Coated rotor experience with their finish lasting

Looking at various coated rotors. Mainly the geomet silver type of coating, as I’ve experienced it seem to last quite long on my customers cars (but this was mopar oe stuff).

any experience with how aftermarket coated rotors hold up? Specifically;

power stop smooth rotors (geospec)
R1 concepts smooth rotors
EBC RK smooth rotors (black)
Centric

ideally even if I buy one of the silver geospec rotors, I’d paint them black as I think even the silver geospec finish wears off in a couple years. Bonus that the EBC rotors are already black…but will it really hold up? Hard to tell. And I’m pretty sure I put centric on my sienna. They work fine but definitely aren’t black anymore (the hat area). It’s not like they’re falling apart, just cosmetically ugly.

I had painted my race car’s brembo blank rotors black and it held up perfectly in situations that it shouldn’t (I had time on my hands then, so it was washed weekly, and raced at the drag strip weekly as well, giving me a hard time braking it) but the black paint lasted.

I got some Centrics for my Accent. It's used in the winter in Illinois. After two years the vanes on the rotor were rusty but the hat had just a bit of rust.

Powerstop Geomet coated rotors have held up for almost 2 years with minimal rust. This includes 2 winters.

Centric Premium E-coating lasts about a year before developing serious rust. Wagner's E-coated rotors last a little longer.

All of the above will come off smoothly when it's time to replace them. You will not need a hammer to bang them loose since they will not freeze to the hub or to the wheel.

I have been using Wagner E-coated for a few years, but not really long enough to provide a opinion.

I expect the coated rotors to be better in the rust belt but not looking for miracles.

Did my 2011 brakes in February 2020 with powerstop. So far the coating is holding up great though 1.5 salt belt winters. The truck only sees about 8k miles per year though.

Did my 2011 brakes in February 2020 with powerstop. So far the coating is holding up great though 1.5 salt belt winters. The truck only sees about 8k miles per year though.

power stop and r1 brakes, both geomet coated, are looking like good options now. I was pretty set on EBC coated rotors but nobody has inventory right now and no clue when they’ll be back in stock. Thanks for the feedback!

I've used and currently using element 3 and geomet coated. Powerstops held up well on a family's Caliber also.
In the salt zone they hold up well. Expect rust on the outer edges over time. Hat will stay better but will get some light rust eventually.
If it's black it's painted not coated and will not even make one winter.

So given the lack of parts available right now, the only matching sets I’m able to find is

powerstop geomet with z17 ceramic pads
R1 concepts geomet with ceramic pads

similar setups, plain geomet coated rotors and ceramic pads.

any comparison? Or opinion. Quality, customer service experience, anything? Thanks!

So given the lack of parts available right now, the only matching sets I’m able to find is

powerstop geomet with z17 ceramic pads
R1 concepts geomet with ceramic pads

similar setups, plain geomet coated rotors and ceramic pads.

any comparison? Or opinion. Quality, customer service experience, anything? Thanks!

What kind of car is it? :unsure:

Back