Considering Penzzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Y.Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. 20 buck jugs are tough to beat.
I got 4 qsud before christmas at ct for 25 each,now I'm adding to my pp stash.
I'm an oil hoarder. They make tv shows about guys like me.

Just picked up 6 jugs of PP 5W20 this morning at WM. My son's 2010 Mazda 3 2.0L just got the first jug at 36,684 kms, and my 2013 Sonata 2.4L will get a jug tomorrow. Baptismal oil change for the Sonata - right at 6,000kms. The Mazda is new to him and the oil I drained was quite dirty. PP should serve it well. OEM filters all around.

Originally Posted By: mauric3

Pennzoil Platinum would be alright to run for 12k km?

Most shops here in BC recommends running synthetic oil for around 6k km max... so far i never heard any shop recommending running 10k kms on synthetic.. Even my local dealership said if i want to use synthetic on our minivan( it is still on warranty) to use synthetic for 5k km... that's what they normally recommend for most cars.. 5k km intervals.. but with synthetic.. they said its still the same....

Crazy advice...even for extreme conditions synthetic OCI @ 6k KILOMETERS (4k MILES) is a waste
...synthetics can go 6k MILES (10k KILOMETERS) even under extreme conditions.
...to say "it's still the same" is just ignorance or a sales pitch to get you into the shop more often...

Of course there are those who do change oil, even synthetics, @ 3-4k miles, as in the last century...but modern oils are much better...

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

Most shops here in BC recommends running synthetic oil for around 6k km max... so far i never heard any shop recommending running 10k kms on synthetic.. Even my local dealership said if i want to use synthetic on our minivan( it is still on warranty) to use synthetic for 5k km... that's what they normally recommend for most cars.. 5k km intervals.. but with synthetic.. they said its still the same....

Crazy advice...even for extreme conditions synthetic OCI @ 6k KILOMETERS (4k MILES) is a waste
...to say "it's still the same" is just ignorance or a sales pitch to get you into the shop more often...

Of course there are those who do change oil, even synthetics, @ 3-4k miles, as in the last century...but modern oils are much better...

I guess just saying that to let me follow the maintenance schedule which is roughly every 3mos or 5k km whichever comes first... Won't it be a peace of mind running synthetic oil even if its for just 5k km intervals? I know most people here would usually want to maximize the life of an oil .. but at least it would keep the engine cleaner?

Won't it be a peace of mind running synthetic oil even if its for just 5k km intervals? I know most people here would usually want to maximize the life of an oil .. but at least it would keep the engine cleaner?

Well, maybe peace of mind. As for keeping the engine cleaner, that's pretty doubtful given such short intervals. It's unlikely that a modern conventional would be anywhere near on its last legs over the 5,000 km interval. If a manufacturer in Germany required full synthetic oil for 5,000 km intervals these days, people there would throw a fit.

One certainly can, and it's not terribly expensive if one gets the specials like the $19.88 PP. However, there are plenty of people out there in this country buying synthetics at close to $50 a jug only to change it out every 5,000 km.

follow the maintenance schedule which is roughly every 3mos or 5k km whichever comes first... Won't it be a peace of mind running synthetic oil even if its for just 5k km intervals? I know most people here would usually want to maximize the life of an oil .. but at least it would keep the engine cleaner?

Where is it said that the mantenance schedule is roughly 5k kilometers...or roughly 3k miles...for synthetic oil?

If that is so for your car, my apologies...there's a lot I'm still learning about synthetics...

I've only used conventional oil in the past, changing it every 5k miles under "normal" conditions....and have been reading/researching a lot lately about synthetics...but maybe not yet enough...

If your car's engine has special needs, change it as often as you'd think necessary by all means.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

I guess just saying that to let me follow the maintenance schedule which is roughly every 3mos or 5k km whichever comes first... Won't it be a peace of mind running synthetic oil even if its for just 5k km intervals? I know most people here would usually want to maximize the life of an oil .. but at least it would keep the engine cleaner?

Unless you have to use a syn to maintain warrantee dont even bother with it.IF you are still stuck with the factory recommended service schedule and cant stretch out the interval then you are just wasting money by using a syn.There is no added peace of mind using a syn,and a conventional is just as good given your mandated service interval.Once you are out of warrantee switch to a syn,get a couple UOA done to determine a proper interval given your choice of oil,and run it as long as you are able to.
I'm still getting over the 5000 rule myself.I just turned 5000kms on pp and I found myself in my basement lining up my next batch to go in,but I gotta keep telling myself I'm only halfway there.
It's hard breaking old habits but I'm game if it saves me time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back