Comfortable car for those of us with bad backs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: css9450
The forum has an automated software widget that automatically recommends a Crown Victoria in cases like this; it must be broken or it would have already responded.

The irony is that this is one of the few cases a Crown Victoria might be a good suggestion.

Yup, or a Townie/Grand Marquis

Is that because of pure, raw space, or because the seats are any good?

I don't recall my time in a grand marquis as memorable in terms of comfort, just overly soft seats.

Of course I suppose they have to be made decent for cops and taxi drivers.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The forum has an automated software widget that automatically recommends a Crown Victoria in cases like this; it must be broken or it would have already responded.

The irony is that this is one of the few cases a Crown Victoria might be a good suggestion.

Is that because of pure, raw space, or because the seats are any good?

I don't recall my time in a grand marquis as memorable in terms of comfort, just overly soft seats.

Of course I suppose they have to be made decent for cops and taxi drivers.

They are just quite plush with a soft ride. My dad has no problem sitting in his for 18hrs straight so factor that in FWIW.

The M5 has fabulous seats (14hr trip and I still felt comfortable and had no exhaustion when I got out) but that car doesn't make any sort of sense in a thread like this due simply to what it is.

Originally Posted By: OldSparks
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I would suggest something like a Toyota Matrix type car.
It is not low, nor is it high. You can just sortof get in and sit down. No falling in, no climbing up into it.
I find the Matrix fairly comfortable to drive as well. Used to have one as a company car.

Had a 2005 Vibe (same seats as the Matrix) since 2004 and my sciatic nerve started to act up within months of purchasing the car. Goes with getting old, I thought.

Switched to a Nissan Rogue - sciatic problem has not manifested itself since.

Just one person's experience. YMMV...

No doubt.
I was in a 2007 Matrix. The seats were comfortable and the car is at a good height for accessibility. Other than that as some others have said, comfort is entirely subjective based on people's builds.

Like they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I do concur that Acura MDX (mine 07) has wonderful seats.

I wonder if this seat design is shared with other Acura models and nicer Honda's (Accord).

I have rented the Matrix and Caliber and yes okay seat height but it is not even close to my Acura seats. Cruddy ride in each too.

People recommend Crown Vic/Town Car but I found the seats not that wonderful, ride was decent enough but seats nothing special.

All subjective anyway.

some depends on your frame. I'm about average size and newer honda and chryco seats are too wide for me and don't support well for long drives. I find myself slouching sideways with a resulting stiff neck and sore lumbar. Some honda seats are too short in the butt cushion for me too. we have an 02 mdx and its seats are pretty good, though the mpg is dismal. I had an 01 accord, and its seat was waaay too wide to be supportive.

the *best* seat I ever rode in that I can recall was a volvo s60. I could have slept it in. It put the la-z-boy in my den to shame. and you could sit in it forever, and it just kept you where you need to be.

it does require, however, that a volvo is wrapped around it. They are fantastic cars, if you like them. the s60 didn't work out for me (too small to haul gear, steering way too stiff).

lincoln LS IIRC had a comfy throne. and every bimmer I've sat in was quite nice.

Last edited:
Getting in and about is definitely a consideration but the comfort of the seats is too. The seats in my Jag are actually pretty decent but low.

Got a ride in a little Subie impreza this afternoon and getting out of it was a real chore too (probably harder than the Jag). The door opening for my (relatively) long legs is a consideration as well.

A Lexus RX will certainly be very comfortable, considering the seats are supportive, and the RX has a soft suspension. I've driven my RX over 18 hrs straight a few times, and I've always felt good after the drive. Nothing beats the comfort. The RX isn't so tall, that it's hard to get into. I find it easier to get into then my dad's Accord.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Another vehicle I thought of that I've liked the looks of is the Porsche Cayenne. thoughts?

I've been in one, the ride is too stiff for my taste. IMO, not comfortable.

If you have two herniated disks I doubt that you'll be able to get a recommendation from a discussion forum, even if you find someone with a similar problem.

A lot is going to depend on where the disks are located; high in the neck may respond differently than low in the neck. Same with the back-if it's in the upper back it will be completely different than the lower back. It's also going to depend on the extent of the disk damage. If it's abrading the spinal cord it's a much different situation than if it's just a slightly weakened disk.

With herniated disks, getting in and out can be just as important as seating position. If you have to twist your neck to fit under the top edge of the door you're aggravating the injury every time you get in or out of the car.

I'd first speak with a good therapist or orthopedic surgeon to get their recommendation, and go from there.

Another vehicle I thought of that I've liked the looks of is the Porsche Cayenne. thoughts?

If I were to limit myself to just one vehicle, it would be a CUV. A new Cayenne would be that CUV.

In fact, I've thought about cutting the fleet down to just the Torrent, Sol, and a new Cayenne for myself.

I drove an RX330 and found it hideously UNcomfortable. Sure, the suspension and seats were plenty soft, and absorbed every single bump and vibration that occurred. But the suspension was SO soft that the vehicle bobbed and rocked all over the place whenever there was an undulation or camber change in the road. It felt like a lifted Camry, or a more civilized version of a '70s American land yacht.

Different strokes for different folks, but most of the upscale/premium vehicles I have driven have struck what I feel is a much better balance between shock absorption and body motion control.

What would be a good choice for someone with a bad back/mobility problem? General type of car? Thinking of a 'regular' sedan (ie not sporty and low like I generally like) or a small suv. My wife has an Acura MDX and it's pretty comfortable; wouldn't want anything taller.

Specific suggestions new and used are welcome too.

If you're considering a sedan check out the Buick Lucerne, those are plush, comfy cars all around I think.

I have a lot of back issues..The ONLY cars I am comfortable in [more so on long trips like from Miami-NYC which is generally around 23 hours] are Crown Vics,Grand Marquis and Town Cars..Nothing else..Even after 30 minutes in most cars I am in pain.

My sister used have back issues in her 07 Camry..She has been a happy camper ever since she traded in her Camry for a Grand Marquis LS..

I agree about Volvo seats, and SAAB seats are among the very best.

I suggest test driving several Volvo models. If seat comfort is critical you might well end up buying one.

After that the Germans.

My father has been to many places that sell back pain relieving devices, and there is always at least one person there with a Hyundai Sonata.

The problem with discussions of car seats is that everyone is different and their preference varies.

I prefer the seats found on VW and Audi cars the most, but my father prefers the seats in Lexus models. I bought my Mitsubishi because the seats feel similar to VW and Audi seats.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
The ONLY cars I am comfortable in [more so on long trips like from Miami-NYC which is generally around 23 hours] are Crown Vics,Grand Marquis and Town Cars..Nothing else..Even after 30 minutes in most cars I am in pain.
See, I was the exact opposite. I couldn't get rid of my Grand Marquis fast enough. That couch front seat just killed me no matter how I set it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back