Cool Video on Testing Additive layers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just was meeting with my rep from Lubrizol this week and he tuned me onto this cool video showing how they use an atomic knife to sample and analyze the formation of tribofilms (aw/fm/ep chemistry) on a wear surface. Pretty cool!

Sweet
wink.gif

Is it public information as to which additive manufacturer supplies any given oil blender ? I'm aware of the Chevron/Oronite connection, but which companies buy additive packages from Afton, Lubrizol, etc. ?

I always figured it was kept secret but never looked into it.

It's generally not public knowledge. Depending on the size of the blender and the types of products sometimes they may use more than one.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Is it public information as to which additive manufacturer supplies any given oil blender ? I'm aware of the Chevron/Oronite connection, but which companies buy additive packages from Afton, Lubrizol, etc. ?

I always figured it was kept secret but never looked into it.

Well, SOPUS/XOM both use INFINEUM. But then they both own INFINEUM, LOL!, so that one's a bit of a no-brainer
grin.gif

XOM also uses XOM Chemical as their supplier for AN's, POE, PAO....etc.

This video makes me think that sticking with one brand might be smart. I would imagine that jumping from brand to brand would mean that the 'layer' is constantly being removed and replaced by the new oils chemistry?

I think I once read that this is why wear is higher early in an OCI and lessens later in the OCI......which would support longer OCIs and synthetics..

Originally Posted By: pbm
This video makes me think that sticking with one brand might be smart. I would imagine that jumping from brand to brand would mean that the 'layer' is constantly being removed and replaced by the new oils chemistry?

It really depends on how the chemistry interacts with each other. It's not like when you change brands that it unilaterally removes the entire layer and then puts down a new one. The layer is also in a state of constant flux, sacrificially wearing away and rebuilding itself just in normal operations. A well blended additive package works synergistically to maintain the film at a range of temperatures and pressures. Sometimes the additives in different brands work fine together, sometimes not.

As a general rule I recommend sticking to one brand because it provides consistency for the chemistry and its easier to recognize if something changes in your engine. If you are constantly trying different grades and brands it dilutes the reliability of things like UOA etc.

Yep, that must be why our fleet trucks run regularly to insane high mileages.

Example: 04 GMC Savana 3500 6.0 gas, everyday weight 9000+ pounds, all city driving with stationary operation as well.

500k miles, sold with no leaks, no smoke, no consumption.

oil? Whatever synthetic was on sale, cheapest filters, always changed only by OLM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back