Finally getting Comcast out in the sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
It HAS to be better than our Satellite internet and TV, as it is new Fiber cable. So, instead of renting a Modem I need to buy one, and I've seen Motorolas and Arris, among others.
I don't know yet how Comcast eqpt hooks up, whether I need a Router? They do have a list of approved stuff tho.
Now I have Cat 5 cable and a D-Link 5 port splitter in our 1 story wood and brick home going to 2 computers, 3 tv's. One of those is a Smart TV. They have ran Fiber I believe up to the last pole, which is about 30' from the home. We are supposed to get a DVR and one other tv box. Not sure how the 3rd, or 4th (later) tv is going to connect?
Salesman said minimum 250 speed Modem, so we are not getting 1 Gig I guess. I don't want cheap stuff, but will spend for quality. Seems Modems I've had last just a few years. The one from Hughesnet didn't last but 1.3 yrs.

Recommendations? Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Finally got the approved list to load. Forgot that we are getting the phone too. It was $5 month but got me a free install, might drop it later. So, the phone affects which modem also evidently........

Originally Posted by rekit
EDIT:
Finally got the approved list to load. Forgot that we are getting the phone too. It was $5 month but got me a free install, might drop it later. So, the phone affects which modem also evidently........

The phone shouldn't mess with the modem at all.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Wifi eliminates the splitter and wires. Just the modem is wired.

ALWAYS use wiring if available over WiFi it's superior.

When I added voice/phone to the search it brought up different modems??

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Wifi eliminates the splitter and wires. Just the modem is wired.

ALWAYS use wiring if available over WiFi it's superior.

But WiFi is way way way way way easier, especially if you're out in the middle of nowhere and don't have to worry about interference.

Rekit, I use my own modem, an Arris Surfboard SB6141, as well as my own router, an Apple AirPort Extreme. All you have to do to use your own modem is connect it, call Comcast and tell them you wish to activate your own modem, and give them the MAC address.

Be mindful of which modem you buy, my modem supports a maximum speed of 343Mbps. If you're paying for faster speeds, make sure your modem can handle it. I'm paying for 25Mbps, so it's not an issue for me.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
EDIT:

The phone shouldn't mess with the modem at all.

The problem with Comcast is that if you have the phone, you have to get a modem that also supports the phone even if you don't use the phone. They have weird pricing plans, it was cheaper for me to get a plan with the phone, internet and cable than just cable and internet. Only problem was that there was just a couple phone/internet/cable boxes that you can buy. Even though I didn't use the phone, Comcast told me that they wouldn't activate my modem unless it was one that supported the phone function. That was confirmed after I search online about it and several other people mentioned the same thing. That forced me into buying a more expensive modem which was about $180 so. But it saved me $10 a month in rental charges. Had it for over 3 years now so it saved me at least $180, probably more because I think they charge $13 a month now for the rental modem. Plus they use your rental modem for free to offer a wifi hotspot. That's not enabled when you bring your own.

Stay with the "free" modem for now-- they'll start charging you and you can think your options over.

I would turn OFF the wifi from their modem and use your set up for that.

Only ONE device can run the DHCP server-- this is what gives every computer an IP address. I would let the modem do that, and turn off what's in your router.

In short, use their default setup to get running then look at ways to tweak it better.

I'm running a cheapo DOCSIS modem that works fine. When my last one died, I rented one from Spectrum for 3 days while I ordered a replacement. They dutifully charged me 1/10 month rent.
lol.gif
Your modem will have an internal webpage you can access and an external one the cable company can, to diagnose issues. If they don't like their own modem, of course, the tech support is on them.

Yes start with the rental modem then drop the phone service and buy your own. The TP-Link TC7610 or 7620 might be a good choice.

Combo modem/routers suck. Use separate Modem and router if possible (not sure how phone service affects it, but they do sell modem/VOIP only devices also).
Also what package are you getting, the speed will determine how much you need to spend (8x4 channel bonding is good up to 100Mbs service, 16x4 is good for 150, 24x8 is 300 and 32x8/16 is 500 (all are rough estimates)).
The voice option greatly increases the cost of the modem/VOIP device. You can get a good modem only for ~$60, a good Modem/VOIP is $150.
If you are using and paying for their equipment, turn off their router and use your own (or see if they will give you a Modem/VOIP only modem) and then use your own router. Much better options and control with seperate router.

I just got my mom set up with Xfinity, and their offer with the phone was basically the same price as without (triple play had same 140+ channels with cloud DVR, 100/5 internet and phone, double play was 140+ channels with DVR and 100/5). She told me she does not want a home phone, so easy choice (plus she like having a physical DVR).
Modem rental was same price regardless ($15/month).
I bought a SB6141 for $40. It is an older model (only 8x4), but will work fine for her speed plan and needs. She already has a decent wireless n router from her previous place, so using that. I could get a wireless AC router for cheap if I wanted, but again, for her needs, wireless n is fine.

I was a little ticked at Comcast though. I had bought a Linksys CM3008 modem on clearance at Walmart about 6 months ago (it was only $15) to use. But when I went to set up her service, it worked for about 5 minutes, till Comcast sent their updated firmware to it, and it bricked it. Seems to be a common issue with this modem, which I did not know about till it happened.
One of the reasons I went with the SB6141, it is the modem I have been using on Comcast for the past 5 years with no problems at all.

I need to call and see what the deal is with the phone/modem. We haven't had a telephone for years, just our cells, but I thought it might come in handy when she can't find her cell. And then the free install. Probably just gonna double our spam calls lol. Didn't know it was gonna limit my modem choices.
I have cat 5 ran everywhere so I'll try w/o a router? All I know is the install is this thursday.

OK, what do you guys think? These are both approved. Both $200 or so at Best Buy.
Motorola MT 7711
Arris SVG 2482AC

Oh, wait. Those have routers. The list is
Netgear CM1150V-no wifi
" c 7100v-has wifi
Arris SBV 3202-no wifi
SBV 2402-no wifi
SVG 2482AC-has wifi
Motorola MT 7711-has wifi

OK, what do you guys think? These are both approved. Both $200 or so at Best Buy.
Motorola MT 7711
Arris SVG 2482AC

Amazon is slightly cheaper on the 2482AC. Arris seems to be the biggest name and that's what Comcast normally supplies so I just like to stick to name brand. I have an older model that's been fine for the last 3 years. Although mine has the phone, I don't even use it, I don't even have a phone plugged into it. While in theory it's smart to keep them all separate, modem, wifi, things tend to be pretty reliable these days so it's unlikely it will fail soon. Only issue is that the technology gets obsolete after a few years. The AC1750 is a decent speed though so it should last you for a while.

Well, we went with the Arris SVG 2482AC and it is working well. 288DlL speed. Wahoo! What I don't like is the Comcast Remote. Skinny thing with small hard to push buttons, especially the up-down-left-right ones. You almost have to use a fingernail. And no 30 second skip button that I can find yet. And when you push FF it blocks a third of the screen for way tooo long. Might have to look for another, but the voice command works pretty good plus I'll have to buy three. $$$

Like someone above said I would use the leased modem while its free (mine was no charge for I think 1 year) while you figure out what you want to get. Last time I purchased my own modem to save the $10 or whatever the fee is I ended up screwing myself as the modem crapped the bed after ~14 months. Went back to leasing, if it goes bad take it in and get a new one. In 3.5 years I am on my 3rd Xfinity modem - they just crap out for some reason.

Make sure the installer puts a MOCA filter at the first entry point to your home before the splitter, you may not experience issues since it sounds like you live in a remote area but there is no harm in having the MOCA filter even if it is not needed and provides for better security by not allowing your signals to leak out of your house into the Xfinity system. I was having major issues because the installer did not put one in and I am in a dense condo complex, found the junction box and popped the $7 filter in and have not had any issues since. See link below for some info.

MoCA filter article

Oh forgot to mention - if you can get Xfinity Mobile it is so worth it. Have had it for ~1.5 years now and am pleased as punch with it. Runs on the Verizon network, unlimited data plan is $45/month+tax but you can switch back and forth to the by the gig plan ($12/gig) - first 500 MB are free. My phone bill last month was $2.25 for taxes and fees because I was on Xfinity Hotspots most of the month and used less than 500 MB. I can monitor my data and switch back to unlimited if needed - I typically hit the 3 gig mark so I usually run ~$38 monthly bills, if I do unlimited its around $47.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back