Concealed weapons permit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Funny, too - if I drive back to MD to visit I can carry my gun legally all the way across country until MD!

Interesting that WV doesn't honor the Texas Permit. Looks like you have the whole South covered. Looking at the map it might be a matter of time that Pa. will succumb to the gun haters.
frown.gif

http://carryconcealed.net/legal/newhampshire-ccw-state-laws.php

You are correct about WVA. I took a road trip (on motorcycle) to Sturgis SD this year and I was legal until Nebraska where I had to pull over and disarm. Atleast Concealed carry is starting to gain thru our land. The states without it I don't want to live in anyhow...

Just to bring up a point not stated here...remember the .cal you are holding. That nice .45 you think makes you more of a man, if used, may he above help you. Be aware of what is around you, behind your target, above and below. Just because you were justified in your actions against the target, that poor pregnant mom 15ft. behind was not and even a JHP will travel through soft tissue and hit a secondary target that you were not aiming at initially.

BE VERY AWARE of your surroundings as ALL times. NEVER draw your weapon unless you are going to fire it...PERIOD. I totally understand the concerns, I have a CCW myself, and am armed when I can conceal or not at work.

It is a BIG responsibility...HUGE.

Originally Posted By: ClawSS
Just to bring up a point not stated here...remember the .cal you are holding. That nice .45 you think makes you more of a man, if used, may he above help you. Be aware of what is around you, behind your target, above and below. Just because you were justified in your actions against the target, that poor pregnant mom 15ft. behind was not and even a JHP will travel through soft tissue and hit a secondary target that you were not aiming at initially.

BE VERY AWARE of your surroundings as ALL times. NEVER draw your weapon unless you are going to fire it...PERIOD. I totally understand the concerns, I have a CCW myself, and am armed when I can conceal or not at work.

It is a BIG responsibility...HUGE.

Words to live by. CCW is a very serious responsibilty that changed your life. You dress different, plan your trips more often etc to remain legal.

A new law in Texas that went almost unnoticed allows concealed carry WITHOUT a permit while in a car/truck and while going to or from your car/truck. Some reports have it that prosecutions of firearms possession "crimes" are drying up because lawyers are claiming at trial that the defendent was "going to his auto" when he was arrested with a gun.

I would like to see Vermont-style carry in Texas but we are a long way from it right now. The Tx permit is awful. I have a FL non-resident permit, I have carried in various states since 1995 and I have never been asked to show my permit.

Originally Posted By: JAYCEE
Some reports have it that prosecutions of firearms possession "crimes" are drying up because lawyers are claiming at trial that the defendent was "going to his auto" when he was arrested with a gun.

Hahahahahah

I just finished the CCW class Sunday. Some interesting points here as well. The instructor was preaching using a 40 or 45 cal gun. He was kind of dogging my CZ 9mm. He said that if you have a misfire, then your dead. Well guess what? All the 40 and 45's had a misfire during the shooting phase and I just kind of laughed. Good point on the larger calibers riping right through someone. That could be a bad thing in a given situation. One thing about Texas that OK doesn't have. You have the right to protect life and property, OK it's just life. In TX, you can shoot someone for stealing your riding lawn mower.....without a CCW permit, you can carry it in the car, but you have to have the ammo and gun physically and secured from each other, like one in the trunk and the other in the cab. If the gun is in the cab, it has to be visible. He suggested putting it on the dash.....which I thought was kind of stupid because then what's the whole point in having a gun then??

Last edited:
We came close to CCW two years ago here in WI, but it got vetoed by our lovely Governor. I don't think it will happen up here in my lifetime.

I'm reading some things about penetration and feel concerned enough to start another thread. I think it bears a bit of discussion.
Steve

Originally Posted By: Tempest
You got a lame instructor.

Very true. That instructor really doesn't know what he's talking about if he thinks 9mm is vastly less powerful than either .40S&W or .45ACP

Originally Posted By: Johnny
We came close to CCW two years ago here in WI, but it got vetoed by our lovely Governor. I don't think it will happen up here in my lifetime.

Don't give up hope. It took us two tries in KS... the 2nd time there were enough votes to finally override the Governor's veto.

The larger calibers ripping right through someone? Huuuuuuuuuuh? A 45 has less penetration than a 9mm in testing and many example of 40 have less penetration. Since when does bullet diameter equal power? A 7 mag deer rifle I guess is less powerful than a 45.
LOL.gif
I don't understand why so many dog the 9mm when it is one of the most effective rounds in real world police shootings and in ballistics testing. And there are a shattas of different loadings for it from tame and cheap to down right nasty. I take your CZ 9mm over a 45 or a 40 any day Schmoe. Loaded up with the right defense ammunition, it'll pack as much or more wallup than a 45 IMO.

Last edited:
Quote:
Loaded up with the right defense ammunition, it'll pack as much or more wallup than a 45 IMO.

Not when loaded with comparable ammo. There is a reason why SWAT teams and special forces want .45.

With comparable +p+ ammo, both will be at about 500 ft. lbs of muzzle energy and the 9mm will have about 200 to 300 more ft./sec.

It's all up to what you like to shoot. I prefer 9mm myself.

Last edited:
.45 will have a larger wound channel, again, with comparable ammo. Not to mention a larger "thump" from greater momentum. That's not to say 9mm is inadequate, but if you are going into harms way, bring the biggest stick you can.

Quote:
Then why don't you carry a shotgun with you???

Yep, that's why handguns are considered to be back ups, but you still want the most effective sidearm you can have.

Quote:
Another advantage to 9mm: smaller weapon with more ammunition capacity.

I'll give you that.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
.45 will have a larger wound channel, again, with comparable ammo. Not to mention a larger "thump" from greater momentum. That's not to say 9mm is inadequate, but if you are going into harms way, bring the biggest stick you can.

I'd much much rather have the added capacity and lower recoil of the 9mm than the slight edge in stopping power that .45ACP might have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back