Conoco Dex- VI Best Value for the Buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone with any experience or knowledge with Conoco (or Kendall) Dexron VI? I could find no posts mentioning it.

I was looking at their data sheet:

Flash Point 444F
Pour Point -60F
cst@100C 6.0
cst@40C 29.8
Viscosity Index 151
cst@ - 40C (Brookfield) 11,500

Questions:

1) It has a flashpoint higher than any other ATF than I have seen listed (Except Red Line D6). Including Red Line D4, Amsoil Universal ATM, and all other Dexron VI such as Valvoline, Mobil etc.

Does this mean that it consists of a group IV / V base stock, instead of the usual group III found in other Dexron VI's?

2) On paper, if the specs are correct, should this be one of the better ATF's you can buy for both hot and cold applications?

My application is a '94, 3 speed Cushman Police Truckster (Meter Maid NYPD Parking Enforcement Vehicle). Think of a 3 wheeled golf cart. It has a 3 cylinder, liquid cooled, 27 HP Daihatsu engine with an Aisin (I think) automatic transmission. Either Dexron II or III was originally called for. Since it only holds 2-3 qts ATF, I can afford to use any of the above ATF's. I know many of you like Amsoil, but could this be better? I can buy 2 qts for under $8. It makes for a good tester of these high dollar fluids without breaking the bank since it uses so little of them. (I am running GC green right now).

All of the GM approved Dexron-VI fluids perform about the same. Dexron-VI fluids are usually Group III based.

As for an ATF being "better," it depends on the application. The fluid cannot be deemed better than another ATF solely from its PDS info. It has to be built for the application that you are trying to use it in.

Looking at the datasheets it would appear that Conoco (Kendall/76) Dexron VI is one of the best. I think that the basestock is group III as it says made in South Korea on the bottle. South Korea makes a lot of group III. I was looking for either Pennzoil, Chevron or Conoco for my 96 JXR with the 4L80E GM transmission. I could only find the Conoco.

It's a good one but to be honest that spec is so tight that there really is not much between any of them.

GM's Dexron-VI spec requires performance that is met only with a syn blend or better base fluid. GM does not specify the base oil, just the performance it must meet. Group III syn is not required, but could be used.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
GM's Dexron-VI spec requires performance that is met only with a syn blend or better base fluid. GM does not specify the base oil, just the performance it must meet. Group III syn is not required, but could be used.

How would you categorize Red Line D6, as compared with the rest of the Dexron VI ATF's? (It obviously is not a syn blend). Does it meet the performance with a better base fluid?

Also, is the additive package the same for Red Line D6 as the other Dexron VI ATF's?

No, Redline does not have the approved additive package.

GM's Dexron-VI not only brings improved base oils, but the most important part is the improved frictional durability. The improved frictional performance was very important for GM because their new automatics now have clutch-to-clutch operation, which puts significantly more strain on the fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back