Considering a new vehicle, not sure what one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay...tell me...what does Haldex Gen 5 (current) do? Do you know how it operates and what its parameters of operation are? Now explain to me with math how it could POSSIBLY be better than a system that operates many times faster, with less drag, and has 100% identical torque distribution capability.

IDK, I like to know how that works in practice:

I told you some time ago, CX-5 is in league of RAV4 and CR-v. But, also truth is that hope never dies. So, you can hope some might think CX-5 is actually in more serious league.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Okay...tell me...what does Haldex Gen 5 (current) do? Do you know how it operates and what its parameters of operation are? Now explain to me with math how it could POSSIBLY be better than a system that operates many times faster, with less drag, and has 100% identical torque distribution capability.

I told you some time ago, CX-5 is in league of RAV4 and CR-v. But, also truth is that hope never dies. So, you can hope some might think CX-5 is actually in more serious league.

*sigh*

You can't explain haldex because you don't understand it. It's like a cave-man version of what Mazda uses, and not nearly as precise or fast.

The video above that you have linked...I LOVE it. It is a perfect example of why 1-off anecdotal evidence is trash. Go ahead and skip to the part you get all excited over. The part begins at the 7:14 marker. Watch how they all approach the hill. Your lovely VW takes such a violent run at it that it looks like it almost took out the front fascia on that little dip and then instantly begins wailing on the throttle again! The Mazda driver, on the other hand, approaches it at a slow crawl, and then begins up it at low/part throttle. It didn't work well for the Mazda driver, so he emulated the others at the 10:00 mark and it did GREAT. We see the same timid behavior from the tester in the Mazda at 12:45.

Driver was the factor here, not your precious diff.

Originally Posted by Ws6

*sigh*

You can't explain haldex because you don't understand it. It's like a cave-man version of what Mazda uses, and not nearly as precise or fast.

The video above that you have linked...I LOVE it. It is a perfect example of why 1-off anecdotal evidence is trash. Go ahead and skip to the part you get all excited over. The part begins at the 7:14 marker. Watch how they all approach the hill. Your lovely VW takes such a violent run at it that it looks like it almost took out the front fascia on that little dip and then instantly begins wailing on the throttle again! The Mazda driver, on the other hand, approaches it at a slow crawl, and then begins up it at low/part throttle. It didn't work well for the Mazda driver, so he emulated the others at the 10:00 mark and it did GREAT.

IDk man, video speaks to itself. Thank God GLC was not there, it would put to shame all of them, and if AMG, oh my....

Originally Posted by Ws6

*sigh*

The video above that you have linked...I LOVE it. It is a perfect example of why 1-off anecdotal evidence is trash. Go ahead and skip to the part you get all excited over. The part begins at the 7:14 marker. Watch how they all approach the hill. Your lovely VW takes such a violent run at it that it looks like it almost took out the front fascia on that little dip and then instantly begins wailing on the throttle again! The Mazda driver, on the other hand, approaches it at a slow crawl, and then begins up it at low/part throttle. It didn't work well for the Mazda driver, so he emulated the others at the 10:00 mark and it did GREAT.

IDk man, video speaks to itself. Thank God GLC was not there, it would put to shame all of them, and if AMG, oh my....

What if I made a video of me crushing my neighbor's GLC AMG from a stoplight? Would that prove that my CX5 was faster than his AMG from a stoplight? Maybe to you it would? I mean, the video would speak for itself, yeah?

Anyone who cared to watch the video you posted can easily see the mazda driver starts most things from a very low speed, or low throttle, or both, where the others wail on it.

What if I made a video of me crushing my neighbor's GLC AMG from a stoplight? Would that prove that my CX5 was faster than his AMG from a stoplight? Maybe to you it would? I mean, the video would speak for itself, yeah?

Anyone who cared to watch the video you posted can easily see the mazda driver starts most things from a very low speed, or low throttle, or both, where the others wail on it.

No, it would prove your puberty level insecurities about the fact that your neighbor has AMG and you do not.
Just make sure it is dry, bcs. you know, Mazda AWD.

No, it would prove your puberty level insecurities about the fact that your neighbor has AMG and you do not.

Lol, the Mazda AWD works great. You just don't know how the various systems work, so you're finding random videos online and throwing shade. If I had wanted a GLC AMG, I would have bought one. I didn't, and I didn't. Pretty simple, no? So why do you keep harping on it?

As a side note, my Jeep would squeak a tire when I took off in the rain. Both of my CX5's don't do either, even though my current one has more torque than the jeep did right off idle. The Jeep had QD2, which in its own right is pretty darn awesome! Mazda really got this system right, basically taking a Haldex and modernizing it and making it more responsive. Go educate yourself on Haldex Gen V and the Mazda system. You might be shocked to see how much more advanced the Mazda unit is. But we both know you won't. You'd rather just throw shade. Realistically though, you drive 2 total penalty boxes and just seem bitter at the world for it. I think you're the one with green eyes for my neighbors GLC43 AMG. Go buy one and be happy!

Originally Posted by Ws6

Lol, the Mazda AWD works great. You just don't know how the various systems work, so you're finding random videos online and throwing shade. If I had wanted a GLC AMG, I would have bought one. I didn't, and I didn't. Pretty simple, no? So why do you keep harping on it?

As a side note, my Jeep would squeak a tire when I took off in the rain. Both of my CX5's don't do either, even though my current one has more torque than the jeep did right off idle. The Jeep had QD2, which in its own right is pretty darn awesome! Mazda really got this system right, basically taking a Haldex and modernizing it and making it more responsive. Go educate yourself on Haldex Gen V and the Mazda system. You might be shocked to see how much more advanced the Mazda unit is. But we both know you won't. You'd rather just throw shade. Realistically though, you drive 2 total penalty boxes and just seem bitter at the world for it. I think you're the one with green eyes for my neighbors GLC43 AMG. Go buy one and be happy!

Well, it is more than obvious they envy VW.

Last edited:
Some good comments before it turned into a peeing match about Subaru. The wife drove the Highlander and loved it, didn't even want to drive anything else. Seeing if area dealers will match Chicago area ones, which are offering 15-15.5% off BEFORE any rebates. Most around here are 13-16% off after rebates. Found one an hour and a half away that will do 14%, and in state which makes paperwork much easier.

Ok enough, I like and sold Mazda for years but you drive a CX5 Turbo, it's not a sports or GT car, It is a very nice vehicle with good acceleration and handling dynamics but the AMG is the more competent performance vehicle if money isn't an object. The AMG is a GT cruiser UTE but also weekend track duel duty machine that has tons of top end linear power, and will throttle steer on command and pull like a beast past 120mph. It can hang with Evo X's, C5 Vette's, Nismo 370z's, IS-F's and Focus RS's on a track and in a straight line. In order to make a CX5 turbo have any hope of doing so you would need to re-tune it to up the boost, add another inter-cooler, and remap the throttle and trans shift points along with putting swift springs and koni's and some Michi PS4's on forged rims. That is of course while praying the trans, VVT system, rods and bottom end don't let go.

Last edited:

Yes, because other cars do not go many years, miles and in all sorts of conditions
lol.gif

While I understand that we aren't exchanging thoughts in your mother tongue, your reply makes no sense at all in the context of this discussion.

I knew exactly what you said. Point is, that horrid piece of plastic called Subaru is not a match to Audi, AWD wise, especially everything else wise. I am not going to even mention that thing called CVT.
And other people drove their cars numerous years, and put miles and miles in all sorts of conditions. [/quote]

Okay, so you really didn't grasp what I intended to convey.
When you've spent as many years and miles in Subarus
as we have, you can then feel qualified to comment on them.
Until then, you're just another voice without any real gravitas.
I'll grant you that Audis have very nice interiors, but they don't have superior AWD.

Originally Posted by GZRider
Ok enough, I like and sold Mazda for years but you drive a CX5 Turbo, it's not a sports or GT car, It is a very nice vehicle with good acceleration and handling dynamics but the AMG is the more competent performance vehicle if money isn't an object. The AMG is a GT cruiser UTE but also weekend track duel duty machine that has tons of top end linear power, and will throttle steer on command and pull like a beast past 120mph. It can hang with Evo X's, C5 Vette's, Nismo 370z's, IS-F's and Focus RS's on a track and in a straight line. In order to make a CX5 turbo have any hope of doing so you would need to re-tune it to up the boost, add another inter-cooler, and remap the throttle and trans shift points along with putting swift springs and koni's and some Michi PS4's on forged rims. That is of course while praying the trans, VVT system, rods and bottom end don't let go.

LOL! Noone here is saying the GLC AMG isn't a better performance vehicle. Nor would I attempt to make my CX5 as fast as one. I think that's stupid, personally. When I buy a car, I buy a car, not a project. If speed were the goal, I would have gotten something "fast" (I agree with you, it's not a "sports" CUV, the CX5. It will handle up on stock Civic SI, SVT Raptor 6.2, etc. but that's about the limit.)

This is a feud that started long ago when I said after being in both my CX5, and my neighbor's GLC AMG, I found the CX5 a higher quality build. It rattles/creaks less (none, even after 20k miles), it's quieter (not counting engine noise, because that's not fair) inside, etc. This really set Edyvw off for some odd reason and he began assuming I couldn't have bought a GLC AMG if I had wanted one and was just "hating" on my neighbor and blah blah blah. So you came in on the middle of this. I would NEVER buy a new AMG product due to the depreciation hit, and 1-2 year old GLC's are only mid 40's. I think Edy is mistaken and views them as more expensive/unobtainable/higher status than they really are?

That said, OVT has been tuning the CX9 and CX5 turbo and I've seen graphs of them with BEAUTIFUL hp/tq curves to 6500rpm (which I would never do, and frankly, I think is foolhardy. Just buy a more powerful vehicle if you want one. Don't go blowing something up).

Originally Posted by fdcg27

I'll grant you that Audis have very nice interiors, but they don't have superior AWD.

A friend of mine has now owned 3 Subaru's. The interiors on the older ones sucked. (2018 WRX and 2013 BRZ). HIs new 2019 STi, however, is "pretty nice", but very loud, even for a sporty car, IMO.

That said, the 2020 Subaru's with their new interior are NICE. Legit nice. I think Edy is kindof dated on his opinion about their interiors. Also, you don't see people pulling Subaru heads off every 40k miles to walnut blast the valves, etc. The CVT, however, does NOT make me warm and fuzzy. Their AWD is just as good as anyone else in the segment, and better than most. I put it as "different but equal" to Mazda, which I also put at the top of the category, although the Ford AWD SUV/CUV systems seem to also be extremely competent based on what little I've seen of them.

Last edited:

Of course you spent a lot of time in Subaru. The way they move, you are sentenced to prolonged time in them.
Audi's do have better AWD. It is just too much of a car for a Subaru driver to handle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by fdcg27

A friend of mine has now owned 3 Subaru's. The interiors on the older ones sucked. (2018 WRX and 2013 BRZ). HIs new 2019 STi, however, is "pretty nice", but very loud, even for a sporty car, IMO.

That said, the 2020 Subaru's with their new interior are NICE. Legit nice. I think Edy is kindof dated on his opinion about their interiors. Also, you don't see people pulling Subaru heads off every 40k miles to walnut blast the valves, etc. The CVT, however, does NOT make me warm and fuzzy. Their AWD is just as good as anyone else in the segment, and better than most. I put it as "different but equal" to Mazda, which I also put at the top of the category, although the Ford AWD SUV/CUV systems seem to also be extremely competent based on what little I've seen of them.

The same Mazda like in that video
lol.gif

Dude, unlike your neighbor, you are driving penalty box like rest of us!

The same Mazda like in that video
lol.gif

Dude, unlike your neighbor, you are driving penalty box like rest of us!

I wouldn't call the new CX-5 a penalty box... I mean people pay astronomical prices for mediocre Toyota's
21.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
CX-5 , great vehicle for the money.

Love the CX3 and CX5. Both are very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back