Community input appreciated RE: trade proposal

Long story short, I'm tired of the ~15mpg my Jeep achieves. Initially, the fuel economy wasn't an issue. Fast forward 6 months and I now find myself seeing someone who lives 70ish miles away. That's a 150 mile round trip every other weekend, not to mention the 300 mile round trip to the cabin 6-7x between April and October.

I'm a huge fan of the barter system, so I listed the truck on FB Marketplace in search of a trade. I was hoping for a 1:1 deal, but I was willing to go $500ish in cash either way if the deal was right.

After a few days of junk inquiries, I received a message from a very nice individual offering their '98 Camry LE for straight trade. 230k, ice cold AC, oil pump and timing belt replaced 2500mi ago, VC gasket plugs and wires replaced 500 miles ago. Pictures look great, some paint peeling on the bumpers and it has the typical Toyota door handle sickness but otherwise a solid looking vehicle. Basically, it's exactly the bore fest I'm looking for.

Knowing those details, I'd love feedback from the group. I'm more or less sold on the deal pending an in-person inspection, but I'm also oddly attached to my WJ. As always, any input is appreciated!

Why don't you just trade cash for your truck? Then you can buy whatever you want. I sometimes offer to take trades for whatever I'm selling at the moment but only after I've tried to sell it outright without any luck. And when I do, their car is usually a POS they want top dollar for.

A 2022 Jeep GC (my wife's) gets... 15mpg out of a V6. It can get a bit more on the highway, if you baby it, etc, about 20mpg. But it's a 15mpg vehicle all day long. When we got in March we could have bought a POS Camry or an even bigger POS Hyundai. But we didn't. Love your Jeep, they're awesome vehicles. Drive less and have the other person pitch in or make the drive to you once in a while. Gas is not what's gonna put you in financial peril, trust me.

Sell your Jeep then seek out a vehicle which you desire to purchase or buy first then sell your Jeep.. You are narrowing your possibilities by seeking a trade of vehicles between two parties.

You didn't say what year WJ. I assume its 4x4. My guess is if its in good shape its worth more than a 98 camry.

Having said that, if you want a 98 Camry then there is nothing stopping you other than value. Maybe they will throw in some cash if KBB difference is a lot.

Consider safety.

I drive a lot more miles than most, sometimes 10K miles per month. Just yesterday, I did a bit over 1300 miles from Newburgh, NY to Scranton, PA to Jupiter, FL.

My observation is as follows: Small cars, and lightweight cars, just don't hold up in violent highway crashes. The more you drive, the bigger and more capable your vehicle should be. You've got to pay to play.

While I did not take any pictures of the crashes yesterday, I did get stuck behind 4 crash traffic jams, one of which was clearly fatal and involved a truck and car. One jam was 4 hours long!

There is no way I'd move from a GC to a Camry.

Yesterday through Virginia:

Y8IO3IE.jpg

I dunno, I tend to think a high center of gravity Jeep is more likely to be in a single vehicle accident than a low slung Camry. Not sure if crumple zones are different. OTOH since everyone now has to drive a lifted truck, a Camry driver’s head is now bumper height.

OP has not looked yet, but I’d go by rust amount underneath, the one with less is more likely the better vehicle.

Oh! am reminded though, my Camry headlights qualify as about the worst ever. Plan on new housings and/or aux lights, they are aweful.

Last edited:
If you can find a decent 4x4/AWD to trade for instead that may tip the scale, otherwise you couldn’t pay me to drive a Jeep for a 98 Camry.

I’m also biased against 90’s Camrys having had one melt its engine down 3 mile island style.

Just buy yourself a beater Camry or Accord, and keep the Jeep.
Two beaters are better than one.
If, for no other reason, it greatly enhances your chances of having a running vehicle at any point in time.

I have mixed feelings.

I'm sure you know bette than I but in MN a 4 wheel drive Jeep seems like something that would be useful.

I would also ALWAYS rather have MY used car than someone else's (the devil you know sort of thing).

I'd probably just deal with the fuel cost...

The advantage to a trade (presuming MN is like most states) is that it's an equity exchange and not a cash exchange, so if it is an "even" exchange, there are no taxes due at the time of registration.

If the Camry fits your needs, then it sounds like an OK deal to me.

I have mixed feelings.

I'm sure you know bette than I but in MN a 4 wheel drive Jeep seems like something that would be useful.

I would also ALWAYS rather have MY used car than someone else's (the devil you know sort of thing).

I'd probably just deal with the fuel cost...

Should my Jeep have a working t-case, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. However, the NV247 in my Jeep is completely dead. 4Lo works fine, but full time is toast.

Other than ground clearance, there isn't much advantage to having 4WD here unless one lives somewhere which absolutely requires it. A good set of snow tires on a Camry will perform as well if not better than my Jeep that's stuck in 2WD.

I know how you feel, get rid of the Jeep and fuhgeddaboudit.

That's exactly the mindset I'm trying to achieve. For whatever reason, I've had a lust for WJ's since I was a kid, so my truck holds a sentimental place in my heart. Emotions aside, it's still proven to be one of THE most reliable and functional vehicles I've ever owned. More so when you take into consideration that I paid $250 for it and currently have less than $1,500 invested including purchase price.

Other than ground clearance, there isn't much advantage to having 4WD here unless one lives somewhere which absolutely requires it. A good set of snow tires on a Camry will perform as well if not better than my Jeep that's stuck in 2WD.
If you have a functional limited slip differential the WJ will wipe the floor with the Camry in snow.

Back