Comfortable car for those of us with bad backs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got two herniated disks in my back (one in lumbar and one in neck). I love my old Jag XJS but it is LOW to get in and out of. If my back keeps on being as bad as it is or gets worse I make have to look at getting something else.

What would be a good choice for someone with a bad back/mobility problem? General type of car? Thinking of a 'regular' sedan (ie not sporty and low like I generally like) or a small suv. My wife has an Acura MDX and it's pretty comfortable; wouldn't want anything taller.

Specific suggestions new and used are welcome too.

TIA,
Tony

The forum has an automated software widget that automatically recommends a Crown Victoria in cases like this; it must be broken or it would have already responded.

I would suggest something like a Toyota Matrix type car.
It is not low, nor is it high. You can just sortof get in and sit down. No falling in, no climbing up into it.
I find the Matrix fairly comfortable to drive as well. Used to have one as a company car.

Originally Posted By: MaximusD
The Dodge Caliber is set up as a hatchback sedan type and it is well off the ground. Just a thought.

+1

That's pretty subjective. You're probably just going to have to sit in a bunch of cars.

Even the Jag sedans are low slung. I was struck by this yesterday when I drove our Xj8 for the first time in many months. I suspect this is why my wife rarely drives it, even though it's her car. She lkes to drive her Torrent GXP, probably because it sits up higher and is easier to get in and out of.

You might want to look at some CUV's. They have a nice seat height.

CUV/ Small SUV is sort of the way I was leaning. May post a different thread in the auto forum in general topics but off hand I can think of X3, CX5, CRV + RDX, Forrester, Countryman, RX3XX.

If you're looking for a car that is comfortable to drive for long periods of time, Mercedes is almost always the best choice. They design their cars top-to-bottom to minimize fatigue and make the drive as nice as painless as possible. They don't just ensure a soft ride or soft seats; their driving positions, steering effort and response, visibility, all kinds of NVH, and so on are all optimized to make things comfortable and relaxing at all times.

As a bonus, the cars are also pretty dynamically competent, so you don't have to give up completely on what you like about low, sporty cars.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
If you're looking for a car that is comfortable to drive for long periods of time, Mercedes is almost always the best choice. They design their cars top-to-bottom to minimize fatigue and make the drive as nice as painless as possible. They don't just ensure a soft ride or soft seats; their driving positions, steering effort and response, visibility, all kinds of NVH, and so on are all optimized to make things comfortable and relaxing at all times.

As a bonus, the cars are also pretty dynamically competent, so you don't have to give up completely on what you like about low, sporty cars.

Thinking about what your saying but my C320 Experience ruined me on Merc for a bit. Besides that model (can't remember the W number on the little 2003 c-class I had) is there any other Mercs to definitely avoid (or conversely to look for).

AFAIK, Mercedes had a bit of a quality crisis in the late '90s and early 2000s that they are now rectifying in leaps and bounds. If you look for something from 2006 and up, you should be fine.

All of my Jaguars are comfortable to drive very long distances. As was my GTO (best ever, of the cars I've owned), and my G8 out to 700 miles/day or so, past that it's a pain.

But he's talking about getting in and out of a car (edit: If I understand him, correctly). That's different than driving long distances. Way different.

I didn't think my sisters Mercedes was that comfortable, and it was pretty poor quality to boot, went through a couple of engines, sunroof needed a $1K+ repair, lousy silver paint peeled and chipped. But it was a cheap car, the 190 or something like that. Maybe real Mercedes are better.

Last edited:
right now the SRT8 seats (first gen) are one of the most expensive at a junkyard. They are truly some of the BEST seats in any auto at any price.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I would suggest something like a Toyota Matrix type car.
It is not low, nor is it high. You can just sortof get in and sit down. No falling in, no climbing up into it.
I find the Matrix fairly comfortable to drive as well. Used to have one as a company car.

Had a 2005 Vibe (same seats as the Matrix) since 2004 and my sciatic nerve started to act up within months of purchasing the car. Goes with getting old, I thought.

Switched to a Nissan Rogue - sciatic problem has not manifested itself since.

Just one person's experience. YMMV...

Originally Posted By: css9450
The forum has an automated software widget that automatically recommends a Crown Victoria in cases like this; it must be broken or it would have already responded.

This is exactly why I bought my wife one. Oh, and she loves them! Also thought Scion XB was easy to get in and out of for those with back issues.

John

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
right now the SRT8 seats (first gen) are one of the most expensive at a junkyard. They are truly some of the BEST seats in any auto at any price.

As in a first generation Charger SRT8?

Not in the one that I drove for four hours... and the rock hard drivers door armrest was a real treat too.

To each his own, I suppose.

lol.gif

The irony is that this is one of the few cases a Crown Victoria might be a good suggestion.

Originally Posted By: MaximusD
The Dodge Caliber is set up as a hatchback sedan type and it is well off the ground. Just a thought.

I'm riding in one now, and have to say that as a rental, the seats arent bad. Pretty well formed to my lower back and firm.

If cost and car height were of no option, get a BMW with M-sport seats. Ultra comfortable and supportive.

Otherwise the best I've found are VW and Honda.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

The irony is that this is one of the few cases a Crown Victoria might be a good suggestion.

Yup, or a Townie/Grand Marquis

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

While 80's and prior horsehair/spring seats are really great against fatigue, I don't know that id say newer ones, e.g. W210 are that stand-out performance wise.

I view me seats as comfortable so you don't get fatigued driving. When I see bad back, I think extra support in a firm but comfortable seat. A little different, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back