CONCERNS WITH NEWER DIESEL OILS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Look at 229.5 as if it is ACEA A3/B4....and on 229.51 as if it is ACEA C3...

You can use ACEA C3 in a gaser with no problem...

+1
Over the equator here, an MB 229.5 oil invariably always carries ACEA A3B4, i.e high SaPS oil.
Shell Helix Ultra 5W40

Whereas an MB 229.51 oil always carries ACEA C3, i.e mid-SaPS oil.

Last edited:
C3 is applicable (recommended) as a petrol/ gasoline lubricant ONLY in EU, Switzerland, Norway. Sulphur is limited under 10 ppm in these countries.

This has been discussed numerous times.

Here are 2 differing Blotter Spot Test results of ACEA C3 5W40 of :-
a)
..of 9700 km ( 6062 miles) in a Kia K5 Theta II 2.0L that calls for API SM ; and

b)
..of 9000 km ( 5600 miles ) in a Perodua (Toyota Passo) 1.3L K3VE engine that calls for API SL.

Generally C3 does not perform unfavourably against A3B4 in Euro 2 RON95 gasoline fuels, though its mileage maybe considered as low in EU.

You can use ACEA C3 in a gaser with no problem...if it is intended to cope with the diesel soot...it will not find difficulties to protect a gasoline engine wich polutes its internals far less....its even beter for your TWC aftertreatment system....in fact almost all car services/retailers are using C3 (mid saps) oils for both engine types...it is simplier that way because they dont have to hold xy types of oil in their stash...

And it works fine here...because we have gasoline/diesel with 0 sulfur content!!!

On the other hand...put a 229.5 oil into a diesel car intended for a 229.51 and you will clogg its DPF in one OCI (you wil get/put engine into a limp mode)...and you will have to change or repair your DPF!

From what I've read, you can stick a 229.51 oil in a gasser that calls for 229.5, but it's not recommended for long change intervals like MB has at 10k in the US. So my point was that a 229.51 oil is NOT the same as a 229.5 and certainly not vice versa. I believe you were trying to make the point you could use them in both, but there are drawbacks with it in gassers which is why you want to use the right oil for a gasser or diesel.

Can someone explain why this is not the intent of OEM (that MB 229.51 is good for both gasoline and light duty diesel engines) , but that of the author ?

Edit:.....apology for fumbling with links ....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

You can use ACEA C3 in a gaser with no problem...if it is intended to cope with the diesel soot...it will not find difficulties to protect a gasoline engine wich polutes its internals far less....its even beter for your TWC aftertreatment system....in fact almost all car services/retailers are using C3 (mid saps) oils for both engine types...it is simplier that way because they dont have to hold xy types of oil in their stash...

And it works fine here...because we have gasoline/diesel with 0 sulfur content!!!

On the other hand...put a 229.5 oil into a diesel car intended for a 229.51 and you will clogg its DPF in one OCI (you wil get/put engine into a limp mode)...and you will have to change or repair your DPF!

From what I've read, you can stick a 229.51 oil in a gasser that calls for 229.5, but it's not recommended for long change intervals like MB has at 10k in the US. So my point was that a 229.51 oil is NOT the same as a 229.5 and certainly not vice versa. I believe you were trying to make the point you could use them in both, but there are drawbacks with it in gassers which is why you want to use the right oil for a gasser or diesel.

KameleON is in EU, preferred specification for late MBs is MB229.51 or 52. 229.5 could also be used in petrol/gasoline cars and older pre-DPF diesels.

You on other hand are located in NA. There MB recommend MB229.5 for gasoline and 229.51 for diesel. You are both right regarding specifications in your markets.

This should be cleared so that someone wouldn't make wrong decision like choosing 229.51 oil for a gasoline car in America.

Decided to go out to the shed to check on the stockpile. (be honest you all have stockpiles)

Shell seem to think their oils work perfectly well in petrol and diesels (and I current have the 0W30 in my Saab 95 2.3L-T petrol and it runs great, no lifter clater on start-up, great fuel economy and generally very quiet/smooth running.)

The good thing with both the VW504/507 and 502/505 specs in addition is the GM-DEXOS2 spec is that they call for a minimum HTHS of >3.5. Thus they almost by default meet A3/B3/B4 (while not all labelled as such.) Also remember that 504:502 are petrol specs and 505:507 are diesel specs
smile.gif

I use Valvoline Dexos2 products in both my mum's petrol Mitsubishi Outlander (5W30) and Dad's Mitsubishi Triton Turbo Diesel (5W40) no issues. And since Supercheap Auto parts had them on 50% off runout, we stocked up.

Not be be left out (I have a problem I know,) Nulon have this:

Don't see what the big issue is
wink.gif

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
ACEA A3/B4

Kind of, but ACEA C and E are the proper diesel specs, not really A/B.

Quote:
LL-01

LL-01 is for gasoline engines. LL-04 is for diesels.

Quote:

229.5 is for gasoline engines. 229.51 and 229.52 are for diesels.

Quote:

502.00/505.00 is for gasoline engines. 504.00/507.00 is for diesels.

C is Catalyst friendly oils, reduced SAPS.

E is for heavy duty diesel oil

I can't remember to be honest but i think A is petrol and B is diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back