Coffee - Your Current Brew

I tried Cafe Bustelo based on some earlier posts on this thread. I love it! It's all I drink now.
Tried it, too. Never again. Can't pull a decent espresso shot out of it as it's way too old, and over roasted. Might work fine in a drip machine though.

Still using the same, Lavazza crema e gusto classico

cw111802m_lavazza_creme_e_gusto_classico_gemalen_250gr-1.png

Mix of arabica and robusta beans. If this doesn't wake you up, I think you need to switch to speed... The coffee has a chocolaty taste, especially noticeable when you let it get cold. The grind is pretty red coloured and the coffee isn't pitch black either.

Not the cheapest coffee around, but reasonable and by far my favourite so far. But it's adviseable to take baby steps when you try it, or your heart could jump in your throat..

Well, over 7 years after I started the thread, my routine hasn’t changed much.

Luckily I married a girl who’s as much of a coffee lover as I am!

Our 2 go-to roasts are Eight ‘O Clock Coffee 100% Colombian, and Dunkin Donuts Original.

I like the Colombian in the morning, as it’s a medium roast, and usually prefer the Dunkin Donuts (lighter roast) in the afternoon/evening.

Similar to motor oils, I like coffee beans that are readily available and economical on the shelf at Walmart, and these 2 companies do a great job of getting the beans on the store shelves while they’re still very fresh (of course, whole bean is a must).

My routine is pretty standard: Always grind beans immediately before brewing, and use filtered water. And, of course, we always drink our coffee black.

Method of brewing is either with the BUNN Velocity Brew (if you’re a coffee person, you absolutely need one of these, IMHO), which is just your standard automatic pour-over machine, just a home version of what’s in your office break room, and if theres a machine that makes a better cup of coffee in less time (full pot takes 3 min), im unaware of it, or with our manual pour-over, using the OXO electric kettle, which heats up to 40 fl oz of water to the ideal 205°F in 5 min or less (takes max of 5 min because I use filtered water from our ZeroWater dispenser in the fridge).

We do occasionally splurge on a bag or 2 of fresh-roasted beans that have been roasted VERY recently, from one of several local shops/roasters. We always choose a light (or, medium, at the darkest) roast.

BUNN Velocity Brew:

Bodum 34-oz Pour-Over:

Mr. Coffee Automatic Burr Grinder:

OXO Electric Pour Over Kettle:

You can spend a lot on coffeemakers and grinders and beans. Personally I don’t think it’s necessary unless you just WANT to.

I think the above beans and equipment is sort of the “Mobil 1“ of coffee. Readily available at Walmart, not very expensive, but still very good.

BTW, the BUNN Velocity Brew I bought in 2013 is still going strong!

Anybody else use these beans, or grinder, or coffeemakers?

What do you use?

and if theres a machine that makes a better cup of coffee in less time (full pot takes 3 min), im unaware of it,
Pretty much any espresso machine will make a fantastic cup of coffee in 1 minute or less. :) plus prep time, of course, but even with traditional drip maker there is prep time.

Sadly, I have given up all caffeine, along with a bunch of other foods, in an effort to try to figure out what is driving my constant headaches. It sucks. I miss my daily coffee making ritual.

Pretty much any espresso machine will make a fantastic cup of coffee in 1 minute or less. :) plus prep time, of course, but even with traditional drip maker there is prep time.

Sadly, I have given up all caffeine, along with a bunch of other foods, in an effort to try to figure out what is driving my constant headaches. It sucks. I miss my daily coffee making ritual.
I love espresso too, and Americanos can be good, but almost always prefer brewed coffee.

Just received some Guatemala from a place down my Kansas City called Encore Coffee Company, if your in the area you should pick some up, all his beans are good and fresh.

In my job I had coffee from the hospital break rooms at many hospitals and when in Holland I had the usual Douey Egbert however it is spelled. Any way any kind of coffee is good to me. I really enjoy Farmer Brothers coffee but only get that at some restaurants. My usual brew is Folgers or Hills Brothers.

I like the Colombian in the morning, as it’s a medium roast, and usually prefer the Dunkin Donuts (lighter roast) in the afternoon/evening.
JICYDK, darker roasts typically have less caffeine content than lighter roasts. I always thought it was the opposite until I was was speaking to the owner of a coffee capsule store a few years ago which has now closed. I drink decaf after sunset if I crave coffee.

Just had a capsule of Espresso Italia Cremoso which I picked up at a local bakery last year; not bad.

Last edited:
We have a Bunn at work … bring Community dark roast for that.
At home it’s one or two from the single … drinking a store brand Columbian now and it’s Ok …
I travel with the pour over John (OP) posted and a single cup steamer (ladle) picked up in Cyprus.

Last edited:
Humble Habits Coffee - Ethiopian Whole Bean

This stuff is amazing and their coffee mugs are quite handsome too, I like the purple one the best. Proceeds go to support a good, charitable cause as well so everyone wins 👍

Gevalia House or Columbian is what I drink at home. My office provides 2 flavors of Starbucks for the big coffee pots, one medium, one dark. They both taste a little burnt to me. Our office is going through a complete renovation, so the normal coffee pots are put away and we're using a Keurig in the copy room. I've found a new love. Green Mountain Vermont Country Blend. Smooth, and the roast is just right.

Back