Consumer Reports 2021 Least Reliable Trucks - GM Dominates?

I've been a GM guy all my life, but Gm's absolute refusal to compete in their bread and butter truck market boggles my mind.

First thing is the transmission options. For some reason they are extremely stingy with the 10 speed which so far has been trouble free. They force this flawed 8 speed down your throat with the 5.3 which they haven't updated since 2014. Then you need to order or find a 6.2 to get a 10 speed which instantly gets you into the high 50K range on price. Or buy a high dollar 5.3 starting at 50+ to get a 10 speed.

Meanwhile, you can get a reliable 8 speed ZF from Ram...
Meanwhile, you can get a 10 speed from ford with all their volume engines 2.7, 3.5, 5.0

Now back to the 5.3, GM's volume engine. Hasn't been updated since 2014, 355 HP 383 TQ gets spanked by Fords volume engine whether that means the 2.7, 3.5, or 5.0. Ram's volume engine, the 5.7 spanks the 5.3 as well. On top of that it takes E85 in order for the 5.3 to compete with either the 5.0 (which is flex fuel capable) or the 5.7. Then GM stops making flex capability standard equipment. GM doesn't have an option available for a larger than a 24 gallon fuel tank in anything with a back seat. Meanwhile ford has an option for 36 gallons, very attractive when towing with E85 which is where E85 really shines.

I have done a lot of towing with a 2015 5.3 sierra and the 5.3 does pretty good, only if you don't compare to the outclassing by the main competition.

GM ticks me off, and they're losing me as a buyer.

Bison with DMax is awesome. Chevy trucks are good, it's just a shame the 8speed has had issues. But again, some don't have any problems. Luck of the draw I guess.
I struggle with the need for 300 HP and even higher torque engines needing more than 6 speeds. It’s right there with 0w20 to squeeze out a hair more MPG …
As I have stated before … I prefer the power delivery of our L83 with the 6L80e over my Jeep V6/8 speed which is also a nice driveline … but to be honest with 4.10 gears a 6 speed would have been just fine … 4Lo does not really work well for me off-road … I’m an outdoorsman … not a rock crawler …
A bit different in a V6 Ram … so it makes sense to not have too many driveline combos.

I've been a GM guy all my life, but Gm's absolute refusal to compete in their bread and butter truck market boggles my mind.

First thing is the transmission options. For some reason they are extremely stingy with the 10 speed which so far has been trouble free. They force this flawed 8 speed down your throat with the 5.3 which they haven't updated since 2014. Then you need to order or find a 6.2 to get a 10 speed which instantly gets you into the high 50K range on price. Or buy a high dollar 5.3 starting at 50+ to get a 10 speed.

Meanwhile, you can get a reliable 8 speed ZF from Ram...
Meanwhile, you can get a 10 speed from ford with all their volume engines 2.7, 3.5, 5.0

Now back to the 5.3, GM's volume engine. Hasn't been updated since 2014, 355 HP 383 TQ gets spanked by Fords volume engine whether that means the 2.7, 3.5, or 5.0. Ram's volume engine, the 5.7 spanks the 5.3 as well. On top of that it takes E85 in order for the 5.3 to compete with either the 5.0 (which is flex fuel capable) or the 5.7. Then GM stops making flex capability standard equipment. GM doesn't have an option available for a larger than a 24 gallon fuel tank in anything with a back seat. Meanwhile ford has an option for 36 gallons, very attractive when towing with E85 which is where E85 really shines.

I have done a lot of towing with a 2015 5.3 sierra and the 5.3 does pretty good, only if you don't compare to the outclassing by the main competition.

GM ticks me off, and they're losing me as a buyer.
ONLY making 355 HP/383 torque is part of the mentality leading us to electric …
IMO, smells of testosterone overload

ONLY making 355 HP/383 torque is part of the mentality leading us to electric …
IMO, smells of testosterone overload
🤣 Ok, guy. Defend them if you want, but if the direct competition offers more for similar money don't be surprised when people want to jump ship with their hard earned money.

🤣 Ok, guy. Defend them if you want, but if the direct competition offers more for similar money don't be surprised when people want to jump ship with their hard earned money.
It‘s ridiculous already … your endless use of “spank” speaks volume of how the marketing bait is working …
You can buy 6.2L or DMax if you really need … but it’s seldom about need

The delta went away for owning an automatic transmissions two or three decades ago as far as mpg penalty.

Not really, every time I have driven a manual I can easily beat EPA

Drive the identical car as an auto and it’s almost impossible to achieve the EPA rating.

The way the epa tests a manual is flawed and the automatic is designed around the test not the real world.

It‘s ridiculous already … your endless use of “spank” speaks volume of how the marketing bait is working …
You can buy 6.2L or DMax if you really need … but it’s seldom about need
You can go ahead and keep speaking for yourself...

I'd be ok with the 5.3 if it wasn't plagued by GM's complete and utter incompetence when it comes to their latest transmission offerings. Let break it down shall we...

6L80E- Often needs rebuilding before 150,000 miles because of torque converter failures which destroy the transmission. Options to avoid this issue hinge on spending more money to defeat AFM

8L90E- Wide spread shifting issues which require a fluid change immediately, which may or may not remedy the situation. GM has no permanent fix for when/if the problem presents itself. So GM's remedy for that is to stick it in as many vehicles as possible where the problem is currently snowballing for them. Brilliant plan.

10L90E- No widespread issues reported, but lets put that transmission behind a 10K pay wall

Like I said I've been a GM guy all my life because their drivetrain has generally been better than the competition. My 05 with the 4L60E is closing in on 200K and the transmission is solid. I sure as hell expect GM to have a transmission that can handle 200K before a rebuild and right now I have my doubts.

Gentlemen, please avoid comments directed at each other, and avoid profanity.

If we keep the comments constructive, only about trucks, and unemotional, the thread can continue.

I left being a GM customer in mid -80s and have never looked back. As I have mentioned before that even if they make a Wheel barrow I won't buy.

Same reason I have mine, I am not sure if the lumped the 3/4 ton and up stuff in with the 1/2 ton stuff. 6.0/6L90E is bullet proof.
Living in a truck dominated area … I have seen a few not as “tow smart” as yourself … they buy an F150 eBoost for the tow rating … take the wife RV shopping 😳 (max) … and after the first trip (several wind and winding events) are trading in an upside down F150 for a $70k F250 … Lots of dynamics to towing …

Ford-uses 10 speed that seems to work well and is sorted out.
Ram-realized they cant build a transmission to save their lives therefore bought possibly one of the best transmissions ever developed to put in truck.
Chevy-?????

That's not to say that these vehicles do not have other faults or weaknesses but out of the big 3 I would take a ram with a 5.7 any day.

Not really, every time I have driven a manual I can easily beat EPA

Drive the identical car as an auto and it’s almost impossible to achieve the EPA rating.

The way the epa tests a manual is flawed and the automatic is designed around the test not the real world.
No-No it's not. I had a Subaru Legacy that beat the EPA, as well as my wife's Hyundai and my Silverado. You cant drive the same car manual-vs. automatic anyway. Few are offered. If the auto manufacturers listened to are the "enthusiasts" on this site and others-and offered manual transmissions on everything-the take rate would still be 5%. There is absolutely no advantage to manual transmissions anymore. Yea-you can talk about rebuild time-but very few keep a car long enough to wear out an automatic transmission-except the "thrifty ones" on here.

Last edited:
Which GM truck has the Allison Trans? I've heard they are bulletproof. Wasn't it designed by Ford and licensed to GM only?

Which GM truck has the Allison Trans? I've heard they are bulletproof. Wasn't it designed by Ford and licensed to GM only?
The Duramax and the old 8.1 had the 5/6 speed Allison, designed by Allison. The current Duramax uses the 10 speed branded Allison.

You can go ahead and keep speaking for yourself...

I'd be ok with the 5.3 if it wasn't plagued by GM's complete and utter incompetence when it comes to their latest transmission offerings. Let break it down shall we...

6L80E- Often needs rebuilding before 150,000 miles because of torque converter failures which destroy the transmission. Options to avoid this issue hinge on spending more money to defeat AFM

8L90E- Wide spread shifting issues which require a fluid change immediately, which may or may not remedy the situation. GM has no permanent fix for when/if the problem presents itself. So GM's remedy for that is to stick it in as many vehicles as possible where the problem is currently snowballing for them. Brilliant plan.

10L90E- No widespread issues reported, but lets put that transmission behind a 10K pay wall

Like I said I've been a GM guy all my life because their drivetrain has generally been better than the competition. My 05 with the 4L60E is closing in on 200K and the transmission is solid. I sure as hell expect GM to have a transmission that can handle 200K before a rebuild and right now I have my doubts.
It really doesn't make much sense and you'd think by 2021 and decades of having automatic transmissions these issues wouldn't exist. I'm constantly surprised by the decisions of vehicle manufacturers when it comes to product planning, especially when the decision to use and keep something that is clearly subpar will likely lead to huge repair/replacement costs and/or lots of ill-will from customers (I dealt with a Honda Pilot with the ZF 9-speed which was a total piece of **** and had been in Jeep applications, complaints and all, for a few years before Honda decided to use it, just to get tons of complaints about the 1-2 shift and surge with the 3-4 shift). I'm sure in the end it's just about $$$ but it ends up being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Last edited:
I think quality is dropping across the board. I am leery of anything run by Fiat, but people seem to be happy with the new Rams? I have had Ford F-150s for years and I think their quality is dropping a little too.
I'm very impressed with my 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk I picked up 4-5 months ago now. I've had some time to pick through it and initial build quality is better than the other new makes I have purchased including Ford and Honda.

Long term who knows, but this is by far my favorite vehicle I've ever had, smiles every time I drive it. Chrysler, Fiat, FCA or whatever you want them to go by really makes some sweet little engines as well. The 3.2 V6 sounds so nice and is really smooth.

I'm very impressed with my 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk I picked up 4-5 months ago now. I've had some time to pick through it and initial build quality is better than the other new makes I have purchased including Ford and Honda.

Long term who knows, but this is by far my favorite vehicle I've ever had, smiles every time I drive it. Chrysler, Fiat, FCA or whatever you want them to go by really makes some sweet little engines as well. The 3.2 V6 sounds so nice and is really smooth.
That is great. If everyone bought vehicles strictly based on reliability, life would be boring. I mean Toyota makes some pretty boring cars, but they are reliable. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to cars. I think growing up in the 80's has skewed my perception of domestic brands.

I think the powertrain in the Jeep Wranglers is solid.

Back