consensus on when to dump factory fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

What is the general consensus on when to dump the factory fill? I just did my 2010 Mazda3 2.0 at 1300 miles. Also, what is Mazda's factory fill oil, and is there any interest in my posting pics here of the opened oil filter element?

There is none. Do what helps you sleep better at night. 1300 miles isn't bad, probably 'average' for here!

We love pics of any kind here....cut-open filters, oil blotters, oil condition pics.....

:p

Some do, 500, 1000, etc. I personally just run what the factory recommends. I don't think dumping early will prolong the engine life or anything like that.

Originally Posted By: JDD
What is the general consensus on when to dump the factory fill?

There isn't one. Every time this question is asked, it opens up a long and heated debate.

Yeah, I guess 'consensus' is a poor choice of words here.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What is the general consensus on when to dump the factory fill?

There isn't one. Every time this question is asked, it opens up a long and heated debate.

I thought that was the consensus.

But really it's just
18.gif

Last edited:
When I bought my tC new I dumped it at 2500 miles and had them put in dino for another 2500 miles. Then at 5k it was synthetic till I gave up the car at 12.2k a year and half later for the Xterra.

I think part of the issue is that the factory fill can be sitting on the lot for easily a year. And it may have been in the crankcase even longer than that depending on when the car was built and when it was sold. The conventional wisdom is to change the fill every six months normally, and up to a year on a high quality synthetic.

There isn't a consensus... But I will tell you what I do and it hasn't seemed to fail me yet.

I drive the FF fill for 500K KM (300K miles) Dump it and fill with the cheapest dino I can find that meets my engines specifications and refill with dino and a quality filter.

I drive this fill for 1000K KM (600K miles) Dump again with the cheapest dino I can find that meets my engines specifications and refill with dino and a quality filter.

Then I fill up the engine with the same kind of dino/filter and drive it to 5K miles and dump.

Then I change to whatever oil, filter I choose to use and run it for a reasonable OCI depending on the oil/driving patterns and climate it will experience.

Now if it's a Honda, you might have to leave the FF in there for at least a couple thousand miles because of the suspected break-in additives they might be using...

Last edited:
New tight engines require around 3K then you can put in whatever you want.

What is the general consensus on when to dump the factory fill? I just did my 2010 Mazda3 2.0 at 1300 miles. Also, what is Mazda's factory fill oil, and is there any interest in my posting pics here of the opened oil filter element?

I do something similar to StevieC. I dump the FF at around 500 miles, swap the filter refill with a dino oil in the grade the mfg suggests. I drive that until 2000 miles are on the clock. Then drop it, fill with my favorite synthetic oil, and a new filter and follow the OCI's stated in the OM. Dino oil can be substituted for synthetic oil if it is dino oil you prefer.

Better check out the posters before taking a consensus on dumping the fcatory fill. I would bet more than some responders haven't bought a "new" car in a decade or more.

Half tongue in cheek

No. there's no general consensus on that
18.gif

I'm firmly in the "get the first fill out within AT MOST a few hours of operation" camp. Others seem to think that having assembly lube floating around in there for a full OCI is actually good for something. All I know is that I've never had an engine last *less* than a quarter-million miles (so far) doing it that way and I've had a few last quite a lot longer than that. On the other hand, rental fleets probably live their whole lives with the factory fill, and they're not exploding by the hundreds either.

I for one would love to see your opened filter element.

Last edited:
I admit to being OCD---the main reason for me dumping the FF is I just gotta see what's in the filter of a modern car after 1000+- miles. I've never cut open a filter of a new car and I just want to know just to know. I've heard so many stories over the years about metal and junk in the filter on new engine. I will post filter pics for sure.

For Honda, severe service interval at minimum, but probably OK to leave in for up to 10,000miles. For everything else I do half the recommended service interval. In reality, probably not necessary with today's engines unless specifically recommended.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I drive the FF fill for 500K KM (300K miles)

You mean 500 KM not 500K KM--do you not? 500K KM is 300,000 Miles

Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
Originally Posted By: StevieC

I drive the FF fill for 500K KM (300K miles)

You mean 500 KM not 500K KM--do you not? 500K KM is 300,000 Miles

My bad... Yes 500 KM not KKM's. Oopsie! I got the flu, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back