Coffee "Black" is With Sugar or Without Sugar?

You've heard the term before. "I drink my coffee black" but what does the majority say on whether or not that includes sweetener or no sweetener (sugar & substitutes)?

Generally we already assume black coffee means no creamers or milks. My wife is asking this question & perhaps I can get some consensus here on BITOG.

Thanks for your participation!

I believe black coffee is without sugar and you can add your own sugar to your tastes. You have to monitor the amount of sugar in your coffee instead of trusting a waitress to put in the correct amount. I like my coffee black however I do like the vanilla flavored coffee and that is what we usually buy. Cinnamon, hazelnut, carmel, vanilla, and amaretto flavored coffees are my favorites. The flavoring is actually in the coffee and not something you add out of a carton or bottle.

The "black" in black coffee does not refer to the color, but rather to the dark pit of despair it embodies. Not sweetness can exist within that eternal shade. I consume it just to prove to the universe I have no fear of it and to scream into the void........I also like tea.

I started drinking coffee at age 13 back when I washed dishes at Sambo’s restaurant. Been hooked on the crap ever since. I use Stevia with a little bit of nonfat milk. ☕

Last edited:
I've yet to see a rule book that defines such things . Too ME , black means no cream , milk , etc. Sugar does not affect color so it's irrelevant . :cool:

The "black" in black coffee does not refer to the color, but rather to the dark pit of despair it embodies. Not sweetness can exist within that eternal shade. I consume it just to prove to the universe I have no fear of it and to scream into the void........I also like tea.
I think there was a study that clinically diagnosed/diagnosable psychopaths drank coffee black. I tend to disagree.

Back