Consensus on taking advantage of complementary OC's?

Updated my stable with two new vehicles. A 2020 Jetta R-Line 1.4L turbo and a Mazda 3 with a 2.5 Skyactiv G. Both come with two complementary OC's.

Like most here, I'm very particular about maintenance. I'm pretty sure OEM oil filters will be used. But I've read too many horror stories about dealerships using the wrong oil, especially in VW's.

I must have VW 508 0w20 used in the VW and also must have it used in my Mazda. For the long OCI's and direct injection in both cars, it's just a better oil.

On the fence on having the dealer do them. Do you instruct them on what oil to use or are we at their mercy once they get the car in the service bay?

I'd just use the dealer - you can always ask which oil they are using. Some stories of VW dealers using bulk VW502 00 5W40 in everything but now I believe so many of their cars are using the 508 0W20 you should be fine.

I took advantage of the one in my Tiguan, first in a while. There was a bubble in the tint the dealer installed on the windows, so I dropped it off so they could replace it at the same time.

Completely uneventful. I checked the work when I got home and saw no issues just fresh blue-green oil.

Moving forward I'll do it myself because I can change it quicker in the driveway than driving to the dealer and waiting.

Updated my stable with two new vehicles. A 2020 Jetta R-Line 1.4L turbo and a Mazda 3 with a 2.5 Skyactiv G. Both come with two complementary OC's.

Like most here, I'm very particular about maintenance. I'm pretty sure OEM oil filters will be used. But I've read too many horror stories about dealerships using the wrong oil, especially in VW's.

I must have VW 508 0w20 used in the VW and also must have it used in my Mazda. For the long OCI's and direct injection in both cars, it's just a better oil.

On the fence on having the dealer do them. Do you instruct them on what oil to use or are we at their mercy once they get the car in the service bay?
I think the dealership is trying to get you used to having service work done at the dealership. There's little opportunity to upsell you with additional service on a new vehicle so I take what's offered.

One dealership trick on the Honda was to put in (or offer) a new cabin air filter for about $80. You can buy a Honda cabin filter for $20 - 25 and replace it yourself in less that 5 minutes. A bit of extra profit there I'd have to think.

3 out of the 5 times I tried they screwd up. no more chances for them.
both my jeep trailhawks came with 6 free syn oil changes or 12 semi syn.

1.wrong filter and way overtorqued canister top(of filter), 2. wrong oil and filter, 3. totally wrong oil & stripped airbox screw.. and it was a torx/allen (I forget) but hard to strip.

the 2 times they didnt screw up they got oil ALL OVER the engine bay.

1. I paid for mopar they used jobber filter, they commented on how overtightened the lid was and mentioned I might have issues in the future with it..
uh well they did the previous oil change.

2. same 2017 jeep used 5w30 semi syn. and jobber filter. I paid for mopar filter and it takes 5w20 semisyn or syn.

3. 2019 jeep 2.0T used 5w20 semi syn car calls for 5w30 full syn api SN+ meeting ms-13340 spec.
I told them not to bother checking air filter it had 10000 miles on car.
they used impact driver and blew up one of the screw heads.

they also tried to get me to PAY for a tire rotation.. AS IF I would let them touch it after all that.. oh and tire rotations were included Free for 2 years with jeep wave.

Last edited:
I don't use them. Less for a concern of improper oil level. More out of a deeper less rational concern that they will bend the pinch welds, lose hardware or scratch up my undertray, put bolts on too tight, spill small amounts of oil on stuff. All things I go out of my way to be careful of. None of which are a big deal, clearly. But they matter to me.

We're probably talking around $150.00 in oil and filters for four OC's if I were to do them myself. Not that that's insignificant, but it's still money I could use elsewhere. But I'll probably wind up doing it myself. Can't put a price on peace of mind. And besides, I really do like doing the OC's. It's therapeutic to me. :)

I would use the free services but be specific up front about what you expect: proper fluids in proper quantities, and proper torques applied to everything. They should do this anyway, but at least you'll know you were direct with them. Also check everything after they give you the keys, including the drain plug torque and oil filter torque. You might mark the oil filter so you can be sure it was changed.
Depending on how long the service takes and the value of your own time, it might not be worth the free price, especially with all the shade and doubt cast in my comments above. Good luck.

Nothing "Complementary" about them.
You paid for them. Use them.
You have the paper trail. If they "put the wrong oil in" and it goes "BOOM," it's on them.

If you dont plan on doing future oil changes yourself and going back to the same dealer then let them do it. I have had so many screw ups at the dealer that I would be under the car checking drain bolt torque, filter tightness and fluid levels that I might as well do it myself. I had an early transmission fluid service done because I was towing allot. When I got home I found the fluid level almost a qt low and when I went to do the next service 25% of the pan bolts had rounded heads and they were all over tightened.

I have very limited experience as a new-car buyer, but I passed on the free first oil change from the dealer for my 2012 Mazda3. Since I change it myself and do extended OCIs I wouldn't take them up on the offer unless I get to the point physically where I can't change my oil at home anymore. In the end, I use a lot less of my time doing it at home!

Dealers make a killing on this kind of thing with so many customers - in for "free" oil change? Here 's a cabin filter and air filter you don't need at a v. high price. Oh and we noticed you could use our induction cleaning service too (can of Tectron). I don't fault them for it at all, but be aware and stick to your guns - no thanks, just the free oil change.

Knock on wood, never had a problem with a dealer, indy or the Valvoline quick lube joint changing the oil on my car over many years and many hundreds of thousands of miles. Presumably they used the correct stuff but I never checked. Cars always worked fine, even with higher mileage so whatever they used seems to be plenty good enough.

I do assume my membership on this board will be either revoked or suspended for such blasphemous remarks however.

If you have an engine with fairly specific requirements like a Euro car, LSPI prone etc. I wouldn't trust a dealer to use some misc. oil out of a bulk tank that you have no idea what it is. You can get 5 quarts of quality oil any day of the week for about $25 or less. Plus there's often sales and rebates to add to the savings.

I used the free changes on our Scion. Had no issues with them doing it. Never had them try to upsell me anything either in the 2 years they were doing it.
Got free tire rotations and a vacuum and wash as well. Plus go to go look at all the pretty vehicles I can't afford.

We have a 2020 Jetta S 1.4 TSI with 2 years free scheduled maintenance also. I’ll be handling the oil changes. More times than not something on our vehicles has been damaged. That includes both our Honda and VW dealer.

Nothing "Complementary" about them.
You paid for them. Use them.
You have the paper trail. If they "put the wrong oil in" and it goes "BOOM," it's on them.

Even if dealer accepts responsibility, you still have a monumental hassle going through the repair process.

I have done 100% of my auto repairs/maintenance since I started driving in 1966 except for one complimentary oil change and several warranty repairs. The oil change was on my brand new Lexus RX300 in Jan 2000. Picked her up and discovered two major scratches down the entire hood from windshield wipers to bumper. Dealer said I could not prove he did it and he could not prove the scratch was already there. It went downhill from there. Several warranty repairs on various Lexus and Toyota vehicles at 4 different dealerships all went bad. Not one issue fixed right the first time and several cases of collateral damage similar to what previous posters experienced. I have two complementary services available for my new Lexus ES 350 but I will not let the dealership touch my car unless absolutely necessary for a recall or warranty repair.

Didn’t take the dealer up on their offer when we bought the van. Last time I paid someone to do an oil change (jiffy lube) it ended up being $100 (7qts of synthetic oil) and that was the last time I ever paid someone to do an oil change.

Back