Should I Dump My Factory Fill at 1,000 miles ? - 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've put 1000 miles on my 06 Ford Fusion - 3L Duratec engine - 5w-20 recommended oil. Just wondering if I should dump the factory fill at 1,000 miles , would the fact that it runs 5w-20 make any difference, I'm thinking a 5w-20 may have less room to hold particles in suspension, given it's thinner viscosity and perhaps more chance for metal to metal wear ?, not totally sure though. I am pretty comfortable running a 5-20 oil in daily use (especially considering the good fuel economy this car gets) , just not so sure about break-in intervals.

Although on the flip side many factory fill oils have lots of moly added to them to protect them during break-in (like all of my Hondas did, not sure if Ford does the same thing or not).

Considering going to a good conventional oil with a good dose of moly if I do dump the factory fill.

Any opinion on whether to keep the factory fill till 3,000 miles or dump her in favour of an OTC oil ?. Thanks for any opinions .

I prefer changing the break in oil around 1000-1500 miles and run 3000 and then one to whatever oci you want to run. Will running the factory fill for whatever the Ford recommend OCI is shorten the engines life any, probably not. But the feel good factor of changing it early is certainly worth something.

My last SOHC 4.0 in my Ranger had high wear metals for about 8 thousand miles, and the factory fill was full of metal at 1500 miles. It was worth changing it early to me, OTOH, I've never claimed to know what I'm doing.

I drained the factory fill on my 2006 Tacoma at 1k miles and later felt bad about it for wastefullness. I am leaving the oil in my wifes 2006 4 runner till 5k it has 4k miles on it now. In reality on a normally driven vehicle I have come to a personal conclusion that it is not neccesary for long engine life.
Alot of the earlier drains may make for prettier UOA's at a lower mileage but it is sort of foolish to waste the oil+filter+ price of a UOA just to look at a flushed new engine in the uoa results. I think early oil changes in production engines is now bordering on superstition.

Whichever way makes you feel good, as likely that is the only good it will do. I change early and it makes me feel good. Somehow we seem to forget that our cars come with oil filters when it comes time to baby a new vehicle.

On our 06 Ranger with the 2.3L Duratec I changed the factory fill at 500m. Didn't look to bad compared to the 5spd and diff.

I changed the factory fill on my 03 ranger at 5k. I'll get back to you in a few years and let you know if it affected engine life at all. Currently at 50k, plus the motor has only seen 5w20 its whole life.

So i would say your looking at a cost issue, change if it makes you feel good and the cost means nothing. Leave in if your concerened about the cost and the thought of not changing it won't bother you or haunt your dreams.

On the moly, as far as I know, the moly is used as an assembly lube when the motor is built and isn't directly added to the oil as part of the add pac.

I changed out at 1000 miles on my Corolla and will change again at 3000 miles then go to synthetic at 6000 miles and follow 6000 mile oci as per Toyota. Done the same with my Kluger/Highlander which now has 24000 miles, engine clean and running well. Hope to keep both cars for as long as they will serve me, although sadly I expect them to outlast me.
Roger

I change out the oil on all my new cars at 1,000-1,500 miles. Check out the UOAs on new cars and you'll see alot of breakin metals in the oil, which is normal, I personally just don't think it's good. Since I have a lot of oil on hand, cost is not an issuse. I'll run Dino for my next change, which usually is 2-3k, then it's normal OCIs from that point on, usually with Synthetic or a blend.
I guess another view of it is like this. I've never heard of premature engine failure from engine oil being changed out too early. Kept in too long, well...!?!

I just changed the filter on my Subaru at 150 miles. It's mounted vertically, so, I just filled it up with oil before screwing it back in. Oh, and I put a very strong magnet on the drain plug bolt. Now, I'll go to about 3000 miles and change it over to Pennzoil Platinum. Not science, just what I do.

Has anyone ever heard of premature engine failure as a result of leaving the factory installed oil in until the first recommended oil change interval?

What does your manual/factory recomend? Many manufactures use additives and or special assembly coatings (MOLY//Zink) that fortafy(sp) the oil for protection during breakin. Changing too early is therefor not good. My manufacture recomends 3,000 miles and NOT BEFORE 1,000 miles. I probably would go not before 1/2 the recomended first change mileage.

I did. '06 Mz3iT at 1000k with MC5W20. Factory fill. Next change at 4k with the same oil and start LC20. No UOA's. I'm rethinking the switch to PP as MC5W20 has good UOA's, short (4k-5k) planned OCI's, LC20, and easy driving.

If you manual says 3000, do it at 1500. If it says 5000, do it at 2500. Been doing that and it was fine. I doubt there would be any problems even if I leave it until what is suggested by the factory though.

As for oil if you are concerned about moly for breaking in, use Havoline.

quote:

Originally posted by rshaw125:
We just bought a new Explorer and the service department said bring it back at 5,000 miles for the first change.They could have said less to make a few $. Oil changes every 5,000 miles with Motorcraft semi-syn or equivalent.Its going to get Mobil 1 EP for 15,000 miles changes.

Just make sure you document oil changes every 5000 miles while your warranty is in effect.

This is opinions, not science, so here's mine. I like to do the first drain for a new engine at 2K. Then another in 3K (5K total miles). Then get into a normal OCI. It has worked for me for years and is much less wasteful than a 500 to 1,000 mile drain.

It can not hurt anything to do so!!! Some say leave it in but I am old school. No engine has ever been damaged dureing break-in by changeing the oil too frequently!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back