Consumer Reports 2021 Least Reliable Trucks - GM Dominates?

That is great. If everyone bought vehicles strictly based on reliability, life would be boring. I mean Toyota makes some pretty boring cars, but they are reliable. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to cars. I think growing up in the 80's has skewed my perception of domestic brands.

I think the powertrain in the Jeep Wranglers is solid.
Yeah different types of consumers out there for sure. Some just want an appliance they don't have to think about, Toyota typically fills that need.

I do have to say though that my girlfriends Rav4 hasn't been trouble free, it's had oil leaks and some other not so easy repairs. But overall I do believe it would make it to 200-300K easier than say a Ford Escape.

Overall IMO a total crap shoot. I've had Honda's that were complete piles of crap from new and Ford's and Jeep's that have been great overall and a lot more personality. Drive what makes you happy because all makes have issues at some point.

8L90E- Wide spread shifting issues which require a fluid change immediately, which may or may not remedy the situation. GM has no permanent fix for when/if the problem presents itself. So GM's remedy for that is to stick it in as many vehicles as possible where the problem is currently snowballing for them. Brilliant plan.
This is what is so frustrating about the 8 speed problems, GM doesn't have a sure fire fix. My dealer said they would try the fluid change and see if it worked (it didn't). They then offered to put in a whole new transmission, but they were currently doing 7 of them already so it would be a long wait and they couldn't guarantee the new transmission wouldn't have the same problem.

From what I understand, the original fluid would get condensation in it and not lubricate properly causing damage to the torque converter. I believe the people that say the fluid fixed their issues, but I also think those people probably got the new fluid before too much damage was done. Even then, it doesn't work for everyone. I got the new fluid at around 10k miles on my truck and I think the damage was already done.

If you want a new Silverado, I would find a way to spring for the 10 speed.

Yeah different types of consumers out there for sure. Some just want an appliance they don't have to think about, Toyota typically fills that need.

I do have to say though that my girlfriends Rav4 hasn't been trouble free, it's had oil leaks and some other not so easy repairs. But overall I do believe it would make it to 200-300K easier than say a Ford Escape.

Overall IMO a total crap shoot. I've had Honda's that were complete piles of crap from new and Ford's and Jeep's that have been great overall and a lot more personality. Drive what makes you happy because all makes have issues at some point.
Great points. I agree.

Ford-uses 10 speed that seems to work well and is sorted out.
Ram-realized they cant build a transmission to save their lives therefore bought possibly one of the best transmissions ever developed to put in truck.
Chevy-?????

That's not to say that these vehicles do not have other faults or weaknesses but out of the big 3 I would take a ram with a 5.7 any day.

Amen.
Make mine a regular cab, 4x4, with 8' box, black, grey interior, spray in liner.

My 78 year old grandfather will never even consider another toyota after his rav4 experience. He bought a new 2015 rav4, it was plagued with problems, last year I took him vehicle shopping. Traded the crappy Toyota in on a 2020 Kia seltos, in the 13 months of ownership so far, not 1 problem.

Right-and in the same thread somebody else says he is not having issues. Sorry-the information you provided is about as credible as some provided here and elsewhere. I'm not going back and forth on this issue.

I'm curious.

Why are the people who don't have problems more credible to you than the people who do have problems, provide video proof of their problems, and have the receipts from taking their trucks to the dealer over and over again?

They don't even drill down to years on that info.

Really useless!
It does say select 2019-2020 vehicles at the top of the page, but I agree that it's pretty useless to not be able to compare year ranges between different vehicles. It's also hard to judge reliability on new cars.

My 78 year old grandfather will never even consider another toyota after his rav4 experience. He bought a new 2015 rav4, it was plagued with problems, last year I took him vehicle shopping. Traded the crappy Toyota in on a 2020 Kia seltos, in the 13 months of ownership so far, not 1 problem.
That's funny, my girlfriends Rav4 is also a 2015 model. I had great luck with my last Hyundai product, a 2007 Elantra. Took it to ~130K with only needing standard maintenance and one sway bar link which was done under warranty. I'm sure it'll serve him well for a long time.

After owning many makes, the only ones I won't buy again are Honda and any GM product. The rest have all been fine. I actually really like the way GM vehicles drive, they've just had too many nit-picky issues.

You don’t have to worry about Fiat anymore. Peugeot jumped in to help.

Stellantis is the new name.
aw Peugeot (poo joe) i remember back in the 80's my grandma had the sedan diesel, and every day was a 50/50 shot on whether or not it would start...

Talk about the blind leading the blind. The only profitable brands that Stellantis sells are Jeep and Ram. I predict that both of these brands will be sold to a Chinese company to obtain cash before the entire ship sinks.
I seriously doubt they sell to the Chinese. That would turn off too many US buyers.

I seriously doubt they sell to the Chinese. That would turn off too many US buyers.
When the ship is sinking they will sell to whomever offers them the most money. The Chinese have accumulated the most money. This scenario has already been visited, contemplated, and rejected (for now). IMO, the one last hope that Stellantis has will be a bail-out by the French, Italian, and German (or EU) governments.

Got rid of my 2018 Silverado after 50,000 easy extremely well maintained highway miles.

Oil consumption, misfires, transmission shudder. No thanks. What you’re reading and hearing is true. My truck shook on the highway (Chevy Shake), I could deal with that, but when the transmission seems utterly confused on how to shift going up hills on the highway, or stutters and hiccups on country back roads just doing an easy 40 mph? You cut bait and never go back.

Reactions: wdn
They don't even drill down to years on that info.

Really useless!

This is just basic data for Carmax shoppers, and is looking at average cost and repair visits across all model years. They are painting a very simplistic picture of the reliability of a vehicle. "Good" model years are being averaged in with "bad" model years, etc. For people that are just out there shopping and need a car, they can look at the overall data and decide if they think it will be reliable. Other, more savvy buyers, will know that some years were better than others and look specifically for the "good" years.

The data serves a purpose for casual buyers. With this data, if the reliability number is low that is a pretty good indication there are very few good years. If the reliability rating is higher, that means there are more good years than bad years (or the data had a very small sample and is skewed.) In any event, expert buyers would most likely never use this data for a vehicle purchase.

Reactions: CKN
Back