Collegue's 95 4Runner at 320K

Status
Not open for further replies.
My colleague at work has a 95 4Runner with 320K on the odometer (he got the car when it had 270K from her BIL) and he has everything stock.

Original shocks, motor mounts, engine, tranny, cats, gear fluids, radiator etc. I kept asking him what was changed by either him/BIL. He cannot remember anything other than oil changes.

I found his answer very very difficult to believe.

Any thoughts, were thos Toyotas of those yester years almost indestructible.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I don't know but this video comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWc_flGRT_o

That's a Diesel. And I can think of a few other vehicles that would have readily survived the same "testing".

Ranger, Crown vic come to mind. (except for the water part, gas engines wouldn't survive that probably

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I don't know but this video comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWc_flGRT_o

That's a Diesel. And I can think of a few other vehicles that would have readily survived the same "testing".

Ranger, Crown vic come to mind. (except for the water part, gas engines wouldn't survive that probably

Oh yes they will
grin2.gif

I've pulled in-board woodies off the bottom of the lake with a crankcase full of water. Boat may have been under the entire weekend.

Pump the crankcase, put in some fresh oil, pull the plugs, spin it over a few times. Dry the distributor, put the plugs back in and they'll fire right back up.

The only Toyota I did not replace anything on was a 1993 Tercel.

That was an extremely reliable and trouble free vehicle; however, I only had about 120,000 miles on it.

The 1999 Camry was a huge disappointment where various things were replaced early in its life.

I suspect a vehicle with 320,000 miles has had something replaced even if it was just due to wear.

There are also lots of things that can break on a car and not affect it's ability to move from point A to point B...which, if that's all the driver is concerned about, will not be considered a problem and not fixed.

I am reminded of a friend of one of my friends who drives a Toyota Camry. We were discussing replacing the shocks and struts on my Mustang. He chimed in and said, "I have 150k on my Camry and I've never changed the struts, why would you need to change the struts?"

That said it all right there.

As for me, I like a car that handles well, and if that means I have to replace the struts when they wear out (believe me I can tell), I'll do it.

I had a 94 4runner i bought new and changed the oil ever 3k. I had alot of seals start to go out on the engine at 120k. Then, the tranny started to over heat at low speeds. Radiator went out twice, I took really good care of this car but started to have problems at 120k so I sold it.

I have a 1990 Toyota 4Runner and the first to go bad is the exhaust system. Rusted out due to short trips.

If it has the V6 then the headgasket if not original.

Sounds like our 94 previa. Only issue was the radiator going bad, and a shock going bad (threads on the end somehow busted and wouldnt stay screwed to the axle.

Of course it only has 230k or so, but sounds about right.

But I do think it is a phenomena of their "higher end" offerings. The 89 corolla was a relative piece of junk by 89k. Lots of stuff went bad.

A coworker had a 450k 96 4Runner. Still ran strong but needed some work, and needed an automatic so his wife could drive it, so traded it for a 08 Taco. Had no rust, I was surprised.

Our Shop truck is a 96 Tacoma with a 2.4L. 325K hard miles on it. It's been driven by everyone from me to customers. Hauled all kinds of parts.

Everything except brakes, belts and the seat is original. It's going to need a clutch soon. I change the oil whenever I remember to and it gets whatever is on sale.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy

I found his answer very very difficult to believe.

Why?
Toyotas of that vintage were really built well. My '89 Corolla has 229,000 miles on it and everything is original except for the timing belt, water pump, brake pads, spark plugs and battery. Even the plug wires and distributor cap are original along with the CV boots and all the suspension pieces.

Domestic vehicles have conditioned people to think that a vehicle is worn out at 80,000 to 100,000 miles.

Last edited:
I wonder if the subject vehicle has had a couple of $1000 "tuneups" where it's dropped off, a phone call is made with a laundry list, it's okayed, bill is paid, then forgotten about. Though I suspect bragging.

Having flipped a few beaters, buyers prefer to hear about not replacing anything, even if a sensible buyer would appreciate new wear parts to get them better future service. Said buyers I bet drive until something physically stops them. I give them a song and dance about being real nice but a pain to move car seats in and out all the time.

My buddy pulverized a 97 4Runner. Ater we looked at a bunch of clean ones, he went and bought one at 2x the price, every stupid accessory on inc hitch, wind defelctors, add-on wood dash trim, cheap chrome American Racing wheels w/[censored] tires and inside it smelled like the men's room at the UN.

He barely did OCs, ran it 3q low....it "never needed nutin' ". Well, He blew the HG, after driving it 1/2 full of oil & antifreeze, TC would give a code, suspension shook and was too rusted to take apart.

He got 160k and was thrilled. Saying, "that vehicle served me well".

I told him that 160k wasn't the trick, more like 260k or 360k.

He klunked it barely running and all rusted with the back window falling out.

Great vehicle.
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back