Cordless Tool Batteries

I have a bunch of Milwaukee M18 tools and 3 Milwaukee batteries. Zero problems with OEM M18 batteries but problems with aftermarket M18 batteries.

A few Ryobi tools with 18V batteries. Both Ryobi OEM batteries died and would not accept a charge. One aftermarket battery for my Ryobi 18V tools still working

I thought the basics of LiIon batteries were they were good for 1000 charged. Certainly was no where close to that with the Ryobi batteries. Nor the aftermarket ones for Milwaukee M18.

I have had my 3 Milwaukee M18 batteries and tools for over 4 years now and have had Zero problems with them.... I can't say why the aftermarket ones don't work as well other than the quality of the internals matters...

I have a bunch of Milwaukee M18 tools and 3 Milwaukee batteries. Zero problems with OEM M18 batteries but problems with aftermarket M18 batteries.

A few Ryobi tools with 18V batteries. Both Ryobi OEM batteries died and would not accept a charge. One aftermarket battery for my Ryobi 18V tools still working

I thought the basics of LiIon batteries were they were good for 1000 charged. Certainly was no where close to that with the Ryobi batteries. Nor the aftermarket ones for Milwaukee M18.
I don’t buy aftermarket batteries. I also don’t buy Ryobi…

I‘ve got mostly Makita, and the ten year old Li-ion batteries work great, despite heavy, continuous use. I’ve got some Milwaukee as well. Same story with OE batteries. Watch for sales from Home Depot, I was at HD yesterday and they had some good prices on both Makita and Milwaukee batteries.

Aftermarket batteries have never worked well for my Dewalt tools so I am not surprised about failed M18 knockoffs. However, I have five or six Ryobi 18v batteries that are still going strong after 3 years; even the ones that get daily use in my mini leaf blower. @Donald how old are your Ryobi batteries, and are they stored in extreme hot/cold?

My 5 AH 20 V Dewalt battery has been in service for 4 years, mostly with a weed trimmer and reciprocating saw. It’s like new. I recently purchased a Waitley 5.0 knockoff and it has done well for one year so far. My two 2.0 AH 20 V Dewalt batteries for my impact driver having been doing fine for three years.

My M-18 batteries of the 2.0 and 3.0 size are two years old and doing fine but with less frequent use on a power ratchet, a small impact wrench and a car vacuum.

Last edited:
I don’t buy aftermarket batteries. I also don’t buy Ryobi…

I‘ve got mostly Makita, and the ten year old Li-ion batteries work great, despite heavy, continuous use. I’ve got some Milwaukee as well. Same story with OE batteries. Watch for sales from Home Depot, I was at HD yesterday and they had some good prices on both Makita and Milwaukee batteries.
I bought a few Ryobi tools (3) as Milwaukee did not have what I wanted. At least not when I was looking. But I first see if Milwaukee has what I need.

Interesting. I have had EXCELLENT results with M12 aftermarket batteries. Including some with nominally higher mA ratings than Milwaukee sells. I use my M12 tools pretty hard.

I know nothing of Ryobi. Is there a Mil => Ryobi adapter?

As others have stated: I have nothing but crap for aftermarket DeWalt 20V batteries. Tried 3, PURE JUNK.

Interesting. I have had EXCELLENT results with M12 aftermarket batteries. Including some with nominally higher mA ratings than Milwaukee sells. I use my M12 tools pretty hard.

As others have stated: I have nothing but crap for aftermarket DeWalt 20V batteries. Tried 3, PURE JUNK.
Good idea to look at adapter.

I've also had bad luck with aftermarket batteries. I have a few of the Milwaukee M12 tools (ratchet, die grinder, grease gun) and love the tools, but some of my older M12 batteries weren't holding a charge very long. I bought batteries on Amazon and they lasted maybe 2 weeks before they held less of a charge than the older M12 batteries. Lesson learned, and I'll be dropping the money on new M12 batteries soon.

I've only bought the DeWalt batteries for my DeWalt impacts (I have 3 DeWalt impacts and a drill) and those batteries have been excellent. They are very expensive though.

I bought a few Ryobi tools (3) as Milwaukee did not have what I wanted. At least not when I was looking. But I first see if Milwaukee has what I need.
May I humbly suggest Makita if Milwaukee doesn’t have what you need?

Makita was a pioneer in cordless tools. They have a long history of developing and improving battery technology, as well as quality construction and durability in hard use. My 40 year old Makita corded drill is still going strong. My 30 year old Makita cordless is still going strong.

Ryobi is consumer grade. Decent, but not the top of the line. They sell at a lower price point than Milwaukee or Makita (or Dewalt, or Bosch). Fine for infrequent use, but not what I would recommend for a serious, or professional, user.

aftermarket batteries are usually junk.

Vibration is one of the causes of battery death.

I have had 4 Milwaukee M!8 batteries die. 1 6.0 has almost no use and it doesn't last or put out much power. I only use this battery on a light now. Its useless on an impact or circular saw.

I bought a few knock off M12 batteries off Amazon and they have all been excellent. Ive never tried a knock off M18 though.

AvE did some testing of aftermarkets and at least the ones he had sucked in the cold.

I buy generic or aftermarket for a lot of things but never for my cordless tool batteries. Also I'm not usually a safety nerd or a fear-monger but li-ion fires aren't exactly a picnic.

Last edited:
I’ve had more than one Milwaukee battery go bad but mine also get used day in and day out continuously and beat around by careless people (which I put a stop too). But anyway each time I just took them to Home Depot and get them replaced except when they don’t have batteries in stock and I have to wait. I don’t think I’d even bother wasting money on replacement batteries that aren’t the same brand as the tool. I don’t think I’d buy anymore of that Ryobi stuff though I haven’t used it but my uncle has it and a friend and it’s alright but they aren’t a serious user either. Stick with the two M’s for power tools Milwaukee and Makita.

Ryobi is consumer grade. Decent, but not the top of the line. They sell at a lower price point than Milwaukee or Makita (or Dewalt, or Bosch). Fine for infrequent use, but not what I would recommend for a serious, or professional, user.
This is spot on. I have lots of Ryobi tools that share the same five or six 18v batteries. All of the tools and batteries work just fine for the infrequent use they see. If I were a pro I would definitely get the higher end brands.

So the adapters that allow a Milwaukee battery in a Ryobi tool, how is battery management handled? Is it all in the battery or split between tool and battery. If split then one would assume Ryobi battery management is different than Milwaukee. The adapters look too cheap to be able to convert Ryobi battery management to Milwaukee.

So the adapters that allow a Milwaukee battery in a Ryobi tool, how is battery management handled? Is it all in the battery or split between tool and battery. If split then one would assume Ryobi battery management is different than Milwaukee. The adapters look too cheap to be able to convert Ryobi battery management to Milwaukee.
Actually I have no idea. Never owned one. I suspect there is no electronics, tool OH and such control is in tool, and battery drain and charge is in battery

Back