Considering a new vehicle, not sure what one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Okay, so you really didn't grasp what I intended to convey.
When you've spent as many years and miles in Subarus
as we have, you can then feel qualified to comment on them.
Until then, you're just another voice without any real gravitas.
I'll grant you that Audis have very nice interiors, but they don't have superior AWD.

Of course you spent a lot of time in Subaru. The way they move, you are sentenced to prolonged time in them.
Audi's do have better AWD. It is just too much of a car for a Subaru driver to handle.

Your are a really funny guy, although that may not be what you intend.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

The same Mazda like in that video
lol.gif

Dude, unlike your neighbor, you are driving penalty box like rest of us!

I wouldn't call the new CX-5 a penalty box... I mean people pay astronomical prices for mediocre Toyota's
21.gif

True. CX-5 is currently IMO best vehicle in that category.
That category being RAV4, CR-V, Tiguan, Tucson, etc.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
I'll grant you that Audis have very nice interiors, but they don't have superior AWD.

Of course you spent a lot of time in Subaru. The way they move, you are sentenced to prolonged time in them.
Audi's do have better AWD. It is just too much of a car for a Subaru driver to handle.

I am not trying to be funny. There is nothing funny with Subaru in left lane driving 20mph below speed limit, and especially seeing one in rearview mirror in slippery conditions. One knows probability of that Subaru driver having decent tires is 0.00001%.

Last edited:

I am not trying to be funny. There is nothing funny with Subaru in left lane driving 20mph below speed limit, and especially seeing one in rearview mirror in slippery conditions. One knows probability of that Subaru driver having decent tires is 0.00001%.

As I've already illustrated in this and other threads, your experience in owning and using AWD Subarus is on a par with my experience in piloting the LEM to a lunar landing.
You would do well to avoid weighing in on things about which you haven't a clue.

As I've already illustrated in this and other threads, your experience in owning and using AWD Subarus is on a par with my experience in piloting the LEM to a lunar landing.

You never played the game?

http://moonlander.seb.ly/

You would do well to avoid weighing in on things about which you haven't a clue.

Grant you that, not an owner of Subaru (nor I am planing). Not dead yet.

Up until recently, Subaru made some exciting CUV's.

Example:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15134486/subaru-forester-25xt-road-test-counterpoint-page-1/

0-60 in 5.3 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.8@97mph.

This is back in the early 2000's. Since you're so excited about MB for some reason, let's compare that to what they were offering.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/x5/2003/2003-mercedes-ml55-amg/

Heck, even my CX5 is performing on par or better than that! The scooby has really taken a turn for "utility" in the last decade and a half.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Example:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15134486/subaru-forester-25xt-road-test-counterpoint-page-1/

This is back in the early 2000's. Since you're so excited about MB for some reason, let's compare that to what they were offering.

Heck, even my CX5 is performing on par or better than that! The scooby has really taken a turn for "utility" in the last decade and a half.

0-60mph is for those who never seen the curve in their life and need confidence builder because they are missing it somewhere else.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Example:

0-60mph is for those who never seen the curve in their life and need confidence builder because they are missing it somewhere else.

Well, yeah, but it's still a very meaningful attribute.

Which does not say anything about fun factor.
But it is good to know that Mazda has comparable 0-60mph car, 16 years later.

I owned a 2015 similar to the one in the video, and now a 2019. The 2019 is about the same, if not better, just more refined about it. But please, tell us more about how the CX5 can't handle...

Originally Posted by glock19
He's a rally champion... he could probably make a Suburban look good.

Right you are! The point wasnt necessary how he made it look, but what he had to say about the vehicle. Edyvw is a visual learner though, so I included racetrack video vs. a diatribe with more data by Dave Coleman.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I owned a 2015 similar to the one in the video, and now a 2019. The 2019 is about the same, if not better, just more refined about it. But please, tell us more about how the CX5 can't handle...

When did I say Mazda cannot handle?
I drove extensively that version. It is OK, nothing special. It is better on the road than RAV4, CR-V. Tiguan? No.

Originally Posted by Ws6

When did I say Mazda cannot handle?
I drove extensively that version. It is OK, nothing special. It is better on the road than RAV4, CR-V. Tiguan? No.

Never drove a tiguan. How was it better?

1st gen I have, it is quicker on its feet, less body roll, better steering feedback, less understeer. The 1st gen Tiguan has front suspension from Passat and rear from GTI. Do not get me wrong, I actually really likeed that Mazda, minus clear absence of torque that 2.0T in VW has, but than again, I like 1st gen Tiguan better than current generation (the one for US market).

1st gen I have, it is quicker on its feet, less body roll, better steering feedback, less understeer. The 1st gen Tiguan has front suspension from Passat and rear from GTI. Do not get me wrong, I actually really likeed that Mazda, minus clear absence of torque that 2.0T in VW has, but than again, I like 1st gen Tiguan better than current generation (the one for US market).

Interesting. Never drove it as I dont trust VW or any German car, really, and so I didnt consider them. Interior on current gen does look nice.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Interesting. Never drove it as I dont trust VW or any German car, really, and so I didnt consider them. Interior on current gen does look nice.

The problem I have with current VW Tiguan is extra 600lbs and weaker engine, made for RAV4, CR-V Subaru Outback crowd.
MQB platform that current Tiguan uses is extremely potent, but VW purposely tuned down that engine for MPG purposes.
Now, if Tiguan had EA888 from GTI or more potent version from A4, yeah I would not think twice in that category.
Now, going back to that previous CX5, it did have better programmed transmission. Tiguan 1st gen uses Aisin 6 speed that is programmed really strange. It humps down 0-60 due to short first gear, allows engine to rev too high where there is no more usable power and kind of hangs there a bit. It is much more aggressive than same transmission in my Sienna, especially when it comes to manual downshifting. However, it seems like VW programmed that transmission as an afterthought.

Last edited:
More AWD systems compared. Looks like a pretty impartial test, and it's nice they used the same driver, etc.:

I was rather surprised that the VW Tiguan had such a floppy chassis. It's DSG also screwed it on the log test, while the Forester's CVT didn't hamper it visibly (it did very well). Same story for the Tuscon.

The winner of the log-test was the Forester, but I also question if this isn't because it had more give to the suspension and higher profile tires, as it appears to have "bounced over" the "log" that stopped the other CUV's. It can be debated all day long, but one thing is aparent from this test: VW's AWD Haldex is absolutely nothing sepcial, and the Scooby does have a very effective system.

The RAV4 was disappointing.

My only complaint about the test is that all the vehicles were not on the same tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back