Cold wave in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is happening again. Temperatures are expected to drop to 15s here up north of Houston. I wouldn’t be as worried, but going out of town for a few days tomorrow. Trying to figure out what to do with the water. Cut it off (shut off valve is in the garage) and drain all faucets? My water heater tanks are in the attic, should they be drained as well? I guess I’d need to turn them off as well?

What would be the right sequence here guys? Last two freezes I was around and no issues to speak of. But now since house will be empty, I’m getting super anxious

They were just talking about zero degrees here in Dallas Friday morning on my talk radio show.

Shutting off the water supply is fairly easy I suppose, valve is in the garage. How do I deal with the water tanks? Turn them off first, cut off the water supply in garage, and then open all faucets and let it all drain?

Drip the water.
Open the cabinet underneath all sinks.
Turn on the heater.
It is only for 2 days, at least according to the forecast.

Water heater is still on so it will heat up if the water temp goes below a certain threshold which is still very hot.

Drip the water.
Open the cabinet underneath all sinks.
Turn on the heater.
It is only for 2 days, at least according to the forecast.

Water heater is still on so it will heat up if the water temp goes below a certain threshold which is still very hot.
I won’t be around. If the power is lost, nothing to heat the house up with. That’s the problem and main reason I’m going the drain/water off route. Or at least thinking about it

This is happening again. Temperatures are expected to drop to 15s here up north of Houston. I wouldn’t be as worried, but going out of town for a few days tomorrow. Trying to figure out what to do with the water. Cut it off (shut off valve is in the garage) and drain all faucets? My water heater tanks are in the attic, should they be drained as well? I guess I’d need to turn them off as well?

What would be the right sequence here guys? Last two freezes I was around and no issues to speak of. But now since house will be empty, I’m getting super anxious
Back in the day, the cold air came out of Canada, dropped into the Midwest and then moved east, basically getting Oklahoma and not getting Texas bad. Now the cold just drops south and sinks into Texas, making colder there then it is in Maryland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back