Consumer Reports 2021 Least Reliable Trucks - GM Dominates?

Talk about the blind leading the blind. The only profitable brands that Stellantis sells are Jeep and Ram. I predict that both of these brands will be sold to a Chinese company to obtain cash before the entire ship sinks.
Interesting thought. Jeep and RAM are cash cows. With whose left standing-"Jeep" is probably the most recognized "Brand" among all vehicle manufacturers.

Talk about the blind leading the blind. The only profitable brands that Stellantis sells are Jeep and Ram. I predict that both of these brands will be sold to a Chinese company to obtain cash before the entire ship sinks.
Chrysler group was left to die at the side of the road, it owes everything to Fiat

The fuel saved over a lock up 4 speed over the life of the vehicle will never pay for the decrease in reliability and final repair cost.

Rod
The AFM/lockup pays for itself WITH GM for their Corporate Fleet CAFE numbers. Example-the AFM motors save 1 mile per gallon. That's 1 mile per gallon over 40,000 units sold each and every month.

The AFM/lockup pays for itself WITH GM for their Corporate Fleet CAFE numbers. Example-the AFM motors save 1 mile per gallon. That's 1 mile per gallon over 40,000 units sold each and every month.
Ok so I amend my comment as follows, the fuel saved by the truck owner will never pay for their eventual repair. This transmission is expensive to repair, so expensive that the truck will likely be scrapped rather than repaired if it is out of warranty. This is false economy.

All I had to do is see the title containing the words "Consumer Reports" and the credibility went out the window.

If you watch the video-transmission problems are the most rampant. Yet-the "pickup truck host" goes to point out at least a half dozen transmission motor options (the motor plays an important part due to AFM interacting with the torque lockup) and those are not broken apart. However-he/we expect where those issues are-mainly with the 8 speed transmission. BUT in many cases (not all) GM changes the transmission fluid (under warranty) to a Mobil Full Synthetic and the issues go away. However-it's impossible to know out of the survey which owners (if any) got this service done.

So yes-it's really difficult to extrapolate any useful information.

Consumer Reports: GM is #1 in terms of poorest reliability.

GM Marketing Geniuses: Great now let's advertise, "GM trucks ranked #1 by Consumer Reports."

That 8-speed has been causing the Colorado & Canyon owners a lot of headaches.

This is what happens when you can’t buy a manual transmission

The fuel saved over a lock up 4 speed over the life of the vehicle will never pay for the decrease in reliability and final repair cost.

Rod
And a manual transmission is still more efficient than the 8+ speed automatic, especially in city driving.

If you watch the video-transmission problems are the most rampant. Yet-the "pickup truck host" goes to point out at least a half dozen transmission motor options (the motor plays an important part due to AFM interacting with the torque lockup) and those are not broken apart. However-he/we expect where those issues are-mainly with the 8 speed transmission. BUT in many cases (not all) GM changes the transmission fluid (under warranty) to a Mobil Full Synthetic and the issues go away. However-it's impossible to know out of the survey which owners (if any) got this service done.

So yes-it's really difficult to extrapolate any useful information.
I agree, however the transmission issue I don't think is fixed despite the fluid change. Can't confirm that.

You really like typing in bold font. :ROFLMAO:

Ok so I amend my comment as follows, the fuel saved by the truck owner will never pay for their eventual repair. This transmission is expensive to repair, so expensive that the truck will likely be scrapped rather than repaired if it is out of warranty. This is false economy.
Just looked up a remanufactured 4L60E and 8 speed transmission from GM… the 4L60E is $2,224, the 8 speed is $2,600…. Not that much more.

From what I understand GM and Ford developed the 10 speed together.
The 10 speed automatic was developed by Ford to be shared with GM as part of a deal that included GM developing a 9 speed trans-axle to be shared with Ford. The 8 speed GM 8L90 that people are complaining about is an GM design that wasn't part of the deal.

This is what happens when you can’t buy a manual transmission

And a manual transmission is still more efficient than the 8+ speed automatic, especially in city driving.

The delta went away for owning an automatic transmissions two or three decades ago as far as mpg penalty.

I had an 8L90 in my 2017 GMC Sierra. It slammed into second gear when cold and would give the rumble strip effect randomly at around 50-55 mph. I received the new fluid and multiple TCM resets and it didn't fix the issue. I tried for months to get GM to fix it and they finally gave up and told me there was nothing else they could do. I traded it for a F-150 with the 10 speed and it's been much better.

A recently retired GM engineer said to stay away from that 8spd unit. He said it was garbage and GM knew it and was trying to band aid it with the fluid change.

Back