coke or pepsi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Dr Pepper!

I remember as a kid, Dr. Pepper had a much more distinct "bite" to it- more "peppery", shall I say. In my opinion far better than what is produced today. FAR better.

Originally Posted By: Crashbox
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Dr Pepper!

I remember as a kid, Dr. Pepper had a much more distinct "bite" to it- more "peppery", shall I say. In my opinion far better than what is produced today. FAR better.

They love to put cheaper things in it.

Originally Posted By: tropic
Coke in Mexico... real sugar rather than corn syrup makes all the difference.

A cafe near me sells glass bottle Coke from mexico. Its WAY better!

Bet it would be real nice in a jack and Coke!

my dad works at Pepsi and says they are going to cane syrup instead of corn syrup this summer b/c of rising cost of corn syrup and better quality of cane.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
As kids we drank all kinds of cola. Besides Coke and Pepsi, RC and Afri-Cola were popular.

I drank Afri-Cola in East Africa about 30 years ago! Apparently it was something different, as the current one was not available then. This was some sort of cola that was produced in numerous locations throughout the continent.

Today though it is Coke for me. Especially McDonald's Coke, that is my favorite.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
As kids we drank all kinds of cola. Besides Coke and Pepsi, RC and Afri-Cola were popular.
I drank Afri-Cola in East Africa about 30 years ago!

I didn't know they sold Afri-Cola in Africa. The brand's logo was "kind of" questionable. It resembled the WW2 Afrikakorps badge. Maybe Rommel enjoyed a cold Afri-Cola after a panzer battle in the desert.*
smirk2.gif

fmjbd4.jpg

*I'm kidding. Afri-Cola is a post-WW2 era product. The logo still doesn't sit right with me, though.

I didn't know they sold Afri-Cola in Africa.

Well see, I don't think it is the same. It may have been spelled "Africola" or some other variation, but it was close to that nevertheless. And it was most certainly produced in the continent but may have been made under license, I don't know.

I don't think there was a plant in Kenya as everything I saw sold there was Fanta, Coke or Pepsi. It wasn't until I moved inland (Zaire, Central African Republic) that I started seeing this Africola being sold. I seem to recall it being bottled (it was a can though) in Cameroon or a northern, Arab nation.

It was a real treat though since carbonated beverages were very rare outside of major cities.

maybe someone can help me w/ this, regarding HFCS coke vs sugar coke: whenever I am down the soda aisle, I read the labels, and some coke will specify HFCS, like the 2 liter, but the 20oz bottles will say sucrose- is this the famed mexican coke everyone raves about?
btw, I'm trying to stay away from HFCS now (more BITOG influence in my life!) but the HFCS coke, IMO, tasted better than the sucrose one.
In answer to the original Q, I thought I used to prefer coke, but lately I'm leaning towards pepsi, reducing both however. I've taken to drinking more juicy juice at home, or some ovaltine in whole milk.

Originally Posted By: maintenanceMan
my dad works at Pepsi and says they are going to cane syrup instead of corn syrup this summer b/c of rising cost of corn syrup and better quality of cane.

Your dad works for pepsi? Boy, that would be a darn good job. Just think about all the free soda.....
I would love to work there.

There's a coke plant where we live here in Lexington, Tn
(But I still like pepsi better)

Anybody seen the Pepsi Throwback? It's pepsi sweetened with sugar instead of HFCS. Saw it in the grocery store last night in cans and 20 oz bottles. So I got a bottle to try. At first didn't like it, but after I drank the bottle, I really liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back