Coffee "Black" is With Sugar or Without Sugar?

Black means sugar free any time I’ve dealt with it. Some Starbucks verify if no sweetener, but I don’t go there much.

I like the terms “sweet” and “light and sweet” though I get neither.

Ok, at Timmies, here’s how it works:

- black - means black

Then there is:

- one sugar
- one milk
- Regular - means one sugar and one milk
- Double Double - two sugar and two milk.

You can also mention dark roast, then the above. If you don’t say dark roast you’ll get their regular roast, so don’t bother saying regular roast.

Say the container size first as in large black dark roast. ;)

So. One large dark roast with one sugar. Please. Don’t forget the please. :D

I was standing outside the Port Authority Bus Terminal one day between bus trips. Bitter cold. As I ordered a coffee from a sidewalk cart I spied a homeless guy sitting on the sidewalk, looked like he hadn’t eaten in who knows. I said, what the heck, and ordered two regulars (milk and one sugar). As I passed him by I handed him his coffee and he accepted it gratefully with shaking hands, he popped the lid, took a deep sip and then handed it back to me. “Thanks, he said, but I don’t take sugar.” Only in New York baby.

- black - means black

Then there is:

- one sugar
- one milk

You can also mention dark roast, then the above. If you don’t say dark roast you’ll get their regular roast, so don’t bother saying regular roast.

This.

We go to Canada now (again) about every two weeks. Best India buffet in 100+ miles.

Anyway.

I ordered a "regular coffee". I mean just a cup of coffee at Tim Horton's. Those canookian buggers added cream and sugar. WT fruit??

Hahahaa once. It's OK I drank it.

I stopped with ALL coffee sweeteners a couple days ago. Not a problem.

My custom de-caf blend, I do add half-half and organic pure cocoa powder. It's not sweet, but tasty and nutritious.

This.

We go to Canada now (again) about every two weeks. Best India buffet in 100+ miles.

Anyway.

I ordered a "regular coffee". I mean just a cup of coffee at Tim Horton's. Those canookian buggers added cream and sugar. WT fruit??

True story. My cousin opened a TH in Jamestown, NY almost 25 years ago, and they had to not only "train" their staff, but also their customers, on how to order their coffee to avoid disappointment. He sold it after only a few short years and returned to Canada.

Wow! the force is strong on black coffee here. It seems the "majority" here says black coffee means nothing added, no creamer & no sugar. I knew you all would get down to "Bottom" of this. I've sent the link to this thread to the wife & she said "It is very interesting what they said". I think she accepts black coffee as black coffee now. There was no issue before just that we really didn't know if it was with or without sugar.

I saw a few other members suggest "sugar doesn't change the color" & another member said "Black coffee with sugar is exactly that". So it would sound like coffee with sugar "Could" be stated as black coffee too but it must be stated "With Sugar" to distinguish the differences between 2 types of black coffee's.

Example:
"Black Coffee" "Black Coffee w/Sugar" Sugar"
This is all great information. I'm sure we all agree you just can't beat a good, clean cup of coffee.

I'll tell you how I'm drinking my morning joe this morning :

Mixed in the blender
1 scoop of French Vanilla Protein Powder (Vegan)
1 Scoop of Chocalate Protien Powder (Vegan)
1 TBS. of Ground Flax Seed
2 Scoops of Peanut Butter Powder (Low Fat)
8 Cups of Tim Horton Decaf

- black - means black

Then there is:

- one sugar
- one milk

No long black?

Wow! the force is strong on black coffee here. It seems the "majority" here says black coffee means nothing added, no creamer & no sugar. I knew you all would get down to "Bottom" of this. I've sent the link to this thread to the wife & she said "It is very interesting what they said". I think she accepts black coffee as black coffee now. There was no issue before just that we really didn't know if it was with or without sugar.

I saw a few other members suggest "sugar doesn't change the color" & another member said "Black coffee with sugar is exactly that". So it would sound like coffee with sugar "Could" be stated as black coffee too but it must be stated "With Sugar" to distinguish the differences between 2 types of black coffee's.

Example:
"Black Coffee" "Black Coffee w/Sugar" Sugar"
This is all great information. I'm sure we all agree you just can't beat a good, clean cup of coffee.

I'll tell you how I'm drinking my morning joe this morning :

Mixed in the blender
1 scoop of French Vanilla Protein Powder (Vegan)
1 Scoop of Chocalate Protien Powder (Vegan)
1 TBS. of Ground Flax Seed
2 Scoops of Peanut Butter Powder (Low Fat)
8 Cups of Tim Horton Decaf

That’s not coffee

I believe black coffee is without sugar and you can add your own sugar to your tastes. You have to monitor the amount of sugar in your coffee instead of trusting a waitress to put in the correct amount. I like my coffee black however I do like the vanilla flavored coffee and that is what we usually buy. Cinnamon, hazelnut, carmel, vanilla, and amaretto flavored coffees are my favorites. The flavoring is actually in the coffee and not something you add out of a carton or bottle.

I think McDonald’s probably sells more brewed drip coffee than anyone else in the US, and their default these days is to add sugar or half and half from a bulk dispenser. I distinctly remember paper sugar packets and peel back half and half, along with those plastic stirrers with a rectangular paddle at the end and shaped like the Golden Arches at the end of the handle. I think customers can still ask for those.

We like our coffee with whole milk added....and much to our relief, scientists have shown baby cows actually using cow's milk in coffee well into adulthood.

Whipping cream, half n' half and every creamer product I've ever tried left a foreign coating on my tongue.

There was some short lived sitcom about a newsroom where one character (played by Al Franken) went into detail with an intern getting him coffee as to why whole milk was just right for him.

I went to one place where they literally skimmed off the cream from non-homogenized cream top milk for those who wanted it in their coffee. It was wildly inconsistent and eventually they just used half and half. The milk was supposedly used for anything where skim milk was requested, but again, wildly inconsistent.

This.

Anyway.

In New York City - a "regular" is one cream, one sugar. You want it black, say black.

Don't forget the "please" - it is sure to confuse those city folks...

;)

In New York City - a "regular" is one cream, one sugar. You want it black, say black.

Don't forget the "please" - it is sure to confuse those city folks...

;)
Interesting.

Here if you don't used at least 4 words than end in "o", 3 that end in "e", a couple that end in "a" and one or two that end in "i", there will be no precision.

So here regular Americano- means an espresso with just water, ie black

Regular is regular, black coffee brewed. Not sure how regular could mean cream and sugar added in quantities at the vagary of the barista.

Back