Comcast cable TV hookup question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother had Comcast out to hookup the cable box etc to her 1080 HDTV. I noticed they used regular RCA cables from the cable box to the TV instead of a HDMI cable and the box does have a HDMI port. Some of the channels appear to be in high def though...is this correct? thanks.

Did they use the Component output (separate red, green, and blue connections) or the Composite output (single yellow for video)?

If the former, then that works just fine. Depending on the cable box, it may even have better video and audio D2A converters than the TV, so Component may make a better picture than HDMI. You have to try both and see.

If they used the Composite output, that's just wrong.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Did they use the Component output (separate red, green, and blue connections) or the Composite output (single yellow for video)?
yes, that was exactly how it was done....I'm not a real techno at this stuff but noticed the HDMI cable missing behind the box and thought you have to use those to get HDTV.

This has been going on for years; something I corrected for an uncle in 2006 back when HDTVs were two thousand buxs! Cable TV guys are kinda dumb or hamstrung by corporate policies. Call the center office (if it's a big deal) and demand a HD hookup. Or buy a cheapo HDMI cable off dealextreme.com if you're just pragmatic.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Call the center office (if it's a big deal) and demand a HD hookup.

He already has an HD hookup. It's accomplished using 3xRCA connections in his case. Picture quality will be the same as using an HDMI cable. The only thing is he'll have to run a separate cable for the audio portion of the signal, either to his TV or to his HT receiver. This seems to be standard practice with Comcast though - they'll give you an HD box with 5xRCA cables (3 for video and 2 for audio).

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
yes, that was exactly how it was done....

Yes what?
smile.gif
RF Overlord listed two options: component vs composite. Which one was it?

You can pull the cables they used and use HDMI if you want. I would, HDMI digital is better than the Analog Component cables in pretty much every way. 1 cable instead of 5, better quality, less signal degradation.

Sorry,,, yes it was using the various colored cables...""they'll give you an HD box with 5xRCA cables (3 for video and 2 for audio)"".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R
better quality,

Meh... not always. It can depend on a number of factors. I guess there is no harm in him trying it both ways and deciding which one he likes better.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/dvihdmicomponent.htm

From a convenience perspective, HDMI is better, I agree.

Moreover, modern HDMI cables can now also pass 3D information, Ethernet, as well as provide return feed, but I'm guessing none of it applies to the OP.

You should be hooking the box up through HDMI as component cables are analog and only capable of broadcasting 720p. HDMI will give you the full 1080i or 1080p when available. Also hdmi has the ability to transport full 5.1 surround sound as opposed to plain yuck stereo sound. All modern tv's with hdmi ports on back can decode the 5.1 and give you virtual 5.1 in stereo (2 speakers).

Originally Posted By: Timothy Ferguson
only capable of broadcasting 720p.

Where have you found this info? I was able to send 1080i from an HD box to my TV no problem using component cables.

Quote:

All modern tv's with hdmi ports on back can decode the 5.1 and give you virtual 5.1 in stereo (2 speakers).

Which sounds like poop anyway.
smile.gif

If you want to enjoy 5.1 audio, you should be connecting your HD box to a dedicated HT receiver.

The tvs will always show 1080 as resolution because they do not send digital signal as they are analog. But tv resolution will be 720 on screen. It's just like a 720 tv being pushed a 1080 it will say 1080 on screen but the tv will only display 720. I have been installing directv home systems for 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back