Corolla Cross

I get it that for some reason some people automatically think 4WD/AWD if they get any amount of snow, but I've managed to make it to old age without issues in a place that snows with front wheel drive only, because that's all you really need. I'm not the type of person that's influenced my marketing and I understand the difference between needs and wants. And the roads do get plowed here.

I do think that you are nuts if you drive a rear wheel drive vehicle here during parts of the winter yes. I know people with rear wheel drive, but it's a second vehicle that they don't drive in the winter.
I get what you are saying, well especially about BRAKES.

I am the odd duck. Give me RWD with good tires and weight in the back vs. FWD, especially UPHILL. The problem with FWD uphill, seems like nothing keeping that single spinning wheel down........:)

I get it that for some reason some people automatically think 4WD/AWD if they get any amount of snow, but I've managed to make it to old age without issues in a place that snows with front wheel drive only, because that's all you really need. I'm not the type of person that's influenced my marketing and I understand the difference between needs and wants. And the roads do get plowed here.
That last sentence is key. Where I live, they don’t plow. You absolutely require 4WD/AWD if you’re going to make it through virgin snow on some days.

How do I know? I used to have a FWD CX-5. Even with Blizzacks it couldn’t get through heavy virgin snow. My AWD CX-30 on BFG Trail Terrains can. My old AWD CR-V on Nokian Rotiivas could too.

I’ve had enough FWD vehicles get stuck and I’m at a financial place in life that I’m pretty much done with FWD.

Here’s a picture for reference. Suffice to say AWD is useful here:
DSC01042.jpeg

I can just as easily find more failures of AT's in Honda - and Subies suck in many more ways (I'll never buy one!). The failure rate of Honda CVT's is what? The failure rate of Honda AT's is what? I maintain there is no statistical difference at this point in time.

Sure if you don't want more complexity of AWD, I get that. But from my perspective the maintaining part is easy.
Pablo, some people just hate CVTs because of the way they drive / feel. I am self admittedly in that camp. :sneaky:

Pablo, some people just hate CVTs because of the way they drive / feel. I am self admittedly in that camp. :sneaky:
I get that

We rented a Corolla SE in HI

Wife hated the way it shifted compared to the 2017 CRV, especially the silly AT downshift delay then WHAM. Reminded me of our 1986 4.3L S-10 Blazer!!

Last edited:
I really liked the looks of the Corolla hatchback, but it was not what I wanted in driving dynamics. The heavier hybrid cross is just quicker and more sure footed. When they go hybrid hatchback, that will be a fun platform.

Back