Michelin tires

I’m not thrilled with the LTX M/S on my F150, they have a very harsh impact profile to the stock Toyos. But the other Michelins I’ve had have been above average.

I’ve been smitten with the 6-7 sets of Conti’s I’ve had, plus they’re generally 80% the cost of Michelin.
I agree. Put a set of the LTX M/S on my Sierra and I’m disappointed with the noise level and ride. I attribute most of the ride issue to the crackhead clown at Discount Tire that balanced them. Overall the noise and smooth ride was better with the original equipment Goodyears. Never thought I’d say that…

Anyone else have these tires which are great at first but never last? Just went to a set of Falken as I am done with bogus reviews that never seem to relate to my use.
Never had problems with Michelin. Wear depends on the operating environment and the driver/vehicle in question.

Let's see...

Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 on the S600 (a 4500 lb car with 600 ftlb of torque) - holding up well.
Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 on the SL600 (lighter, just as much torque) - holding up well.
Michelin LTX AS on the Tundra - holding up well.

In fact, a quick measurement of the Tundra tread depth suggests an 80,000 mile life.

The SL600 has staggered tires, so, the tread life won't be great, but the car will age out the tires before they wear out given how much it is driven.

The S600 gets driven like a sports car, now and then. Big heavy car. Over 500 HP. Hard cornering, hard acceleration. The Michelins last pretty well under those conditions. I've got 10,000 miles on my second set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires. First set was AS3+, now the AS4. I don't have the exact life in front of my, but it was about 40,000 miles on the first set.

So, for a tire with excellent grip, on a car with incredible power, and how I drive that car, 40,000 is a great life.

I have been very happy with the Michelins on my cars.

I put a set on Contis on my friend Mani's 2019 CR-V EX-L replacing the stock rubber. Unbelievable difference. I was blown away at the difference. I am sold.
I purchased my first set ever of Continental’s. I bought the Pure Contact LS for the 300.

I am completely satisfied and I am a “tire snob”. They handle more like an UHP than a Gran Tour tire. For my particular car they seem to be well suited.

I wonder how they would perform on the Tesla? What does Tesla use as OE?

Short version - ?

Longer version - Michelin is a company and a brand. Which exactly tire model do you have on your mind?

Krzyś

As others, also like the Continentals. In my case the DWS (latest is the 06). Ride well, handle both rain and mild snow in their early years, but they do get noisy in later life. Wear lettering tells you when you can be at risk when driving in snow, but for wet and try good until close to worn. Have been tempted by the Michelin's (All Season), but from everything I have read no reason to change.

I agree. Put a set of the LTX M/S on my Sierra and I’m disappointed with the noise level. Overall the noise and smooth ride was better with the original equipment Goodyears. Never thought I’d say that…
That’s a statement I thought I would never hear.
Certain Good Year tires get kudos in some areas but generally I’ve been disappointed with every set except the Ultra Terrain’s (a Discount Tire exclusive) that I have on my truck now. I bought them because of a Labor Day deal and am pleased with them.

I’m not thrilled with the LTX M/S on my F150, they have a very harsh impact profile to the stock Toyos. But the other Michelins I’ve had have been above average.

I’ve been smitten with the 6-7 sets of Conti’s I’ve had, plus they’re generally 80% the cost of Michelin.
Really? These are some of the best tires out there. They ride great on my truck.

I'm through with Michelin. Or rather they are through with me. They quit making the size I use for the IceX3s I have. They were always sidewall cracking before the tread wore out anyway.

Let's see...

Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 on the S600 (a 4500 lb car with 600 ftlb of torque) - holding up well.
Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 on the SL600 (lighter, just as much torque) - holding up well.
Michelin LTX AS on the Tundra - holding up well.

In fact, a quick measurement of the Tundra tread depth suggests an 80,000 mile life.

The SL600 has staggered tires, so, the tread life won't be great, but the car will age out the tires before they wear out given how much it is driven.

The S600 gets driven like a sports car, now and then. Big heavy car. Over 500 HP. Hard cornering, hard acceleration. The Michelins last pretty well under those conditions. I've got 10,000 miles on my second set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires. First set was AS3+, now the AS4. I don't have the exact life in front of my, but it was about 40,000 miles on the first set.

So, for a tire with excellent grip, on a car with incredible power, and how I drive that car, 40,000 is a great life.

I have been very happy with the Michelins on my cars.
Okay. But this is BITOG and all we really want to know is if the tires on the ‘32 Packard are the originals like the paint and interior. If not what are you riding on in a ‘32?

Pilot Sport 4S (18", GTI), winter: 17" CrossClimate+
Pilot SuperSport/PSS* (17", Cooper, BMW spec), winter: 16" Alpin 5
Pilot Sport 4 (16", Porsche)

No complaints. Except for my PSS HN spec I previously ran on my GTI.
Sparse wet performance, probably due its particular HN/Hyundai spec.

I purchased my first set ever of Continental’s. I bought the Pure Contact LS for the 300.

I am completely satisfied and I am a “tire snob”. They handle more like an UHP than a Gran Tour tire. For my particular car they seem to be well suited.

I wonder how they would perform on the Tesla? What does Tesla use as OE?
Our car came with the Continental ProContact rubber. I cannot say if all Teslas use them; probably not?

The ride on smooth pavement is not objectionable. But harsh impacts transmit much more directly to the truck than the Toyo Open Country did.
That’s also what I noticed. Maybe because of higher load rating? I don’t know but my wife even noticed and rarely does she care about car-truck issues…

Back