Corolla Cross

If I were to buy (which I may in near future) a Japanese car I'd like it to come from Japan, not Canada or USA or elsewhere.
Watch the front page video, it's not a Toyota Century they assemble, they shouldn't need manual sanding and hammering doors in place unless assembly line is messed up.... mazdatoyota.com
While I still agree about wanting to see a J on the VIN, my 03 Matrix and 07 Corolla were both Canadian and were flawless. Where a car is made matters less than the expectations of the people managing the process IMO.

I live near both the factory where Toyota makes all the US Camrys and also one where Ford makes F150s. The labor pool they both are drawing from is essentially the same so it’s not the inherent quality of the workers that has given Toyota such a much better reputation. It’s their management and expectations.

When I replaced the front brake pads on our 2012 Mazda, the OE takeoffs said FoMoCo on the back of them. So at least until 2012 there was some level of parts content commonality. Assuming Ford owns FoMoCo, that is. The Bosch units I put on the car were cross listed for a C-Max and some other stuff.
My 09 Miata had a fomoco oil filter.

interesting reading for sure, BUT who manufactures-assembles what is only half as the quality of parts used are usually OUTSOURSED to the lowest bidder that HOPEFULLY are up to spec!! today MONEY rules EVERYTHING $$$$
Been that way since Henry Ford died. Toyota might be one of the best anyway from that perspective -they own Aisin and Denso and hence likely have the most of their own content of just about anyone I would guess.

I see that now yes. But all the ones in my area are the XLE trim well north of 30K. I'd never pay that much for one.
True for anything small in the lower price tiers. If the OEM don't load it up, the dealer will. No cheap cars anymore.

In the end I think there shooting themselves in the foot. Once people get used to keeping and maintaining there cars for longer and not buying new - they won't be running back to these OEM's in the future. I personally may have purchased my last new one, even though I can "afford" whatever I might want to buy, I prefer my money in my mattress not theirs.

Ford has nothing to do with this excellent, but slow vehicle. The real mystery is how Polestar makes cars that look like alternate universe Volvos, which is to say Volvos that are slightly older, and at the same time, slightly futuristic as the electric Volvos while Volvo also manufactures a bevy of electric vehicles. The worst part about the whole arrangement of these companies is that the most desireable car would be the unavailable Polestar, with a Volvo IC powertrain.
The hybrid corolla cross is considerably more peppy. I might test drive one eventually. Surprisingly nice at that price point.

The hybrid corolla cross is considerably more peppy. I might test drive one eventually. Surprisingly nice at that price point.
Once you test drive the cross hybrid, it seals the deal on drivability. The AWD is purely a rear electric motor generator allowing a lot of torque to be applied in combination with the main unit at low speeds or climbing grades. Yes I have one

2019 Lexus UX 250h
150k miles.
M20A-FXS engine.
eCVT transmission.

2022 Corolla Cross
123k miles.
M20A-FKS engine.
eCVT transmission.

I have been very happy with both, given their distinct differences.

I am seeing some misinformation and bad takes in this thread.

I hate CVT's because of their poor reliability, and I also hate 4WD / AWD because of the MPG penalty and increased maintenance costs.
The CVT thing is no longer true. Especially Honda and Toyota.

Indeed true on MPG, but the maintaining of 4WD/AWD seems like nothing in our house the last many years.

The CVT thing is no longer true. Especially Honda and Toyota.

I'm still in the process of letting someone else be the beta tester for CVT's.

Indeed true on MPG, but the maintaining of 4WD/AWD seems like nothing in our house the last many years.

I'm not interested in the extra maintenance required for 4WD/AWD. I watch enough repair videos to see all the extra steps to repair stuff when 4WD/AWD components get in the way, plus vehicles without 4WD/AWD don't have transfer case components that break and require maintenance. Plus, with 4WD/AWD there is still the tire size issue, which all by itself is reason enough for it to be a deal breaker. That and generally speaking, I don't want what I don't need.

I'm not interested in the extra maintenance required for 4WD/AWD. I watch enough repair videos to see all the extra steps to repair stuff when 4WD/AWD components get in the way, plus vehicles without 4WD/AWD don't have transfer case components that break and require maintenance. Plus, with 4WD/AWD there is still the tire size issue, which all by itself is reason enough for it to be a deal breaker. That and generally speaking, I don't want what I don't need.
I can just as easily find more failures of AT's in Honda - and Subies suck in many more ways (I'll never buy one!). The failure rate of Honda CVT's is what? The failure rate of Honda AT's is what? I maintain there is no statistical difference at this point in time.

Sure if you don't want more complexity of AWD, I get that. But from my perspective the maintaining part is easy.

People talk about 4WD/AWD as if there is some sort of advantage to having it. Maybe if you live in Alaska, Canada, or parts of Maine, etc. or something, but certainly not where I live. Front wheel drive is all you need.

People talk about 4WD/AWD as if there is some sort of advantage to having it. Maybe if you live in Alaska, Canada, or parts of Maine, etc. or something, but certainly not where I live. Front wheel drive is all you need.

Absolutely there is an advantage.

Even my 2014 WRX, on ice with good tires, was deadly fun.

My biggest issue with having a small 4WD SUV is when I'm driving around lanes in the country here in GB and I see a mound of mud or a good little grassy hill my self control goes out the window and I drive up it. :ROFLMAO:

Toyota CVTs are reliable. Their driving experience sucks, but they don’t tend to break. And in their hybrids their e-CVTs operate on completely different mechanical principles (planetary gears), and are far more reliable.

Where do you live? AWD is useful anywhere it snows. That’s more than half the country. I live in Colorado and it’s incredibly useful here in all seasons when dealing with snow, loose substrate, mud, etc., especially on inclines.

Where do you live? AWD is useful anywhere it snows. That’s more than half the country. I live in Colorado and it’s incredibly useful here in all seasons when dealing with snow, loose substrate, mud, etc., especially on inclines.
I get it that for some reason some people automatically think 4WD/AWD if they get any amount of snow, but I've managed to make it to old age without issues in a place that snows with front wheel drive only, because that's all you really need. I'm not the type of person that's influenced my marketing and I understand the difference between needs and wants. And the roads do get plowed here.

I do think that you are nuts if you drive a rear wheel drive vehicle here during parts of the winter yes. I know people with rear wheel drive, but it's a second vehicle that they don't drive in the winter.

Back