Continental Extreme Contact DWS

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are new from Continental. I don't know if they are going to discontinue the Extreme Contacts are what. They been on the market for over 6 years now. They always rated in the top three in their category. So the DWS should be the same way. They looks like they have a nice aggressive tread on them.

They have a Treadwear rating of 540, Temperature A, Traction A. They seem to be on the light side also.

Conti%20tire%20intro%20014%20Alpha-thumb-555x416.jpg

Looks good, but personally I think I am done with all-season tires for winter. I'll be going back to dedicated winter tires for next season on our cars. Don't mind using a high performance all-season tire during spring/summer/fall though.

And let's hope they don't suffer from the same balancing/out-of-round issues as the old ones did.

BTW, looks like they also released a new max perf. summer tire: ContiExtreme DW. 340 treadwear rating and significantly cheaper than CSC3... I wonder where they cut corners...

Last edited:
The ExtremeContact DWS (DWS for Dry, Wet & Snow) is Continental's Ultra High Performance All-Season radial developed for drivers of sports cars, sports coupes, performance sedans and sport trucks. The ExtremeContact DWS is designed to satisfy their year-round driving needs by blending dry and wet road performance with light snow and slush traction.

ExtremeContact DWS features an advanced silica-based, high-grip, all-season tread compound molded into a unique asymmetrical tread design with stable shoulder blocks and a continuous, notched intermediate rib on the outboard side to enhance responsiveness and cornering stability. The center of the tread features independent blocks separated by high-angle, criss-cross grooves to provide the biting edges necessary to deliver wet road and light snow traction while independent inboard shoulder blocks help disperse water to further enhance hydroplaning resistance and foul weather traction.

The ExtremeContact DWS features Tuned Performance Indicators — visible letters molded into the second rib from the outboard shoulder to alert drivers of the tire's performance levels. A visible "DWS" indicates the tire has sufficient tread depth for dry conditions, as well as wet roads and light snow. After the "S" has worn away, the remaining "DW" indicates the tire only has sufficient tread depth for dry and most wet road conditions. And after the "W" and "S" have both worn away, the remaining "D" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions only.

The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced with spirally wound jointless nylon cap plies to provide long-term integrity under high-speed conditions while reducing weight and helping to provide more uniform ride quality.

These are tires I am considering in the fall when I need to replace the current ones on my mazda6.

I currently have Nokian WR G2's that work real well year round on my wife's 2005 Subaru turbo wagon. They look similar in various tread patterns but are biased for winter while summer performance is well meh.

These look interesting if price is right. Nokians are quite pricey especially in 215/45/17.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
if they dropped the treadwear rating down to 200 or 220 or maybe even 180 id be a lot more interested.

The truth is you and nearly all drivers would do fine on plain jane all-seasons in about 90% of driving. Somewhere in that last 10% the extra grip counts. However to use a summer tire to full potential on legal roads would lead to a loss of license fast. Even running these (ultra) high performance tires would lead you to jail fast.

However to some that 5% of drive time counts.

You should be writing copy for Conti.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
The ExtremeContact DWS (DWS for Dry, Wet & Snow) is Continental's Ultra High Performance All-Season radial developed for drivers of sports cars, sports coupes, performance sedans and sport trucks. The ExtremeContact DWS is designed to satisfy their year-round driving needs by blending dry and wet road performance with light snow and slush traction.

ExtremeContact DWS features an advanced silica-based, high-grip, all-season tread compound molded into a unique asymmetrical tread design with stable shoulder blocks and a continuous, notched intermediate rib on the outboard side to enhance responsiveness and cornering stability. The center of the tread features independent blocks separated by high-angle, criss-cross grooves to provide the biting edges necessary to deliver wet road and light snow traction while independent inboard shoulder blocks help disperse water to further enhance hydroplaning resistance and foul weather traction.

The ExtremeContact DWS features Tuned Performance Indicators — visible letters molded into the second rib from the outboard shoulder to alert drivers of the tire's performance levels. A visible "DWS" indicates the tire has sufficient tread depth for dry conditions, as well as wet roads and light snow. After the "S" has worn away, the remaining "DW" indicates the tire only has sufficient tread depth for dry and most wet road conditions. And after the "W" and "S" have both worn away, the remaining "D" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions only.

The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced with spirally wound jointless nylon cap plies to provide long-term integrity under high-speed conditions while reducing weight and helping to provide more uniform ride quality.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
if they dropped the treadwear rating down to 200 or 220 or maybe even 180 id be a lot more interested.

The truth is you and nearly all drivers would do fine on plain jane all-seasons in about 90% of driving. Somewhere in that last 10% the extra grip counts. However to use a summer tire to full potential on legal roads would lead to a loss of license fast. Even running these (ultra) high performance tires would lead you to jail fast.

For some of us, that "5% of drive time" isn't nearly so small a percentage. Not everyone sees driving as a technical exercise in getting from point "A" to point "B".

It also pays to have a UHP tire on a vehicle which can make the most of the tire's capabilities. Pirelli P-Zeros would be a waste on a Toyota Echo, and yes, I've seen it. At the same time, having tires that limit a chassis' ability to perform to its maximum not only diminishes the driving experience, but reduces the vehicle's safety margins.

Just because a tire is rated to 186+MPH doesn't mean that it has to be doing that to show what it is capable of. Witnessing what a high-performance tire can do on an auto-cross course, laid out in a parking lot, can change perceptions of just how little speed has to do with performance.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Originally Posted By: rjundi

For some of us, that "5% of drive time" isn't nearly so small a percentage. Not everyone sees driving as a technical exercise in getting from point "A" to point "B".

It also pays to have a UHP tire on a vehicle which can make the most of the tire's capabilities. Pirelli P-Zeros would be a waste on a Toyota Echo, and yes, I've seen it. At the same time, having tires that limit a chassis' ability to perform to its maximum not only diminishes the driving experience, but reduces the vehicle's safety margins.

Just because a tire is rated to 186+MPH doesn't mean that it has to be doing that to show what it is capable of. Witnessing what a high-performance tire can do on an auto-cross course, laid out in a parking lot, can change perceptions of just how little speed has to do with performance.

Cheers

Well said!

I heard the DWS are working well for some of the Audi guys so far. I have a friend sold on a +0 set for his 2007 A4q. $125 is a decent price for 245/45-17 A few tires come well-priced in that size, cheaper than 235/45-17 for some reason.

btw- I don't write for Conti, rather cut-n-paste, just forgot to add quotes. Although technically an infraction, I did not try to pass the work off as my own.

this is a killer tire. just had them installed on my 05 E500 4 matic. what a magic carpet ride lol. quite and smooth, defiantly worth $125 ea.

Aldo

My friend is hot for these for his A4.

I'm considering them for +$20 more than the new Eagle GT, which I believe is a great tire too. I only need 2 and the tires are for my wife, who really does want a bad-weather tire, so were probally getting them. If you read the staff test review, in particlular the spider graphs of wet performance, it's convincing.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/spiderChart.jsp?ttid=119

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back