Colonial Pipeline stopping all operations due to cyberattack

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the gas station tries not to let the regular tank get more than 75% full, and much less for slow selling premium and diesel.

Carrying a lot of inventory is bad business (though also is installing a larger tank than you need). Another effect is that there is space to accept an over-order.

It looks like the gas station tries not to let the regular tank get more than 75% full, and much less for slow selling premium and diesel.

Carrying a lot of inventory is bad business (though also is installing a larger tank than you need). Another effect is that there is space to accept an over-order.
Depends on what prices are doing. A year ago, having a big inventory as prices fell was a bad thing.

Today, having an big inventory, purchased at the previous day or week price, as prices rise would be good.

Depends on where you think prices are going.

It's still going to be a mess to get back to normal. I wonder how many alternate transportation plans get cut. I know with rail deliveries it's not possible to cancel because someone is responsible for each railcar.
Its not a mess, plenty of fuel, dont believe the hysteria you are reading from the west coast.
The "event" is over, the press will keep it headlined until they run out of interest.
By plenty of fuel I mean, even when a station runs out, it was only because of the high volume of people topping tanks, their regular deliveries still come in and then back in business again. So you see photos of long lines only because those people wanted to top off their tanks, then running the station our of gas until their next delivery.

In less then two weeks, no one will even remember it happened. Hardly a catastrophe. It could of been.
I think it was a good thing to happen, to wake society up about the need for security. Amazing how one pipeline can affect such as HUGE portion of the country. So maybe now we can build some more delivery systems.

Once again, besides the media stories and photos of long lines and out of gas gas stations, there was always a place to buy gas in the southeast once a regular delivery came in. No one stayed home because of the event.

It was weird seeing stations out of gas all over, only because the rush to top off tanks, regular deliveries came in and the pumps started flowing again. Inconvenience for some I guess and could have been worse, but any event could be worse.

They would like to have them 90%, which is the EPA standard (room for expansion), but these stores hold a bit more than what we can haul in one delivery. So one delivery that gets them just 75% will suffice until the next delivery.

On the other side of things, we often have to carry a mixed load...4 compartments of unleaded and 1 compartment of diesel or premium....depending on what the store needs.

Its not a mess, plenty of fuel, dont believe the hysteria you are reading from the west coast.
The "event" is over, the press will keep it headlined until they run out of interest.
By plenty of fuel I mean, even when a station runs out, it was only because of the high volume of people topping tanks, their regular deliveries still come in and then back in business again. So you see photos of long lines only because those people wanted to top off their tanks, then running the station our of gas until their next delivery.

In less then two weeks, no one will even remember it happened. Hardly a catastrophe. It could of been.
I think it was a good thing to happen, to wake society up about the need for security. Amazing how one pipeline can affect such as HUGE portion of the country. So maybe now we can build some more delivery systems.

Once again, besides the media stories and photos of long lines and out of gas gas stations, there was always a place to buy gas in the southeast once a regular delivery came in. No one stayed home because of the event.

It was weird seeing stations out of gas all over, only because the rush to top off tanks, regular deliveries came in and the pumps started flowing again. Inconvenience for some I guess and could have been worse, but any event could be worse.
Ummm, no we are still having supply issues for certain brands. Couldn't get Citgo or Valero branded regular this morning at the terminal this morning. Still a LOT of unbranded stores we can't get product for. You are right in the sense of the commodity being in the storage tanks. The problem lies within the suppliers running out of allocation still. It will be next week before the ripple effect calms down.

Could get some of those much-hated recent cans for storing gasoline in the garage. I have one and I've never noticed a gas smell. [Only storing 5 gallons or so. If I had more I'd store out in a shed somewhere.]
I almost had my house burn down due to those abominations, Those things need to be reported to the EPA.

I almost had my house burn down due to those abominations, Those things need to be reported to the EPA.
I disliked them when they came out, funny thing is, I'm still using the same can 10 years later. I lost the cap that goes over it but other than, it's been fine. Spring loaded, snaps shut when not in use--I used to store my gas outside (under the deck) and it was just fine. I think it helps prevent gas going stale too. I've stopped hating it, as it works just fine for light OPE usage (now if I had to dump 5 gallons at time into a tank I'd hate it).

Anyhow. How'd you almost lose a house to this? It's a plastic can, unless if you crack it or knock it over, it shouldn't leak.

I meant a mess in scheduling or rescheduling all the deliveries. I understood that a lot of the gas stations out of fuel were from hoarding, even in areas that had plenty of fuel at fuel depots.

Ummm, no we are still having supply issues for certain brands. Couldn't get Citgo or Valero branded regular this morning at the terminal this morning. Still a LOT of unbranded stores we can't get product for. You are right in the sense of the commodity being in the storage tanks. The problem lies within the suppliers running out of allocation still. It will be next week before the ripple effect calms down.

So - just because there’s fungible commodity fuel doesn’t account for who has the right to withdraw that fuel from the terminal.

Someone was going over fuel sales in Canada. Said there was a spot price at the terminal and anyone could buy at that price.

It was more than hoarding that led to stations being out of fuel - it was the lack of deliveries.

If you sell a product, and expect a delivery twice a week, and then the deliveries stop for five days, you're going to run out with normal volume, even without hoarding.

It'll take couple of weeks to normalize, now that deliveries have resumed.

So - just because there’s fungible commodity fuel doesn’t account for who has the right to withdraw that fuel from the terminal.

Someone was going over fuel sales in Canada. Said there was a spot price at the terminal and anyone could buy at that price.
Right. There hasn't been shortage on the liquid held in the tanks. The suppliers control how much is allowed to leave.

I meant a mess in scheduling or rescheduling all the deliveries. I understood that a lot of the gas stations out of fuel were from hoarding, even in areas that had plenty of fuel at fuel depots.
That is the media spin. Problem was the lack of deliveries (via pipeline) to the terminal. Gasoline seems to be flowing today. Saw 2 deliveries. Stations which were closed Wednesday morning were open this morning.

If you believe hoarding was the problem then the solution is derogatorily named “gouging”. How could you oppose making hoarders pay more?

Tuesday over 20 miles I observed every “value priced” gas station had lines waiting down the street. Snob-priced stations charging $0.15/gallon higher prices had no wait at the pumps. Doesn’t seem it takes much of a price increase to scare off the “hoarders”.

I dont disagree with you at all.
I guess Ive become so anti news media that I dont explain sometimes.

I was just conveying there is no catastrophe or even close to it. Like you say above, certain brands, certain issues, will take a week or even two to calm down. the whole media hypes this minor inconvenience (this time) into a major event and as I stressed most likely a good thing it happened, so the public understands the need for security, back up systems and heck even more pipelines. What if terrorists hit a series of strategic lines all over the country? We would be on our knees when such a large portion of the country can be affected by only one pipeline.

The level of 84 cbob never has been below the red line during this event.
20210513_105800.jpg

I can see someone owning a small business may want to hoard a bit so their business won't just stop running and still have to pay their employees. Those people should have a plan on how to store them.

I don't see how typical commuters hoard a ridiculous amount. And plastic bag for gas? Come on, what kind of nonsense is this? How do you load them back into a vehicle? Are you going to sell it in a lemonade stand too?

What if terrorists hit a series of strategic lines all over the country? We would be on our knees when such a large portion of the country can be affected by only one pipeline.
Good thing it was only a cyber attack. Can you imagine the chaos if it was a physical attack that destroyed a lot of infrastructure that took months to correct.

Good thing it was only a cyber attack. Can you imagine the chaos if it was a physical attack that destroyed a lot of infrastructure that took months to correct.
I just read that we did pay the ransom or I should say the company paid a ransom not a good thing to encourage others.
But whatever I certainly don’t have all the answers.
Yeah I agree I never knew our system was so dependent I’m such a small net worth of pipelines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back