Dex VI questions

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Railrust
I want to say I read that Dex Vl is not always full Synthetic to meet Dex Vl requirements, and that some makers of the fluid sell it as a synthetic blend. Even AC Delco in some versions.

It has to perform as a group III synthetic at a minimum to be Dexos VI certified.

If you want a true full synthetic ATF the Dexron HP is your fluid.

Most Dexron VI's are majority Group III with some Group IV with a smidgeon of ester thrown in for seal swell.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Railrust
I want to say I read that Dex Vl is not always full Synthetic to meet Dex Vl requirements, and that some makers of the fluid sell it as a synthetic blend. Even AC Delco in some versions.

It has to perform as a group III synthetic at a minimum to be Dexos VI certified.

If you want a true full synthetic ATF the Dexron HP is your fluid.

Most Dexron VI's are majority Group III with some Group IV with a smidgeon of ester thrown in for seal swell.

I'm afraid to use Dexron HP. And now it appears GM is too. Too many issues with TC shudder. They are switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP (blue label?) per TSB #18-NA-355. Shudder is the same reason I'm trying so hard to get ACDelco Dex VI. I performed a complete exchange with 3 gallons of Maxlife multi-vehicle last fall and the shuddering started almost immediately. Never had it before. Are some ATFs too thin when hot for GM transmissions? I say yes. CAFE shudder lol.

One example: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...atf-solvesgm-transmission-shudder-issues

Some stats maybe you can comment

Maxlife multi vehicle ATF
cSt@40*C - 28.82
cSt@100*C - 5.91

ACDelco Dex VI
cSt@40*C - 30.6
cSt@100*C - 6.1

Dexron HP
cSt@40*C - 28.1
cSt @ 100°C - 5.95

Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP
cSt@40*C - 27.3
cSt@100*C - 5.99

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Some stats maybe you can comment

Maxlife multi vehicle ATF
cSt@40*C - 28.82
cSt@100*C - 5.91

ACDelco Dex VI
cSt@40*C - 30.6
cSt@100*C - 6.1

Dexron HP
cSt@40*C - 28.1
cSt @ 100°C - 5.95

Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP
cSt@40*C - 27.3
cSt@100*C - 5.99

They are all Low Viscosity ATF's. Even a +, - 1.2 cSt viscosity Delta should not make any difference as long as the formula is correct.

The original Dexron HP Factory Fluids were blended by PetroCanada.

It could be they had a blending problem?

Unless someone produces the GM TSB it is all conjecture.

Last edited:
Back