Copart find " truth in lending post".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: GON
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I’d never touch a car with a maintenance history like that. That car lived at the dealer, riddled with problems.

I have the SD Connect STAR MB diagnoses system. Does a great job of isolating errors. I am concerned about the amount of electrical errors, if in fact the car becomes salvageable.

The 2004-2006 W220 is actually a pretty easy car to service, once the initial investment is made about how they differ from many other cars. The W220 has a lot of computers, etc, along with a fiber optic ring.....

They do seem to drop off in value compared to a 2007 S550 as that was the last year before the new body style. As for the airmatic, I suppose you might be able to power up the air pump which I think is under the car. If the electronics are burnt then you probably can't put the key in the ignition to power up the system. Did it come with keys?

I see one key on the tie-wrap around the steering wheel (where coparts secures keys), not sure if there is a second key. The 2007 S-class (w221s) use almost the same design for suspension as the s-class w220s (so I have read, never inspected a W221). The W221s are coming down in price, I saw a very nice 2008, one owner senior citizen in Florida, low miles, for under 15k. Son was selling as Dad was no longer able to drive. I thought about buying it..... but came back to earth....

The airmatic pump runs on twelve volts, but the airmatic valve is what controls sending air to each shock. I don't see how to get the valve to operate without some of the electronics working.

I am not sure what is going on under the hood to the wiring harness. Likely FUBAR, but always a slight chance the fire was external, and the under the hood damage is not catastrophic... I am not counting on it though.

Recognized those pictures from Benzworld, where they were posted in the W220 forum...and yeah, you just KNEW that there had to be something like "Engine Fire" that wasn't disclosed!!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Recognized those pictures from Benzworld, where they were posted in the W220 forum...and yeah, you just KNEW that there had to be something like "Engine Fire" that wasn't disclosed!!

He probably has at least that much in parts though. Audio system parts, airmatic, pump, steering wheel, airbags, seats, dash, etc.

In case any cares, picked up the s500 from the auction lot early this morning. The front bumper was taped to the hood to keep it on the body. I was afraid to try and start it as I did not have a fire extinguisher. When I opened the door everthing was dead. The S500 was snow covered when I picked it up.

Made it home. Took out the fire extinguisher and placed it near the hood. Opened the hood and did a quick check, liked what I saw. I was tempted to clamp the fuel line, but decided to just hook up a battery pack and take a look.

Hooked up the battery pack, lights came right on in the trunk (battery is in trunk) . Went in the car, and everything lit up nicely. Turned the key and she started instantly. Let her run for a few minutes and backed her off the trailer. Parked her in the garage, and am kind of amazed.

What happened- the S500 was in a building that caught on fire. I am finding pieces of durock, so not sure exactly what happened. I do see some of the wiring harness shield exposed, so I have some work to do. I was hopeful when I saw things like windshield washer container unmelted, yet the headlights are melted.

I will need a hood, a front bumper with parktronic, a right fender, and left and right mirrors. The radio works, but the climate control display appears dead.

So how does the bumper get damaged if it was just close to a fire? Maybe they did that when they towed it.

Dude, when that W220 is fixed up it will be a sweet ride!

If it was me, I'd think about a new windshield(OES Saint-Gobain Sekurit or Pilkington) installed by someone who knows what they are doing and not a hack job. Since you said it was a building fire, fires create drafts - I wouldn't be surprised if you find Durock/sheetrock dust and ash in unexpected places, cement is alkaline so you'll need to do a through job of getting as much of it off the chassis. Sounds like a building electrical fire happened.

I would keep the battery disconnected while it's parked unattended in your garage, until you have verified that there are no shorts in the electrical system.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
So how does the bumper get damaged if it was just close to a fire? Maybe they did that when they towed it.

Bumper had considerable heat damage, which does not show up well in the pics. I sense it just added weight stress at the plastic mount points and fell off. The S500 will need a new bumper, along with a new windshield, hood, right fender, and mirrors.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Dude, when that W220 is fixed up it will be a sweet ride!

If it was me, I'd think about a new windshield(OES Saint-Gobain Sekurit or Pilkington) installed by someone who knows what they are doing and not a hack job. Since you said it was a building fire, fires create drafts - I wouldn't be surprised if you find Durock/sheetrock dust and ash in unexpected places, cement is alkaline so you'll need to do a through job of getting as much of it off the chassis. Sounds like a building electrical fire happened.

Yes, I have got to figure out the windshield, thanks for the suggestions. Sense you are saying windshield replacement is not a do it yourself project?

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I would keep the battery disconnected while it's parked unattended in your garage, until you have verified that there are no shorts in the electrical system.

Thanks, I shared your concern. After removing all the charred parts, the inspection led me to believe there was not a risk of a electrical fire. I have the battery charger on it for two days at 10amps, all seems well.

Here are a few pics with the charred stuff out, and the headlights working (they are badly melted and deformed but still work).

Last edited:
Sense you are saying windshield replacement is not a do it yourself project?

Windshield replacement typically isn't but most of the "pros" out there are either hack jobs or are good craftsmen but need to meet their daily quotas and take shortcuts because they need to. I was talking to the Safelite tech who came out for a windshield replacement and he tells me newbies get trained on rental cars and how somethings like long knives are banned but the expensive tools sometimes don't work. He also does side jobs. Things are only made worse these days with the flood of Chinese glass and now Chinese-made urethane.

If you have the means to buy glass from Mygrant or a auto glass wholesaler, are willing to invest in the tools and have the dexterity to put one in, I don't see why not, as long as you use a quality urethane system(either high-modulus or the newer "universal" modulus/rapid cure Dow Betaseal/Sika Sikatack systems - use the system as intended with its primers and prep chemicals) and take the time to cut out the old glass, check the pinchweld for rust or corrosion as well as replace the OEM moldings with OEM parts and dry-fit the windshield before laying down the urethane.

Last edited:
In these situations we have sellers looking to get more money than they could otherwise get and buyers thinking they are getting the sale of the century.

One of the two parties is bound to be disappointed.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Is it worth the many headaches to buy that Benz with fire damage ?

The man has a garage full of tools, and it seems a desire and drive (Pun intended) to fix things.

I think by BITOG balls-of-steel standards, he is in the El Torro/Elephant category.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Sense you are saying windshield replacement is not a do it yourself project?

Windshield replacement typically isn't but most of the "pros" out there are either hack jobs or are good craftsmen but need to meet their daily quotas and take shortcuts because they need to. I was talking to the Safelite tech who came out for a windshield replacement and he tells me newbies get trained on rental cars and how somethings like long knives are banned but the expensive tools sometimes don't work. He also does side jobs. Things are only made worse these days with the flood of Chinese glass and now Chinese-made urethane.

If you have the means to buy glass from Mygrant or a auto glass wholesaler, are willing to invest in the tools and have the dexterity to put one in, I don't see why not, as long as you use a quality urethane system(either high-modulus or the newer "universal" modulus/rapid cure Dow Betaseal/Sika Sikatack systems - use the system as intended with its primers and prep chemicals) and take the time to cut out the old glass, check the pinchweld for rust or corrosion as well as replace the OEM moldings with OEM parts and dry-fit the windshield before laying down the urethane.

NThach, thanks for the post. I lot of useful information- I never heard of Mygrant Glass, and spent some time on their web-site which has some very good info, thanks again.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
In these situations we have sellers looking to get more money than they could otherwise get and buyers thinking they are getting the sale of the century.

One of the two parties is bound to be disappointed.

SeaJay, I am a very happy camper. Yesterday I spent more time accessing the work, and there is more work the more I access, but I am optimistic all within my abilities.

Mr. Nice, good question and I do ask myself that from time to time. I am in my 50's kids have grown and moved out of state, not sure what else I can do with the spare time I occasionally have. It gives a lot of satisfaction, and sometimes a huge headache...

Not sure I can ever justify a 100k vehicle, I was looking at replacing my 2007 F-350 with a 2017 F-350 (bare bones model), and could not feel good about spending 37k. I don't feel so bad spending likely 3k-5k getting a full size s-call sedan, dealer maintained, with 43k miles. Yes, time and risk is involved.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

The man has a garage full of tools, and it seems a desire and drive (Pun intended) to fix things.

I think by BITOG balls-of-steel standards, he is in the El Torro/Elephant category.

Pandus, you are right, the drive and desire is there. It provides a lot of satisfaction getting things running. I am starting to forget some of the tools I have, and am occasionally buying a specialty tool only to find I already have it. Guess it sometimes comes with getting old..

Last edited:

Mr. Nice, good question and I do ask myself that from time to time. I am in my 50's kids have grown and moved out of state, not sure what else I can do with the spare time I occasionally have. It gives a lot of satisfaction, and sometimes a huge headache...

Not sure I can ever justify a 100k vehicle, I was looking at replacing my 2007 F-350 with a 2017 F-350 (bare bones model), and could not feel good about spending 37k. I don't feel so bad spending likely 3k-5k getting a full size s-call sedan, dealer maintained, with 43k miles. Yes, time and risk is involved.

Good for you. Pretty cool hobby. I find myself tinkering with my own fleet of non exciting cars for something to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back