Cockatiels: anyone have one or more as pets?

These are the lovely girlfriends cockatiels. Pied and other is white face.

Attachments

• 738E9363-164B-4AAA-9C4F-94AD7C401506.jpeg
    738E9363-164B-4AAA-9C4F-94AD7C401506.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 35
Pet stores use to sell cassette tapes of someone saying the word "Hello" over and over again. It was an exact repeat for several minutes, and then someone saying it with a different inflection in there voice repeated over and over again. Playing it once a day for a couple of weeks did teach birds to say it. After they learn one word, others words are easier to teach them.

My mom used to have birds think they were Parakeets or something like that they were annoying as heck anything you say they would say 🤣.

In 1989 I went with my dad to a cockatiel breeder. He picked one out and took it home. My mom and dad fell in love with that bird. Fast forward to today, both of my parents away passed back in 2015 within weeks of each other. My sister inherited their chihuahua and I inherited their cockatiel. The bird is still alive and kicking at almost 32 years of age and has shown no signs of leaving us anytime soon.

Between my me, my wife and my kids about a dozen of them. A couple of them joined us from the wild. Apparent escapees that decided that eating regularly was preferable to flying free.
It's amazing the different personalities each of them have.

My parents had one while I was growing up. In college my to-be wife gave me one, then she inherited one. Nice birds. Low maintenance, affectionate. Have to be careful as they are very good fliers and might be able to fly even with clipped wings. None of ours lived long, about 15 years? about that, but I think all were from "unknown" breeding lines.

I lost mine a couple of years ago. He was 28 years old. They are very sweet animals.

Back