New Comcast wireless 4k box

Purchased a UHD 4k TV on sale recently. To get that to work I have to update my Comcast gear. New modem/router combo with a new 4k cable box. Which is wireless 😳 No coax cable attached! Plugged everything in and it's a weak signal. Seems to be a little glitchy. Ugh.. There's plenty of bandwidth they talked me into a max data package for two years that didn't cost much and has 800gb unlimited or some crazy amount like that. More than I'll ever use . Moving the modem is not an option at this time because of the alarm system and a couple other things that are hard wired ethernet to that spot in a finished basement. Anyways I have a couple questions to try to work around it and I'm wondering if anybody familiar with Comcast can help me.

Why did Comcast switch to wireless for UHD/4k? Is that because a coax cable cannot support 4K?

The new box does have a hardwired ethernet port I'm guessing cat5 on the back of the box. If coax can support 4K can I just do a coax to ethernet converter plug like this?

41wgz4mSuzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Purchased a UHD 4k TV on sale recently. To get that to work I have to update my Comcast gear. New modem/router combo with a new 4k cable box. Which is wireless 😳 No coax cable attached! Plugged everything in and it's a weak signal. Seems to be a little glitchy. Ugh.. There's plenty of bandwidth they talked me into a max data package for two years that didn't cost much and has 800gb unlimited or some crazy amount like that. More than I'll ever use . Moving the modem is not an option at this time because of the alarm system and a couple other things that are hard wired ethernet to that spot in a finished basement. Anyways I have a couple questions to try to work around it and I'm wondering if anybody familiar with Comcast can help me.

Why did Comcast switch to wireless for UHD/4k? Is that because a coax cable cannot support 4K?

The new box does have a hardwired ethernet port I'm guessing cat5 on the back of the box. If coax can support 4K can I just do a coax to ethernet converter plug like this?

View attachment 64568
If you call Comcast they will trouble shoot over the phone. If that doesn't help they will send someone out. Don't understand why you are paying for data you will never use. I assume it's some promotion that will expire in 12 months and then your rates will go through the roof. That's what Comcast is famous for. It also seems that Comcast puts modems in basements-where the wire hubs usually are-but it's still the worst place in house for a modem location. There are wifi extenders you can buy-not sure if they will handle 4K though.

We had two of the wireless cableboxes when we first had the X1 TV and internet service installed last October. The wireless boxes suck unless the wifi signal is excellent...and even than they are buggy. Oh, and the only range extenders you can use with them are the Comcast ones. Was able to replace one with the hardwired box and the other is 8' away from the gateway so it works well. Good luck.

They are starting to use internet instead of coaxial , most likely trying to phase out coaxial tv due to lack of demand.

You may not use a coax to ethernet adapter as it will not carry on the ethernet data.

If your room does not have ethernet, you may rig up that wall coax output to use MoCA .

Let me know if you would like to do this and I may be able to help walk you through

They are starting to use internet instead of coaxial , most likely trying to phase out coaxial tv due to lack of demand.

You may not use a coax to ethernet adapter as it will not carry on the ethernet data.

If your room does not have ethernet, you may rig up that wall coax output to use MoCA .

Let me know if you would like to do this and I may be able to help walk you through
I did this for our basement TV after trying Mesh...which was a joke for us. Than a simple range extender from Amazon...which worked fairly well. But since it was my home theater system with my new 75" 6 series TCL, I wanted solid internet. There was an existing coax jack so Moca works great and the speeds are far in excess of any streaming content.

I did this for our basement TV after trying Mesh...which was a joke for us. Than a simple range extender from Amazon...which worked fairly well. But since it was my home theater system with my new 75" 6 series TCL, I wanted solid internet. There was an existing coax jack so Moca works great and the speeds are far in excess of any streaming content.
yeah coaxial is more than capable of carrying internet at even over 1 gb/s .

Use an Ethernet cable from the TV box to the router. An ordinary cat5e or cat6 cable.

IP on coax (MoCA) was always a stopgap thing that cable companies used since many homes have existing coax between rooms, but not Ethernet. The technology involves active modems at each end of the coax, not passive plug adapters.

Back