Completely lost interest in DIY maintenance...

As the title suggests, completely lost the desire to work on things myself... Job is hectic, wife works and goes to school, kids are all in one or more extracurriculars, and I have other interests I’d rather spend my limited time on... Still very much capable just not really interested. Once my last jug and filter are used up, I’ll be letting the local Firestone take the reins on vehicle maintenance for the foreseeable future.

This ever happen to anyone else?

No it doesn’t happen to me. I guess cause I’m used to working on stuff now it’s became second nature and it’s my job as a mechanic to do it. We can’t work on our own stuff at work unless we have an RO so I do everything I need to do at home besides tires I do those at work. Heck there are days I come home and don’t want to do anything besides work on something like I’ll go out and check the oil in every vehicle or raise the hood and look around or check the tread depths or whatever. Never get tired of it.

No it doesn’t happen to me. I guess cause I’m used to working on stuff now it’s became second nature and it’s my job as a mechanic to do it. We can’t work on our own stuff at work unless we have an RO so I do everything I need to do at home besides tires I do those at work. Heck there are days I come home and don’t want to do anything besides work on something like I’ll go out and check the oil in every vehicle or raise the hood and look around or check the tread depths or whatever. Never get tired of it.
you're young get back back to us in 30 years....

To each his own my friend. I turned wrenches in another industry for 15yrs. Can’t say I miss it.

I am getting to where some jobs are beyond me now. I get my 44 yr old son to help me. I just recently replaced the fuel pump in my 07 Ram 1500. It took me several weeks with waiting on parts. That was as big a job as I want to do anymore. I have a pressure plate to replace on my 65 VW Beetle and a head with a crack on my 90 Ranger with 2.9L Nobody around here wants to work on my old vehicles, so it ends up "Do it yourself" or get rid of it. I do not like the newer 4 wheeled appliances.

I say if you have the money to pay someone and have other interests then why work on your car yourself. I feel one can find a trusted Indy shop in most towns. No need to go to a dealer or quick oil change place.

I recently got my truck detailed. I could have done most of what the shop did myself but no time and it's getting cold outside.

Same goes for house maintenance. I can paint, do electrical, plumbing but these days I get people to do the work.

Working on areas of a boat like the outdrive require a lot of experience and adjusting something wrong could cause an expensive ($1400) gear set to be damaged, and/or leave me me stranded on the water.

Lastly there is how long you can do it in vs a pro. I can do brakes but probably take 2X the time a pro would take. I have all the tools except a sand blaster but probably do a more though job cleaning and lubricating than a pro would do.

I have trust issues when it comes to vehicle repair. Even when I go to shops which have good reputations and are owned by people who honestly do try to serve their customers well, I find screwups after the fact. Not every time, but often enough that I'll DIY whenever possible.

At this point, it's really not a money issue either. If I could be sure that the job would be done right, I would farm most maintenance out in a heartbeat.

You're 19 or 20 right? You've got a lot of years to put in and add a wife and kids and your own place before you'll get what he's talking about. Just saying.

You're 19 or 20 right? You've got a lot of years to put in and add a wife and kids and your own place before you'll get what he's talking about. Just saying.
Yeah I am. I work about 50 hours a week now though 7:30-6 everyday and work is an hour away so that leaves me very limited free time by the time I get home I’m usually tired but want to do stuff and on the weekends I have to do stuff on our cars or others cars. Doesn’t bother me too bad though sometimes a small break is nice. I definitely miss free time though usually when I come home if there is nothing to work on we all hop in the car, go eat, get sodas and come home and get ready for bed.

There's definitely times I don't care to do basic maintenance on my vehicles like oil/fluid changes, brakes, etc, but at the end of the day it often takes more time, effort and money to go the Firestone shop route anyway and I have no idea how well of a job they did.

There's definitely times I don't care to do basic maintenance on my vehicles like oil/fluid changes, brakes, etc, but at the end of the day it often takes more time, effort and money to go the Firestone shop route anyway and I have no idea how well of a job they did.
Money, yes. Time and effort, no. If that were the case I wouldn’t have posted this

Back