Corolla Cross

I also agree that Toyota needs something better than the CHR. Unless it was stated in this thread, that the Corolla Cross is available with AWD, I didn't see it. However, Toyota didn't offer the CHR with AWD on these shores even though it is available in other world markets. I missed opertunity IMO.

I also don't think that the rear door handles up high(like the Honda HRV) is a good thing for smaller/shorter folks or children. To me, this feature(rear door handles up high) still doesn't make the vehicle look like a coupe.

The Corolla Cross does in fact look like the RAV4 and I certainly hope that the Corolla Cross has better outward visibility. Some folks like the funky look of the CHR but for my age, I don't. I need to have better outward visibility(straight ahead & side view) and not just from the backup camera.

I do think that the CHR does kinda look cool from a distance but when I test drove one at our local Toyota dealer, I couldn't see out very well and I hated the drivetrain. I hope the Corolla Cross is better.

Car makers are in business to make.money.
They get rewarded everytime they make it larger and the market is much larger for crossovers than cars in the US. Every few years they notice space at the bottom and the cycle starts again.

Is it really necessary to make today's full size cars (Charger for instance) harder for someone with limited mobility to get in than a 1st generation Focus?

Given that options people gravitate to a car based SUV.

I am absolutely sick of CUVs and SUVs. Sedan or Truck.

I'm kinda with ya on that but this is what the public wants. I'm not sick of Pickup Trucks but certainly the CUVs/SUVs(and we've owned them). I'm sorta sad to see the variety of vehicles shrinking and almost everything on wheels is a CUV/SUV. I know that every vehicle has its place in the market but, I prefer a sedan for the everyday ride.

I do like variety and when we were younger, we always had 3 vehicles and as many as 5.
The family vehicle(something 4 door-ish) sedan or SUV.
The daily run-a-bout(hatchback) mostly 2 door hatch(a.k.a. 3 dr) but, I prefered a 4 door hatch(a.k.a. 5 dr).
The garage queen for summers only. Top down/top off(T-Top) motoring.
So, I do like variety but, we've certainly cutdown on vehicles as we just don't need them.

If(GOD forbid) it was just me in the household, I'd have a little hatchback run-a-bout but a good one. One that was also a nice vehicle for highway travel as well.

I am absolutely sick of CUVs and SUVs. Sedan or Truck.
I agree, BUT I do understand the appeal of them.

I really dislike the abominations that Mercedes and BMW made... like the GLE/GLC Coupe or the BMW X4 and X6.They’re not quite lifted sedans, but they’re not quite crossovers, just some horrific compromise of both.

I'm kinda with ya on that but this is what the public wants. I'm not sick of Pickup Trucks but certainly the CUVs/SUVs(and we've owned them). I'm sorta sad to see the variety of vehicles shrinking and almost everything on wheels is a CUV/SUV. I know that every vehicle has its place in the market but, I prefer a sedan for the everyday ride.

I do like variety and when we were younger, we always had 3 vehicles and as many as 5.
The family vehicle(something 4 door-ish) sedan or SUV.
The daily run-a-bout(hatchback) mostly 2 door hatch(a.k.a. 3 dr) but, I prefered a 4 door hatch(a.k.a. 5 dr).
The garage queen for summers only. Top down/top off(T-Top) motoring.
So, I do like variety but, we've certainly cutdown on vehicles as we just don't need them.

If(GOD forbid) it was just me in the household, I'd have a little hatchback run-a-bout but a good one. One that was also a nice vehicle for highway travel as well.

I agree, BUT I do understand the appeal of them.

I really dislike the abominations that Mercedes and BMW made... like the GLE/GLC Coupe or the BMW X4 and X6.They’re not quite lifted sedans, but they’re not quite crossovers, just some horrific compromise of both.

I think the problem with SUVs and CUVs is this.

If you want a nice driver, you opt for a sedan. If you need more cargo capacity you make it a hatchback or wagon.

If you want utility you get a pickup. Mid size, 1/2 ton, or 3/4 ton depending on your requirements.

Instead, what we get are half assed crossovers that suck at everything. They'll never handle or drive as well as a sedan can, and they'll never have the utility of a pickup.

All because the general consumer is an idiot. They prioritize infotainment, ambient lighting, blind spot cameras, "intelligent" drive modes, fake AWD systems, and other nonsense instead of valuing actual suspensions, drivetrains, powertrains, etc.. People are so stupid that they can't put their phones down and drive properly so manufacturers are coming up with cameras to monitor and alert distracted drivers.

Take a sedan, make it a wagon and people are repulsed. But take that wagon, lift it a couple of inches, raise its roof, add a weak awd system and some tech bells and whistles that unnecessarily drive up the cost and repairs, and you have your typical suv that people can't get enough of.

I don't even want to start on vehicles like the Jeep "Trackhawk". I'd pay money to watch some fool drive that thing on an actual track through corners carrying actual speed.

Being a car enthusiast in the future is going to suck. It's why I'm slowing moving to mountain bikes with manual trannies dying. At least I can build those things how I want and don't have to deal with environmental psychos (yet).

Sadly for you, this is the future.

Not for me, currently drive a new manual WRX. If I can't get the next gen in manual, my next vehicle will be a fully loaded, top of the line super duty luxury truck. Don't care about fuel efficiency either.

I think part of the problem is most people want a simple appliance for a vehicle, they don’t care if it has decent suspension as long as it’s numb and they can’t feel the road underneath the car they’re happy.

I think part of the problem is most people want a simple appliance for a vehicle, they don’t care if it has decent suspension as long as it’s numb and they can’t feel the road underneath the car they’re happy.
That can be a really nice feature during frost heave season.

Gotta say, I like this new forum software--I had an article about the Cross come into my inbox, and was going to post a new thread, but the forum directed me to this. Nice!

Link to Ward's article

Not really sure what the difference here is between CHR, Cross and RAV4. Subtle differences in size and capabilities? I'm used to us kvetching about not getting all the cool models that Europe has, but getting 14 flavors of CUV I don't think addressed that.

A 2.0L 4-cyl. and CVT taken from the sedan will produce 169 hp and get an estimated combined 32 mpg (7.3 L/100 km) with FWD. The AWD car comes with a fully independent suspension, while the FWD version uses a new torsion beam system in the rear. The Corolla Cross will be able to tow up to 1,500 lbs. (680 kg).

The 2022 Corolla Cross (pictured below) will go on sale later this year, and Toyota says it expects to sell around 100,000 units in 2022.

Through the first quarter, Toyota sold 72,520 Corolla sedans in the U.S., making it the nation’s most popular Upper Small Car, as tracked by Wards Intelligence.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota drops the CHR for this. I hardly see any CHR's in my area.

To me this seems like a softer, more conservative version of the RAV4. So people that want the RAV4 size, but don't want the stand out style will probably be all in on this. But I am curious how this will be priced in comparison to the Venza. I think the Venza may be a better option since they are reasonably priced for what you're getting and being a hybrid it gets really good MPG's.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota drops the CHR for this. I hardly see any CHR's in my area.
I've seen people posit that it's sticking around. I wonder if it's basically like the Yaris--kept so as to have a foot in the smallest & cheapest segments. Someone gets a CHR, drives it for a few years up into a Cross, then a RAV, then... well who knows if they do that, but perhaps CHR is now synonymous with what the sub-compact was, the base level to start at. Since sedans seem to be on their way out and all.

Here is a good video review on the Corolla Cross. A fast talker but still decent.

Good review. A lot of info in 7mins.
I still prefer our base model RAV4 to one of these little guys. The DI and CVT are not helping win me over.
I’m pretty much planning on a Tesla 3 or Y or similar in the next 5 years anyway.

ive also heard of the yaris hybrid cross coming over from europe to pick a fight with the ford ecosport.

The CHR is a decent seller in the rest of the world and I suspect the Corolla Cross will be as well. China is one particular market that will buy these.

So what is this supposed to be, a smaller Rav4? IMO the Rav4 dimensions are essentially perfect for an everyday taller wagon. I refuse to call it an SUV.

Toyota has verified the “Cross” will never see US shores and is a foreign market offering only.

Back