Coffee "Black" is With Sugar or Without Sugar?

This morning I'm trying out some vanilla flavored coconut milk creamer with a splash of honey. You black coffee guys would gasp.

Blonde, ;)
images

To me:
Black means nothing added. While logically incomplete -because black coffee can have sugar in it- I believe 'black' is accepted, streamlined diner speak.

Black with sugar means what it says.

I worked with a guy who'd say, "True black". That meant nothing added.

We like our coffee with whole milk added....and much to our relief, scientists have shown baby cows actually using cow's milk in coffee well into adulthood.

Whipping cream, half n' half and every creamer product I've ever tried left a foreign coating on my tongue.

I had the most extreme 'flavored coffee' experience a while back. In brief, I saw flavored coffee ruin a "well monied" breakfast party.
People actually swore at the hostess and stormed out of her house. It was bad......hadn't thought of that one in a while.

"Redneck" drink in my country is black coffee with vodka in it. Quite good actually :sneaky:

Bourbon is much better, but I rarely want that in my morning wake up. I drink it black. I can tolerate some creamer but not a fan and absolutely hate sugar in coffee, although I use it in tea which may be weird...

What color is coffee with sugar added ? 🤪

I do interpret black coffee as nothing added though, but the term or name is stupid....

Bourbon is much better, but I rarely want that in my morning wake up. I drink it black. I can tolerate some creamer but not a fan and absolutely hate sugar in coffee, although I use it in tea which may be weird...
The only creamer I put in coffee is Bailey's Irish Cream or equivalent.

Years ago at a wedding, with an open bar, I got a shot of bailey's for my coffee.... the people around me thought I was nuts... then they tried it and ended up liking it.

And yet people are regularly 10 deep in a drive-thru, waiting to pay $6 a cup for the pleasure of 'burnt'

Not for me.
It must be an acquired taste. I wonder if burnt coffee is so popular now, how bad was the average coffee before [insert unnamed chain] became so popular? It was before my time so I'm not asking in jest.

In some places you have to be very specific about which coffee you want.

If you get the chance, try one of these black. It’s a real eye opener. Two cups will wire me up for most of the day.

It must be an acquired taste. I wonder if burnt coffee is so popular now, how bad was the average coffee before [insert unnamed chain] became so popular? It was before my time so I'm not asking in jest.
Its not technically burnt but over roasted. Now yes you can burn them but large chains aren't actually burning the beans. Large chains over roast the beans so they can get the same profile flavor batch after batch, and the beans last longer as they give off less CO2. This helps that no matter what state or store, the coffee should taste the same (or close to it). They make up for the over roasted coffee by luring people in with a ton of add-ons like syrups.

Referring to the original post, when someone says they drink coffee "black", my impression is no sugar. Having served many a cup of coffee as a fast food worker (waaay back when), what you put in it after I give it to you is your preference, however.

If I ask for a black coffee, the server should not put anything in it.

No coffee shop would add anything to a black coffee order.
Bingo. My wife owes a a couple of local coffee shops and roasts our own beans for all the locations. She’s recognized as one of the area experts by many in the industry.

Black coffee in coffee world and lingo is plain coffee with nothing added.

Back