Corvette C8 thoughts on not using m1 esp?

First time posting here, have searched a lot looking for opinions on this or similar questions. Trying to find the time to truly understand all the info, acronyms and definitions of things, thought I may just ask to get some opinions from you guys who know a lot more than I do.

So the new C8 Corvette recommends using M1 0-40esp. Its a hard oil to find (although seems to be getting a bit easier to get a hold of) and in reading a TON on here over the past few days Im curious from those that are familiar with it, if I should just stick with it or there are better oils which may or may not meet the Dexos 2 certification I may consider. I am running high flow cats and a catch can, my initial understanding is the esp formula is meant to be easier on emission equipment? I drive that car about 7k miles a year, I dont track it but tend to drive it hard when I can. I change the oil every 5k miles on all my vehicles. At 5k I went w/ Amsoil 0-40 SS but because its not Dexos 2 certified nor esp formula it got me wondering if it could cause any sort of issues. I spoke to the tech dept at Amsoil and they said their oil meets the highest standards and Im fine running it. Appreciate any thoughts on all of this.

I am using the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 and I really like it compared to other oils I have used, don't want to bash Amsoil, not sure what a UOA on both oils will tell you. This ESP is the best oil I have used, and until I find something better, then the ESP is the cats meow. I will go a step further, the only oil that may look better than ESP is the HPL oil's, and that is only going by the specs. You spend alot of money on a car, might as well use the best oil. JMO

What's the price at the dealership?

You could look at Porsche C40/VW511.00, BMW LL04, Mercedes Benz 229.51 All of these approvals have a 40w flavor and are "ESP".

BTW...one benefit to using ESP oils is in a reduction of intake deposits.

One of the reasons behind using ESP oils is that gasoline is now very low in sulphur so you don't need the additional additives to neutralize the acids created by the combustion of higher sulphur fuels.

Reactions: SR5
What you want fundamentally is a Dexos2 (not Dexos1-Gen2) oil, which is based on the Euro ACEA C3 standard (high HTHS viscosity & lowish metallic additives). The good ones also carry some Euro OEMs like MB 229.51

Thanks guys, the dealer is out of that weight most of the time, I did find it online at Walmart now actually, it wasn't available two months ago there, was out of stock. So thats progress.

Is there an oil that meets the Porsche/BMW/MB specs and is 0 40 ESP you recommend? Guessing staying w/ the M1 may be the best alternative, doesnt appear the Amsoil 0-40 meets those specs! I wasnt too worried about warranty as the LT/LS engines seem pretty bulletproof however w/ all these variations on oils nowadays I could see IF there was an issue, a dealer finding a way to deny said warranty. Again, thank you.

Thanks guys, the dealer is out of that weight most of the time, I did find it online at Walmart now actually, it wasn't available two months ago there, was out of stock. So thats progress.

Is there an oil that meets the Porsche/BMW/MB specs and is 0 40 ESP you recommend? Guessing staying w/ the M1 may be the best alternative, doesnt appear the Amsoil 0-40 meets those specs! I wasnt too worried about warranty as the LT/LS engines seem pretty bulletproof however w/ all these variations on oils nowadays I could see IF there was an issue, a dealer finding a way to deny said warranty. Again, thank you.
Which approval or ACEA sequence are you asking about in particular? Something with ACEA C3 and/or the manufacturer approvals specify a minimum HT/HS which makes the grade irrelevant. What one are you looking for?

What oil spec is actually called out in the owner's manual ?

Guys the Corvette ESP Formula 0W-40 is different than the previously available ESP. It's been backspeced to all C8 Corvettes.

Last edited:
Correct, the C8 requires 0-40 ESP Dexos 2
Dealers have been going two different routes. The previous 5W-30 or the previous 0W-40 M1 ESP that was available in Europe (apparently this was shipped to some from Mobil as a short term substitute). The concern I believe is only the new 0W-40 will have a high enough HTHS (Not sure if it's higher virgin or has lower shear or both) to hold up at extreme temps on the track.

My thought would be old 5W-30 or 0W-40 on the street and 50 grade on the racetrack if you can't get the new oil (By racetrack I'm talking about 40 minute sessions at Road Atlanta not 10 seconds on the Dragstrip).

the previous 0W-40 M1 ESP that was available in Europe (apparently this was shipped to some from Mobil as a short term substitute). The concern I believe is only the new 0W-40 will have a high enough HTHS (Not sure if it's higher virgin or has lower shear or both) to hold up at extreme temps on the track.
the original european esp has been retired. the new x3 murders the corvette formula.

The ones with 5W-30 Caps said 5W-30 Street and 50 Grade Track. The new 40 Grade is applicable to all situations.
I mean what GM oil spec is called out in the owner's manual? Just "dexos2" and that's it?

I mean what GM oil spec is called out in the owner's manual? Just "dexos2" and that's it?
Dexo 2
0W-40

Mobil 1 Formula ESP
Mobil 1 X3 ESP
Castrol Edge Dexos 2

Those appear to be the 3 licensed 0W-40 Dexos 2 Oils at this time.

If it was my car snd I could find it I would be tempted to run a licensed 5W-40 Dexos 2 if I had to go off reservation

Last edited:
Back