Completely lost interest in DIY maintenance...

I understand. I've cut back on detailing our vehicles for similar reasons. They still get much more attention than most, but life is so busy now and even at 28 I feel so tired after detailing. So I cut back to every 2 weeks.

Lastly there is how long you can do it in vs a pro. I can do brakes but probably take 2X the time a pro would take.
Same here and I don't care. When I do brakes, including pads + rotors, it probably takes me 30+ minutes per wheel and I'm fine with it. Changing oil probably takes 30-45 minutes although I include from when I pull the car into my garage until I start the car. I see people claim 10 minutes to do brakes per wheel and laugh and/or roll my eyes...

I like fixing my own stuff and doing home improvement, but I go through spells where don't even want to check my own oil. So I understand.
I hate home improvements. I’ll do some myself after getting an estimate but generally hate it. I don’t mind projects that have an easy stopping point and I can still be comfortable. Probably from working construction for 18 years.
Car repairs I go back and forth. It’s usually less trouble to do small jobs yourself than hassle with the 3hr oil change at Firestone. Some bigger or jobs that are miserable without a lift I will pay for.

Not yet.Still on saving's on DIY and job done right mentality,had closeby neighbor doing major stuff on his garage if I have issue's.

I hate home improvements. I’ll do some myself after getting an estimate but generally hate it. I don’t mind projects that have an easy stopping point and I can still be comfortable. Probably from working construction for 18 years.
Car repairs I go back and forth. It’s usually less trouble to do small jobs yourself than hassle with the 3hr oil change at Firestone. Some bigger or jobs that are miserable without a lift I will pay for.
Never been a fan of home improvement. Loved working on vehicles for the longest, but the older I get the more it fades away.

I can't say I'm as excited to work on a car as I used to be, but I'll keep doing it as long as I can. The cost to get a car repaired is out of this world nowadays, and you can never be sure the job is done right. Just today I was changing a radiator out on my '07 Pacifica. part cost $99 for a Denso on Rockauto. Would have easily cost $400-500 had I taken it somewhere. 2 hour job and that was working casually drinking some cold beverages. While I was changing the radiator, I noticed the last "reputable" shop that replaced my A/C condensor a couple years ago (didn't have A/C tools at the time) cut every corner he could. Missing bolts where they were hard to get to, zip ties in place of the correct plastic fasteners (you know, the ones that break all the time and cost $0.01 per piece, readily available on Amazon). I hadn't noticed it before because you have to remove the radiator to get a good look at the A/C condenser. Every job I've ever taken to a mechanic, they find some way to screw it up.

Attachments

• 6D5C6400-4969-45ED-9F21-F71AE926779A.jpeg
    6D5C6400-4969-45ED-9F21-F71AE926779A.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 24
As the title suggests, completely lost the desire to work on things myself... Job is hectic, wife works and goes to school, kids are all in one or more extracurriculars, and I have other interests I’d rather spend my limited time on... Still very much capable just not really interested. Once my last jug and filter are used up, I’ll be letting the local Firestone take the reins on vehicle maintenance for the foreseeable future.

This ever happen to anyone else?
NOPE

As the title suggests, completely lost the desire to work on things myself... Job is hectic, wife works and goes to school, kids are all in one or more extracurriculars, and I have other interests I’d rather spend my limited time on... Still very much capable just not really interested. Once my last jug and filter are used up, I’ll be letting the local Firestone take the reins on vehicle maintenance for the foreseeable future.

Maybe you have so much going on and are just tired/ fatigued with work/ Wife/Children.

Sounds like your situation/ feelings have less to do with vehicle maintenance, but not self-maintaining your cars is one less hassle in your current schedule of duties and responsibilities.

Burn out is a real thing for many people.

Yeah - did a bunch of that at one time and evolved into liking outside DIY work better than inside DIY work.
Works out good with my wife who is the opposite …

Maybe you have so much going on and are just tired/ fatigued with work/ Wife/Children.

Sounds like your situation/ feelings have less to do with vehicle maintenance, but not self-maintaining your cars is one less hassle in your current schedule of duties and responsibilities.

Burn out is a real thing for many people.
It’s definitely not burn out. I just would rather do other things with my time.

@ATex7239 you are ready for a MityVac. Fraction of the time and mess. No trolley jack, stands wrenches, etc.
You don't even get dirty. Try swappong filters every other time; perhaps bring it in when the filter is due.

Seriously easy, clean and time saving! I love my MityVac.

Pic is broken.
55$ and free shipping.
anyone in the market should consider this one as long as 6.5L (7qt) is enough.
Site is legit have ordered from them a few times.

Pic is broken.
55$ and free shipping.
anyone in the market should consider this one as long as 6.5L (7qt) is enough.
Site is legit have ordered from them a few times.
I like the MityVac extractor because it expels the fluid with the flip of a switch.
Some do and some don't.

Problem is that its hard to find a place or person who will do the work same as you nowadays. Everytime I decide to have someone else work on my vehicles they seem to screw up! Just installed some fishing rod holders on a new boat I bout after I was quoted $300 in labor. Took a little time but now I still have $300 and the job came out perfect!!

Buy a QuickJack. It'll take you the same amount of time to change oil that it takes Firestone to do it.

I understand 110%, however I’m still doing my own oil changes because the last time I went to Jiffy Lube with a 5.7 hemi it was over $100 and I don’t trust anyone to not break the oil filter housing on the van. Need to get a Mityvac for the van, then I wouldn’t need to climb under it at all.

I feel you, OP. I haven’t reached that point with maintenance, and hope I never do, but I lost my interest in detailing 2-3 years ago.

I enjoy planned maintenance. Unplanned repairs or maintenance that builds up then needs to be done is not as enjoyable. I work a full-time job, workout after work, do yard maintenance, maintain vehicles for several family and friends and also run a small engine business. There are days when I think "why am I doing this?" but it is usually on a cold New England day or when working on something for someone who wants it done as cheap as possible on a POS that is already falling apart. In the end I still enjoy it, but I'm sure with a few more aches and pains I wouldn't.

I understand 110%, however I’m still doing my own oil changes because the last time I went to Jiffy Lube with a 5.7 hemi it was over $100 and I don’t trust anyone to not break the oil filter housing on the van. Need to get a Mityvac for the van, then I wouldn’t need to climb under it at all.
I’m cheap but not as cheap as some I guess.

$75 once a quarter on a 4 cylinder oil change ain’t really rocking my portfolio.

Back