Coated Brake Rotors

I have to replace Rotors and Brake Pads and the new Rotors are Coated black and are wondering how well the black finish holds up . I was thinking of spraying on some CRC Corrosion Inhibitor for added protection . Is this necessary ?

If by coated you mean the entire rotor is the same finish like,

bosch_quietcast_premium_disc_rotor_440px.jpg

they give minimal protection and will start rusting in 6-12 months. Better are the painted rotors like,

11401852_qpr_yh145405p_pri_larg.jpg

the will stay nice looking for a few years depending on the environment. Price is generally a good indicator and you get what you pay for.

If by coated you mean the entire rotor is the same finish like,

bosch_quietcast_premium_disc_rotor_440px.jpg

they give minimal protection and will start rusting in 6-12 months. Better are the painted rotors like,

11401852_qpr_yh145405p_pri_larg.jpg

the will stay nice looking for a few years depending on the environment. Price is generally a good indicator and you get what you pay for.

They are Wagner Rotors with E-Shield Black Coating

The coating will look new for about a year, but even after that, they will still provide enough protection that they will slide off with no problem when it is time to replace them. You won't have to use a hammer to get them off :D

Spraying it with paint is not necessary and will not provide any benefit, either.

I buy the cheap ones and use a little Fluid Film between the hub and rotor but I don't live in the salt-bath zone. The underneath of our cars looks great after a decade, unlike when I used to live in the Chicago area.

I have used both types and not really impressed with either. The painted was better IMO. Better than no coating but ...... Central Texas so no salt . Sighs.

In a real road salt area, then painted are a joke. I've had best results with E coated like Raybestos or Powerstops. They don't eliminate rust but slow it down a lot.

Those are not E-coated rotors. Powerstop uses a Geomet coating, and Raybestos uses something similar.

E-coating is the black electrostatic finish and is used on Centric and Wagner E-coated rotors. The OP has Wagner coated rotors.

Those are not E-coated rotors. Powerstop uses a Geomet coating, and Raybestos uses something similar.

E-coating is the black electrostatic finish and is used on Centric and Wagner E-coated rotors. The OP has Wagner coated rotors.
I stand corrected. I thought the E was like Geomet or Element 3. Those type of coatings are the only ones to use IMO.

The real need is for the anti-corrosion coating on the vanes inside the cooling channels so they don't get blocked with rust over the years. Gott'a keep the cooling channels clear and keep the air flowing.

Now that Raybestos, Stop Tech, Centric, and other brake brands are owned by First Brands Group (private equity outfit? Also owns Trico & Anco wipers, Champion Labs filters) with most parts made in China, is the quality staying up where it used to be? Power Stop also uses Chinese parts...still good?

The real need is for the anti-corrosion coating on the vanes inside the cooling channels so they don't get blocked with rust over the years. Gott'a keep the cooling channels clear and keep the air flowing.

The real need for the coating is so that they don't freeze to the hub so you can actually get them off when they're worn :D

Now that Raybestos, Stop Tech, Centric, and other brake brands are owned by First Brands Group (private equity outfit? Also owns Trico & Anco wipers, Champion Labs filters) with most parts made in China, is the quality staying up where it used to be? Power Stop also uses Chinese parts...still good?

Brake rotors are less difficult to manufacture than some other parts, and almost all of them are Chinese, and many OE rotors are now made in China, too. Rotors were one of the first auto parts to go to China.

I stand corrected. I thought the E was like Geomet or Element 3. Those type of coatings are the only ones to use IMO.

Agreed. Geomet is the best coating so far.

I went with centric either coated or painted rotors for my accord, can’t remember.

For her Altima, Raybestos element 3. The Louisiana and now Massachusetts weather had taken a toll on them

Attachments

• 70533263195__99B6CF0A-3F6E-4188-99B9-E4765F624C0E.jpeg
    70533263195__99B6CF0A-3F6E-4188-99B9-E4765F624C0E.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4258.jpeg
    IMG_4258.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4270.jpeg
    IMG_4270.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 53
Back