Coffee - Your Current Brew

Regular Brazil Cerrado - I hope this is a good batch. I bought 3 bags. It was SOOOOO GOOD last time.
VERY GOOD BATCH. Great HOT OR COLD BREWED. Very low acid, sweet and a little oil. Nice flavors, NOT BROASTED TO DEATH.

VERY GOOD BATCH. Great HOT OR COLD BREWED. Very low acid, sweet and a little oil. Nice flavors, NOT BROASTED TO DEATH.

Interesting. I see that they are local as well. (Sultan WA).

During this hot spell I have been drinking coffee but I don’t reheat it after the first cup. Drinking it cold exposes flavors you might miss with a hot cup, especially on the lighter roasts.

The Red Bird arrived today so I brewed a single cup of the Sumatra. Very nice. Roasted on June 29th.

I’ll try a full pot tomorrow. I already noticed that the flavors of this coffee really come out once the cup cools about 5-10 minutes.

My first order from Red Bird will be here today, since I'm not an evening coffee drinker it will have to wait till morning.

What I ordered:
Costa Rica La Magnolia
Guatemala Huehuetenango Catuai Caturra
Brazil Sweet Blue
I've had time to have several cups of each and also wanted to make sure they had plenty of time to rest.

If you've never had coffee from Costa Rica this is a really good example. It is a lighter clean crisp cup but has more of a sweet after taste than a typical Central American bean, I like it in the afternoon, it's not so heavy.

Beans from Guatemala are some of my favorite especially from the Huehuetenango region, they have a nutty smell with a sweet dark chocolate after taste.

I've never ordered beans from Brazil that weren't outstanding including these. @Quattro Pete said his last order wasn't as good as it was in the past and all I can say is I wish I had tried them back them. This also has a nutty chocolate taste but not as sweet as the hue hue.

I ordered a lot of beans from more roasters than I can remember but this Red Bird place is top notch. All the beans are roasted evenly and right at a medium roast except the Costa Rica which they call a Rich Medium and does appear to be slightly darker than the other two.

My next quest I'm going to try an African or Indonesian from Red Bird. I've had a couple in the past from other roasters but the description of these coffees has always kept me from ordering, tobacco, earthy, herbal, floral.....just doesn't seem like a coffee I would like.

This won't be my last order from Red Bird, these guys know what they're doing.

Thanks for the update.

How do you make your coffee: drip coffee maker, espresso machine, other?
I have a Cup One Moccamaster that makes one 10oz cup. I have an older Virtuoso grinder and I always weigh and grind right before brewing.

I also use a Clever brewer and a Chemex on the weekends. I like the Clever because I like the flavor of immersion brewing but don't like a French Press, just to gritty for me.

I've had time to have several cups of each and also wanted to make sure they had plenty of time to rest.

If you've never had coffee from Costa Rica this is a really good example. It is a lighter clean crisp cup but has more of a sweet after taste than a typical Central American bean, I like it in the afternoon, it's not so heavy.

Beans from Guatemala are some of my favorite especially from the Huehuetenango region, they have a nutty smell with a sweet dark chocolate after taste.

I've never ordered beans from Brazil that weren't outstanding including these. @Quattro Pete said his last order wasn't as good as it was in the past and all I can say is I wish I had tried them back them. This also has a nutty chocolate taste but not as sweet as the hue hue.

I ordered a lot of beans from more roasters than I can remember but this Red Bird place is top notch. All the beans are roasted evenly and right at a medium roast except the Costa Rica which they call a Rich Medium and does appear to be slightly darker than the other two.

My next quest I'm going to try an African or Indonesian from Red Bird. I've had a couple in the past from other roasters but the description of these coffees has always kept me from ordering, tobacco, earthy, herbal, floral.....just doesn't seem like a coffee I would like.

This won't be my last order from Red Bird, these guys know what they're doing.

Thanks for the detailed description.

I brewed up a full pot of the Sumatra this morning. It was really nice.

Their rich medium roast is almost a dark roast for some others. The oils are just coming out from the beans. I noticed the Blackbird Blend which they describe as a dark roast is a much more oily bean. I think that is their only dark roast.

My brewing method is the Tetsuya 4:6 done with a Kalita Wave 185 dripper. I use 44gms of coffee ground coarse to 660ml water.

I am going to try the Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Aricha tomorrow. That is a lighter roast.

So far I am very impressed. This is excellent coffee and my receipt had a hand written thank you on it for a nice personal touch. I am sure I will order from them again.

On to the Ethiopia. I brewed it in the same fashion as the Sumatra above. A very fruity aroma and flavor. If you like lighter roasts this might be one to try.

I am still learning about pour over techniques so using the same brewing procedure may not have given me the best results. Personal tastes also play a big part here.

Between the two, the Sumatra is my personal favorite so far.

We started drinking French Market coffee after visiting New Orleans. Great for the price IMO. I start the weekend mornings with an Americano. Black Rifle is kind of a weak espresso though.

Attachments

• B145CD78-5199-4F53-8CBD-38496E48A71D.jpeg
    B145CD78-5199-4F53-8CBD-38496E48A71D.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 14
This morning I brewed up the Red Bird Blackbird Blend. I used the same procedure as with the previous brews.

This is a dark roast. Oily beans that come from 3-4 origins according to Red Bird. The taste is smooth and full bodied. Tobacco and a slight fruitiness are apparent. If you prefer a dark roast then this is the coffee you want. Strong but not burnt tasting nor muddy.

Reactions: 4WD
On to the Ethiopia. I brewed it in the same fashion as the Sumatra above. A very fruity aroma and flavor. If you like lighter roasts this might be one to try.

I am still learning about pour over techniques so using the same brewing procedure may not have given me the best results. Personal tastes also play a big part here.

Between the two, the Sumatra is my personal favorite so far.
Sorry if I missed it somewhere but are you weighing everything including your water? Are you timing the whole process? It's certainly not something you have to do but it helps to get a consistent cup.

I learned a lot years ago when I started using a Chemex. The amount of time the water spends in the coffee makes a big difference. If it's passing thru to fast you get a weak cup, to long and it can be bitter. You can control the time by the grind, to coarse and it passes thru to fast, to fine and it slows it down.

Just as an example using my Cup One brewer that makes a 10oz cup. When you start it it takes about 2:30 seconds for the water to come out before it stops, then another 1:30 for it to stop dripping, 4 minutes total.

Sorry if I missed it somewhere but are you weighing everything including your water? Are you timing the whole process? It's certainly not something you have to do but it helps to get a consistent cup.

I learned a lot years ago when I started using a Chemex. The amount of time the water spends in the coffee makes a big difference. If it's passing thru to fast you get a weak cup, to long and it can be bitter. You can control the time by the grind, to coarse and it passes thru to fast, to fine and it slows it down.

Just as an example using my Cup One brewer that makes a 10oz cup. When you start it it takes about 2:30 seconds for the water to come out before it stops, then another 1:30 for it to stop dripping, 4 minutes total.

I use a Hario digital scale to weigh everything. My weak point is my grinder. It is just a cheap Krups blade grinder. I know I lose some consistency there but I shake and grind for six seconds to get a kosher salt like grind on the beans.

Regarding the timing, I’m brewing a large batch at 660ml. Using the 4:6 method I pour the bloom with 130ml of water over the 44gm of coffee. I let that stop dripping. The next pour goes to 270 and again I let it stop dripping.

After that I run three pours to get to 660ml. Granted I have a lot to learn as this method can be adapted depending on the coffee. That is part of the fun of brewing coffee like this.

I use a Hario digital scale to weigh everything. My weak point is my grinder. It is just a cheap Krups blade grinder. I know I lose some consistency there but I shake and grind for six seconds to get a kosher salt like grind on the beans.

Regarding the timing, I’m brewing a large batch at 660ml. Using the 4:6 method I pour the bloom with 130ml of water over the 44gm of coffee. I let that stop dripping. The next pour goes to 270 and again I let it stop dripping.

After that I run three pours to get to 660ml. Granted I have a lot to learn as this method can be adapted depending on the coffee. That is part of the fun of brewing coffee like this.

Oh man I forgot all about shaking my blade grinder but it really does make a difference. My mom is responsible for me going thru this morning ritual when she gave me an old spice mill back in the early 90's. I used that grinder for around 10 years then bought a Mr Coffee blade grinder then my burr grinder in 2011 so no stranger to a blade grinder.

Thanks for the link, very interesting read and you are obviously drinking some very good coffee. The only thing you need is a better grinder, if I was buying one today it would be the Baratza Encore. These are lifetime machines, parts and videos are easy to come by thru them.

4C849724-FA9A-4CEE-AE0A-5E57E773DDA5.jpeg

These two currently. Folgers is my go to. Other brands are ok but these keep me awake the longest since I’m not a morning person LOL. I believe my mom said she puts 6 scoops in the maker everyday for me and dad to take to work (she doesn’t drink coffee or tea). The Country Roast is extremely good I love it. It’s only available at one place around here though and it’s about 50 miles away so I pick up some when I can. We got the big can of the regular at Sam’s Club. The good thing about coffee that comes in cans is the cans are reusable for different things like nuts and bolts or whatever you can fit in there.

IMG_20210716_065557914_HDR_resize.jpg

IMG_20210716_065606744_HDR_resize.jpg

Today is Sunday so a ground Starbucks PIKE PLACE Roast.
It easy, its lazy in other words I don't have to prep or think about it just add water, filter coffee and press GO. 5 minutes later I can have my coffee and see what's going on here on the forum today! No big clean up mess for me on the weekend. :geek:

Last edited:
View attachment 63923

View attachment 63924

Today is Sunday so a ground Starbucks PIKE PLACE Roast.
It easy, its lazy in other words I don't have to prep or think about it just add water, filter coffee and press GO. 5 minutes later I can have my coffee and see what's going on here on the forum today! No big clean up mess for me on the weekend. :geek:
John: I’m having convulsions now 🤣🤣

coffee nut I is 😳😊👍

A friend of mine brought me some dark roast coffee from Honduras called Cafe Don Chago. Its really smooth and sweet.

Back