in. Really appreciate the input!
The only requirements in the 2022 Corvette Owner's Manual are:

0W-40 Dexos 2

M1 X3 ESP meets those requirements.

Last edited:
Got to love it you can afford to buy a C8 but you want to cheap out on oil buy the best and only the best no matter what it cost and change it every 5,000 no matter what anyone tells you

Got to love it you can afford to buy a C8 but you want to cheap out on oil buy the best and only the best no matter what it cost and change it every 5,000 no matter what anyone tells you
Yeah, the Amsoil was $112 for the oil change, I have 5 pretty nice vehicles and they all get what I consider very good oil every 5k on oil changes. I have never cheaped out on any sort of maintenance on any of my vehicles, other than preferring to do it myself which I enjoy. I changed that oil a month ago and yesterday drove around town to 6 different auto stores looking for the M1 ESP X3 and finally found it, so another $90 Im going to put in for peace of mind.

The concern was locating an actual 0W-40 Dexos 2 certified oil. That's what the owner's manual specifies.

First time posting here, have searched a lot looking for opinions on this or similar questions. Trying to find the time to truly understand all the info, acronyms and definitions of things, thought I may just ask to get some opinions from you guys who know a lot more than I do.

So the new C8 Corvette recommends using M1 0-40esp. Its a hard oil to find (although seems to be getting a bit easier to get a hold of) and in reading a TON on here over the past few days Im curious from those that are familiar with it, if I should just stick with it or there are better oils which may or may not meet the Dexos 2 certification I may consider. I am running high flow cats and a catch can, my initial understanding is the esp formula is meant to be easier on emission equipment? I drive that car about 7k miles a year, I dont track it but tend to drive it hard when I can. I change the oil every 5k miles on all my vehicles. At 5k I went w/ Amsoil 0-40 SS but because its not Dexos 2 certified nor esp formula it got me wondering if it could cause any sort of issues. I spoke to the tech dept at Amsoil and they said their oil meets the highest standards and Im fine running it. Appreciate any thoughts on all of this.
Castrol dexos 2 in a 40wt is more than enough for the C8

Back