Cooper AT3s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been looking hard at these tires. Can't seem to find any reviews on line, zip, zero, nada. Anyone have them? Comments...? Thanks!

I've been thinking about these too, curious if anyone has had first hand experience with them. They look like a good tire. Discountiredirect.com has them back ordered, they say it will be a while before they get any in because Cooper is way behind on making them.

Just ordered up some AT3's today. Putting them on late tomorrow. They are 285-70-17 for my Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 4X4. Gonna snow a little Wed. so I'll get back with a review.

Thought you were going to go with the Duratrac's???

Trader....hehehehe.

it's ok, I like having tires that are different, get cool compliments all the time.

Looked at Cooper's, but they don't have the same mud dispersing capability

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever

Trader....hehehehe.

it's ok, I like having tires that are different, get cool compliments all the time.

Yeah, the more I read about them the less I liked them. It seems every gas company truck around here has them since they can only buy Goodyear tires so I wouldn't be unique that's for sure. My truck is white too as is every gas truck. Most reviews claimed they were sqirmy on a heavy pick up and wore out fast. I've been dealing with my wife's VERY squirmy, scary Conti. winter tires and won't take the chance on the Duratracs on my 3/4 ton truck when they cost over a grand to buy.

Make sure you report back. My choices back here are either the Duratracs or AT3. Will probably go with the AT3 as I only need a C and not a E for highway driving. The AT3 seems like it has better road manners that the duratracs. My father has the duratracs- awesome tire for gravel roads and farm work but I dont travel much gravel anymore which is why I'm leaning torwards the AT3. Also the AT3 is made in the USA

cooperAT3s.jpg

Here is a pic of my new AT3s 285-70-17" next to the stock Mich. in 265-70-17". The AT3s are only a hair bigger (was looking for more height). The AT3s have 60lbs in them and the Mich. are off the rims. Noticed the engine revs more to get up to speed so I'm guessing I'll lose a little MPG. AT3s have bigger tread blocks in person than I thought (nice). I'll report back when I get a few miles on them and when I put them to the test ie dirt roads, off road, snow, etc.
tiresizediff.jpg

ram2500.jpg

Here is my new to me truck the tires are on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever

Trader....hehehehe.

Yeah, the more I read about them the less I liked them. It seems every gas company truck around here has them since they can only buy Goodyear tires so I wouldn't be unique that's for sure. My truck is white too as is every gas truck. Most reviews claimed they were sqirmy on a heavy pick up and wore out fast. I've been dealing with my wife's VERY squirmy, scary Conti. winter tires and won't take the chance on the Duratracs on my 3/4 ton truck when they cost over a grand to buy.

Don't know what to tell you....I have the Duratrac's on my 3/4 ton 4x4 cummins diesel 2500 truck and wouldn't trade them for the world.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner

ram2500.jpg

Here is my new to me truck the tires are on.

Those tires should be just fine on a truck that doesn't have to deal with much mud. Our truck sees a ton of mud, your basic A/T tires don't cut it out here.

Regarding the squirly possibility I've heard too of the Duratrac's...Discount tire, where I bought mine says the majority of owners who come in with that complaint are running too low of pressure, and most of them seem to be owners of 17" plus tire sizes; I run 16's on my diesel.

As to the fast wearing of the tread compound possibility; I can never seem to get more then 25k miles per set of tires on my dodge truck anyways, so if I get at least that I'm happy.

Since I got mine from Discount tire they come with a 40k mile warranty, they usually always pay for 2 new tires every few years anyways.

I've run these tires through more mud than I ever though I could and they were pretty good for an AT. They are still on my old F150 and I now run 20 psi in them through the muddy woods without issue. They are Adventuro A/T GT Radial made by Firestone. They have been discontinued though. I beleive the AT3s will be even better. I've run larger pure mud tires before and they are great in mud and nothing else. Noisey on the hwy., bad MPG, downright scary in winter!!!
oldtrucktires.jpg

Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
looks good, how do you like the new ram? it's the only rig i would consider trading my dakota for.

Too early to tell. Price was right so I got it. Couldn't afford a diesel but impressed with the Hemi (smoked both rear tires on my test drive heh heh). Its got lots of room inside and out with the 4 doors and 8' bed (a combo hard to find). Just gotta watch with the extra length coming from driving a single cab truck. I've owned many small trucks (S-10's) and will never own a little truck again (can't haul chit).

ridgerunner said:
. I've run larger pure mud tires before and they are great in mud and nothing else. Noisey on the hwy., bad MPG, downright scary in winter!!!
Agreed....I've never ran pure mud tires and don't ever care too. Living in Colorado, a mud tire can actually be extremely dangerous, so no I've never ran pure mud tires either and never will.

The duratrac's are not a mud tire, just want to point that out for thread followers.

I probably would've gone with the AT3's, as they were a tire I was looking at too; but I couldn't afford the price they were asking.

I'm sure your truck will do just fine; nice truck btw....if it's anything like mine, it won't stay clean and white....mine travels a 20 mile muddy clay road twice a day to the nearest blacktop.

Problem with the diesel cummins, is the front end is so heavy and there's no weight in the rear-end.. I've had BFG KO's, Revo's, Michelins, Yokohama ATs, didn't have any luck with any of those tires for total all around traction, even in the snow they were terrible.

So I have yet to go with the same tire twice on this truck, when the duratrac's were installed I had my doubts about them too; however after being the only truck that could make it up our [censored] road and still hold it's rear-end on the icy black top, I was sold....the only main reason I'm partial to them.

I now have them on 2 of my trucks; the 3rd truck however will probably get the Hankook dynapro AT tire, which are cheaper then the coopers. I think the coopers are pricier only because they have to be ordered in.

Definitely keep us posted, I don't need tires on my 3rd truck til next spring, if Hankook's price goes up like the Duratrac's did - after I bought my 2 sets - then Cooper's will be the one I choose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
AT3s are great in the mud.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6btrc_f1GuY

I've seen this vid. before. That wasn't much mud in the vid. Flat ground, muddy water with hard bottom. Could have made it through there with my wife's grand am and bald tires easy. I'd have to power wash it for an hour before I got home though or I'd be in the dog house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back