Considering a new vehicle, not sure what one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by joegreen
Hyundai palisade or kia telluride might be cool to check out.

+1 Go check one out.

I'd probably vote this route as well.

Also lookup resale values, I think you'll find the Korean Beands hold their value as well as others, particularly the domestics.

The real depreciation is in sedans that are commonly lease vehicles. Hyundai/Kia SUVs depreciate at a slower rate than GM and Ford SUVs from what I've seen.

An example would be comparing a Tucson Limited to a Titanium Escape both 2016 models, the Escape is almost always cheaper used even though they sticker higher. We have been shopping 2-3 year old Compact suvs lately and I've noticed the CRV and Rav holding the best value, Tucson and CX5 similar in the middle and the equinox and escape having the worst depreciation.

Ok I'll stir the pot. Reliability and awd performance is only spelled one way... S U B A R U.

There's a reason everyone compares themselves to Subaru; they are the gold standard. Jeep has the AWD system, but overall quality lacks. Audi also has great AWD, but are expensive. Other Japanese/Korean mfgs have good quality but their AWD is second tier. I've owned the others. S U B A R U.

Once you've owned a Subaru, you will be convinced, it's hard to beat them for reliability and awd performance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sopususer
Ok I'll stir the pot. Reliability and awd performance is only spelled one way... S U B A R U.

There's a reason everyone compares themselves to Subaru; they are the gold standard. Jeep has the AWD system, but overall quality lacks. Audi also has great AWD, but are expensive. Other Japanese/Korean mfgs have good quality but their AWD is second tier. I've owned the others. S U B A R U.

Once you've owned a Subaru, you will be convinced, it's hard to beat them for reliability and awd performance.

Audi does not compare itself to Subaru. It is far better system, in addition that car itself is far better.

I agree with you so I'll join you at the front in the flame war to come.
Nothing is as easy to drive in bad conditions as a Subie and those who say that an FWD on dedicated winters is just as good or better have no clue.
Check my sig. We didn't just show up at the Subaru store rainbow sticker in hand yesterday.
The older Forester has been a solid vehicle that I'm still glad we bought back in August 2008 while the newer one is a better vehicle in terms of acceleration and fuel economy that drives pretty much like the '09.
One thing wife really likes is the long travel suspension and plush ride. Works well for her on her awful interstate commute, where some part of I-75 is always torn up and has been for the four decades plus we have lived in the area.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Do you have 3 4WD/AWD vehicles ?

Yes, but.

The Jeep is an off road toy. Truck is a hand me down. Neither really get driven in the snow. The Subaru is AWD but if I could have got front or rear drive I would have. It gets snow tires.

I'm not a huge fan of tranvserse engine/trans AWD systems. Just seems like a real afterthought and the PDUs are always problematic at higher mileage. The longitudinally mounted engine and trans was a huge reason I went for the Forester. I could have gone without AWD, but the way the cars are arranged they are so easy to work on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fdcg27

I agree with you so I'll join you at the front in the flame war to come.
Nothing is as easy to drive in bad conditions as a Subie and those who say that an FWD on dedicated winters is just as good or better have no clue.
Check my sig. We didn't just show up at the Subaru store rainbow sticker in hand yesterday.
The older Forester has been a solid vehicle that I'm still glad we bought back in August 2008 while the newer one is a better vehicle in terms of acceleration and fuel economy that drives pretty much like the '09.
One thing wife really likes is the long travel suspension and plush ride. Works well for her on her awful interstate commute, where some part of I-75 is always torn up and has been for the four decades plus we have lived in the area.

They have clue. They stop. Avoiding Subarus in crashes in Colorado during snow storms is actual sport.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Audi does not compare itself to Subaru. It is far better system, in addition that car itself is far better.

We all have our own opinions.
Difference being that some of us can back those opinions up with many years of ownership and miles of use under all sorts of conditions.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

We all have our own opinions.
Difference being that some of us can back those opinions up with many years of ownership and miles of use under all sorts of conditions.

Yes, because other cars do not go many years, miles and in all sorts of conditions
lol.gif

I believe Subaru is the #1 vehicle in owner loyalty.
While they are not for me, that certainly says something.
Owners love their Subies.

Last edited:
I know many loyal Subaru lovers. I know many loyal Subaru haters. I noticed in the last couple years that Subaru's have been drag racing air cooled VW bus's and 80000# semis up mountain passes in the far right lanes. They appear to be dangerously under powered heading up to Donner summit. They are extremely quick going down hill to re-pass all the cars with the cruise @75mph going up the grade. So if you average their speed both uphill and downhill they are super quick! Buy one!

$1000 for tires and brakes is normal operating cost. The year to year depreciation is is really low now as this thing sunk so hard in depreciation curve at 5years old.

You paid for an extended warranty till 75k why not hit that then decide?

What about Mercedes 4matic system? Had one for 5 years now. No major issues with it. Great in snow. Easily powers out of it. It's also 1k at the MB dealer for front brakes, but I've had an indy do it with new rotors/pads for about $300. FCPeuro sells euro parts with a lifetime warranty. Now I'm starting to figure out how they do it, I guess they figure if you have a Euro car, maybe you don't keep it that long where the warranty would kick in.

All of my cars are equipped with BSM; the sensors are mounted on each front door with another one mounted on the headliner just above the center line of the windshield.

For resale value if you plan to keep a while, is of course anything Toyota. My wife had a 2006 4 runner, she bought it for $11k, with 162k miles. We sold it with 220k miles for $10k, I thought was crazy. She now drives a CHR, and it has been fine thus far (21k miles).
SUV's are popular with all my friends and family, and the only other SUV brands that I've actually seen, keep a decent value is the Jeep Wranglers, and Jeep Grand Cherokees. Nothing else from Jeep keeps a good value.
The Fords and GM products don't fair well, Nissans drop value quick, Hyundai drops the worse. Hyundai makes an affordable vehicle that actually last a long time, but they age ungracefully, and price tank a few years into ownership.

Reliability typically goes hand and hand with resale value. I work for Toyota as do family and friends of mine. We make a good product and everything automotive from Toyota is engineered to last and run 200k miles. Beyond that, they can get expensive, and will start to wear out, they are not bulletproof as Scotty Kilmer would have you believe.

Jeep, and Chrysler products have treated my family the best from the (big 3), we had several last 200-300k miles growing up, and my mother's Cherokee is worry free the last 4 years. My dad currently has a GM product that has issue after issue (minor to major), and we never touch Fords.

My wife's aunts use to buy Subaru's, and they were always at the shop and were costly. Our neighbors also had a Subaru and the husband and son (mechanics like me) were pulling the engine and tranny out for tear down, immediately after the warranty expired, timing belt broke before recommended service. I've heard folks swear by Subaru as well.

Jeep and Toyota get my money and vote on this thread; however, Toyota's are a hard pill to swallow, given the price difference, and we get the Toyota employee discount, and they still cost more then other SUV's.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Wife's current daily driver is a 2014 Ford Edge with the 3.5L, 60k miles. She puts on about 15-18k per year currently, 80% hwy. It only has front wheel drive and she'd like AWD (not 4WD), being in WI. I think blind spot would be nice, too (have it on my truck).
Needs tires and brakes in the next year (tires before winter), that is $1000 if I do the brakes myself. Owe about $6k, worth about $11,500 to $12,000 on trade according to Edmunds (KBB is usually low, NADA is usually high). Have a Ford warranty until 75k, but they are really picky about fixing things lately. Not real happy with the direction of the company, and that includes a lot of problems with my 2018 F-150.

I ran the numbers and accounting for what we owe, depreciation of the current vehicle with more miles and being older, the maintenance items I know are coming, and that we can probably get a pretty good deal on a 2019 in a few months, we would break about even if we got the new one now or one year from now. We would actually be worse-off if we waited two years. It isn't until after that where we would start to come out ahead on the curve, and who knows what repairs we might needs (internal water pump failure, anyone?) and my wife would be driving a vehicle without AWD or blind spot.

First priority is reliability. Which is why we are looking Toyota and not something like an Explorer or Traverse. The high resale is nice, too, if we do get rid of it before 8 to 10 years. Looking at LE Plus or XLE trim.

So, with the redesign of the 2020 Highlander set to hit lots in December, we are looking at getting a 2019 maybe during the holiday season when they should be on clearance. What should I know about the 2019 Highlanders? Common problems? Quirks (for example, and internal water pump like the Edge has, grrr)? Hard to do oil changes on?

Also possibly considering a 2020 Subaru Ascent, but those have the I4 boxer engine, CVT, and is a brand new vehicle so no deals to be had. Mazda CX-9 is also a consideration.

Thoughts?

I've read the Ascent is having issues. The Highlander is always a safe bet, but it's soulless. The CX9 has proven to be a very reliable vehicle and is fun. All have good tech/features.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

What about Mercedes 4matic system? Had one for 5 years now. No major issues with it. Great in snow. Easily powers out of it. It's also 1k at the MB dealer for front brakes, but I've had an indy do it with new rotors/pads for about $300. FCPeuro sells euro parts with a lifetime warranty. Now I'm starting to figure out how they do it, I guess they figure if you have a Euro car, maybe you don't keep it that long where the warranty would kick in.

If a Ford Edge at under 100K miles worries you, I'd avoid anything out of Germany.

We just got a VW Golf Sportswagon. DSG and AWD plus 6yr warranty under $22k.

The model and 6yr warranty are both going away next year. About $4500 discount....also called Alltrack with 1 inch of lift.

It appears you're an educated consumer with a pragmatic approach. I'm not one for recommending vehicles - too subjective - but if you've narrowed it down to the Highlander I would look at a 2016 certified pre-owned with the proven 6 speed auto. This could save you $10,000 or so from new with mileage still reasonably low.

As far as rolling your loan - even though you're right side up - you're always better off selling privately. That's what I do and it's fairly painless here. Certify your vehicle, get a used car package report from the ministry (this includes a vehicle history report, any liens, and a seller buyer section), then list it on Kijiji. Trade-ins are usually at a minimum $1,000 below wholesale (black book here) an often a lot more. Private sales usually get a little more than wholesale but less than retail (dealer price).

Regarding blind side monitor. A wonderful technology but a low tech convex spot mirror on the upper far corner of your side view mirrors works well too.

Good luck

If you like Toyota Highlander, i 2nd the notion of buying a 2016 model year. Many have come off leases and prices are softened up a bit while still having a solid 6 speed auto and 3.5 V6. If you want a black 2016 limited with captains chairs a relative just sold one to Vroom. Its garage kept, one owner, like 32k miles, very nicely equipped and cared for. They just had to have a Mini Van instead. I'm guessing Vroom will sell it for like 32k or something, and bring it to your door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back