Corolla Cross

First off I was working for Toyota when Tundra came out and always stated Ford had a say in their trucks when it came to production of full size pickups. Ford was and is involved with Mazda and now the Corolla Cross is made by Ford. Oops meant Mazda.

1709095954627.jpg

From my understanding, FORD is no longer involved with MAZDA since about 2008 and now only owned a very low% of MAZDA
However, TOYOTA has purchased a portion of MAZDA(and SUBARU) and has had MAZDA make a version of a Mazda2 for TOYOTA in sedan form called the Yaris iA. MAZDA is also assembling the Corolla CROSS(a TOYOTA design & spec) in a MAZDA facility in Alabama, for TOYOTA

GM at one time owned a portion of TOYOTA and today but no longer. FORD & TOYOTA are rumored to be teaming up to make hybrid trucks in the future.

RENAULT purchased NISSAN in the late 90s- early 2000s and NISSAN has recently purchased MITSUBISHI(The Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance).

This subject can get really deep and anything I mentioned above could be slightly incorrect.

Given everyone you mentioned is a publicly traded company, there is no reason to speculate. You could simply pull their SEC or equivalent country filings - for free.

Ford completely divested of their Mazda stock by 2015. Really - 9 years ago - done.

Toyota and Mazda formed a joint venture to build a plant in Alabama, where both of them build cars. Toyota owns 5.1% of Mazda. Last I looked they also owned 16% of Subaru.

At one point Renault owned 43% of Nissan. They have lowered it to 15%, and Nissan owns 15% of voting shares in Renault - so its a balanced partnership - although granted it was not always so.

Last edited:
Ford has nothing to do with this excellent, but slow vehicle. The real mystery is how Polestar makes cars that look like alternate universe Volvos, which is to say Volvos that are slightly older, and at the same time, slightly futuristic as the electric Volvos while Volvo also manufactures a bevy of electric vehicles. The worst part about the whole arrangement of these companies is that the most desireable car would be the unavailable Polestar, with a Volvo IC powertrain.

Original post kind of confusing to me but the picture along with what others stated make sense now. Mazda & Toyota are financial buddies now.

From my understanding, FORD is no longer involved with MAZDA since about 2008 and now only owned a very low% of MAZDA
When I replaced the front brake pads on our 2012 Mazda, the OE takeoffs said FoMoCo on the back of them. So at least until 2012 there was some level of parts content commonality. Assuming Ford owns FoMoCo, that is. The Bosch units I put on the car were cross listed for a C-Max and some other stuff.

When I replaced the front brake pads on our 2012 Mazda, the OE takeoffs said FoMoCo on the back of them. So at least until 2012 there was some level of parts content commonality. Assuming Ford owns FoMoCo, that is. The Bosch units I put on the car were cross listed for a C-Max and some other stuff.
FoMoCo all over my Volvo engine but Ford sold out Volvo to Geely (China) in 2010 though.

Corolla Cross has a CVT and AWD, both of which are deal breakers to me.
It is available in FWD only if you prefer.

The ICE has the CVTi-S - which has a mechanical gear to go from launch to like 15mph before it passes things over to the CVT pulleys. In theory it should make the belt last longer. Whether that is actually true remains to be seen I guess.

You can also get the hybrid with an E-CVT - which isn't really a cvt at all its a mechanical planetary gear. Of course then your stuck with all the electronics.

Not trying to sell anyone anything - just passing the info along.

The Mazda CX-50 and Toyota Corolla Cross are built at the same factory but completely different lines. Keep watching the MSM for your facts.

This so called auto journalist got slapped around for saying the same thing,

Nor does either vehicle have anything do do with one another; no parts sharing.

Correct. Just a shared facility where they’re assembled by Mazda and Toyota employees on separate lines. I did read that they share the same line for inspections, but separate for any assembly.

interesting reading for sure, BUT who manufactures-assembles what is only half as the quality of parts used are usually OUTSOURSED to the lowest bidder that HOPEFULLY are up to spec!! today MONEY rules EVERYTHING $$$$

If I were to buy (which I may in near future) a Japanese car I'd like it to come from Japan, not Canada or USA or elsewhere.
Watch the front page video, it's not a Toyota Century they assemble, they shouldn't need manual sanding and hammering doors in place unless assembly line is messed up.... mazdatoyota.com

Back