Consequences of running 10W-30 in 0W-20 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you manage to obtain the maintenance records? Which rental agency did the car belong to?

It came from Wallace Imports of Bristol (Tennessee). This Wallace guy also runs the AVIS consession at Bristol's airport. I don't have all the maintenance records. I got the salesman to tell me what their PM practices were on the rental cars. They get Havoline 10W-30 and change it every 5,000 miles.

I'd be more worried about how the car was driven than what oil they used. Typically people beat the [censored] out of rental cars, doing things they'd never do to their own cars. Make sure they give you a full warranty on the car. JMO

As far as the oil, use what the mfg suggests now that it is your car. They probably ran 10w30 bulk oil because of price, and no other reason.

Whit, variable valve timing does use the oil as hydraulic fluid. This is yet another demand placed on the motor oil.

Yes, I agree about rental cars being abused. My objections to rental cars didn't stop other family members from buying through Enterprise, but I tried to change their minds. Too many people floor the accelerator on a completely cold engine/transmission.

I'm not trying to make the OP feel bad. The car wouldn't get as much abuse in the warmer climate of NC, and hopefully the Camry engine runs smoothly and quietly, without signs of abnormal wear.

My work used 10-30 in our municipal fleet of F350s until this year. They'd make a ton of valve noise on cold startup.

This year they bought 400 gallons of 5-20 for the bulk tank and bumped the OCI from 1500 to 3000 miles.

All the trucks seem to burn 1-3 qts by 2000 miles. But we're idling extensively, running the trucks 4-6 hrs/day, and hardly exceeding 25 mph.

Originally Posted By: Bruce T
Whit, variable valve timing does use the oil as hydraulic fluid. This is yet another demand placed on the motor oil.

Yes, I agree about rental cars being abused. My objections to rental cars didn't stop other family members from buying through Enterprise, but I tried to change their minds. Too many people floor the accelerator on a completely cold engine/transmission.

I'm not trying to make the OP feel bad. The car wouldn't get as much abuse in the warmer climate of NC, and hopefully the Camry engine runs smoothly and quietly, without signs of abnormal wear.

My intent wasn't to make the OP feel bad either. I was stating facts based on how I use them, which is considered by some easy, and my wife very says very abusive. I have buddies that will beat the snot out of them because it isn't their car, that is just the way it is.

my in law has used whatever cheap 10-30 he can find on his camry even though he has changed oil maybe ten times in 297k...he has run car with 2 quarts of oil in engine way more than once and his car still runs so you really have nothing to worry about

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
My work used 10-30 in our municipal fleet of F350s until this year. They'd make a ton of valve noise on cold startup.

This year they bought 400 gallons of 5-20 for the bulk tank and bumped the OCI from 1500 to 3000 miles.

All the trucks seem to burn 1-3 qts by 2000 miles. But we're idling extensively, running the trucks 4-6 hrs/day, and hardly exceeding 25 mph.

They probably are using cheap filters and has likely nothing to do with the oil viscosity used (the noise that is).

Originally Posted By: whitgallman
It came from Wallace Imports of Bristol (Tennessee). This Wallace guy also runs the AVIS consession at Bristol's airport. I don't have all the maintenance records. I got the salesman to tell me what their PM practices were on the rental cars. They get Havoline 10W-30 and change it every 5,000 miles.

That's what they say they do. Doesn't mean they do it. If a car is out for a long-term rental 4500 miles into a service, well, it may not get serviced until it is returned.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Originally Posted By: chad8
You can do things to a rental car that you wouldn't even think of doing to your own car. I have.

Mercury GM Nitrous Rental Car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kwd41bx4uo

Yikes! Remind me never to buy a used car... you never know what it's been through.

Originally Posted By: chet2
my in law has used whatever cheap 10-30 he can find on his camry even though he has changed oil maybe ten times in 297k...he has run car with 2 quarts of oil in engine way more than once and his car still runs so you really have nothing to worry about

The major thing that determines how well modern engines hold up (other than the driver) is the design/build of the engine.

Sure you want to use good oil and filters and change them when needed, but think about this...
The engine makers determine how much pressure the engine oil sees by the bearing and lifter surface area.
They control the flow rate...and even the operating viscosity of the oil by it's contact with the engine block, sump size, and thermostat setting...Not to mention metalurgy and surface finish

Amazing that cars go as long as they typically do nowadays with whatever the closest lube joint puts into it--and whenever it's convenient for the owner.

Originally Posted By: chet2
Chet, sorry neighbor (and I dont mean to single you out - no bad blood;) but that's a meaningless anecdote. 1 sample is absoluely NOT statistically valid for this population size even SS20 of same anecdotes would not be valid. Why is this, "My neighbor never changed his oil, only topped off - he maybe changed the filter every 2 years or so - and he's got 400k miles and it runs great doesnt burn any oil - so no worries with your Remington Z 282 V6 in your car!" silliness seemingly perpetual?

I'm a big fan of Mobil 1 after doing 2 quality audits of their plant in Beaumont TX. The Walmart near me had every viscosity of Mobil 1 in 5 quart jugs for $21! ...
I think you really want to run the exceptionl Toyota Brand 0w-20 special formulation in this car (OEM by EoM Now?) It's really special with almost 1000PPM moly. I doubt the off the shelf 0w-20 M1 has that especial formulation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
Originally Posted By: chad8
You can do things to a rental car that you wouldn't even think of doing to your own car. I have.

Mercury GM Nitrous Rental Car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kwd41bx4uo

I know EXACTLY where that is.

If you watch towards the end of the vid. The place after the yellow trucks(Penske Truck Rental) is a PA DMV. I am suprised they of all people wouldn't complain about it. Seeing as some of the instructors are real hardliners about not doing that on the road because street racing in our area.

Last edited:
My friend,
I think you have it right.
It is probably more design and build quality that determine how long an engine lasts than the oil we use in it.
Some engines last forever with no special treatment, while others are known to live shorter lives, without regard to the oil or drain intervals used.
I think most of us know which engines will last, and which ones won't.
I won't name any names.

I'll check the headliner for toenail marks

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
My friend,
I think you have it right.
It is probably more design and build quality that determine how long an engine lasts than the oil we use in it.
Some engines last forever with no special treatment, while others are known to live shorter lives, without regard to the oil or drain intervals used.
I won't name any names.

Yes...had seven Hondas and presently a CRV and Accord V-6 SE/LX.

Engine design and build and service all add up to maximum life.

200,000 miles in a Honda is easy.

I bet they could make an engine run a long time with grocery store vegatable oil if they threw enough money at the problem (...and a few additives to deal with combustion byproducts.)
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I won't name any names.

Yes...had seven Hondas and presently a CRV and Accord V-6 SE/LX. Engine design and build and service all add up to maximum life. 200,000 miles in a Honda is easy.
The TBI (?)engine in our base 91 civic (made in Canada?) was the worst engine Ive ever maintained. The rockers were worn on the rocker shaft at 30K and I couldnt set a repeatable valve clearance. The TEC Coil-in-Cap distributor often crossfired in cold weather due to the combustion vapours condensing around the cap 2nd-ary terminals which was designed with NO flashover ridges. This killed the cat converter in short order. A terrible engine. Nice chassis though with SLA in front instead of GARBAGE Mac struts. Accord engines are much better. Traded the civic for a base 1.8L subaru Loyale 4dr 2wd which was no great car either. Japanese dumping !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back