CO2 levels in the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in a number of the members here who don't see that 4,000ppm for a laden car after hours of driving as an issue.

Can they provide evidence that 4,000ppm has zero effect, or is beneficial ???

When the solution (introducing extra ambient air) is virtually free (bar 0.000000000001 MPG economy, and their standards of course).

I personally like the fact you can seal off all outside air. And I usually do in the summer. Winter is almost always on fresh air. It's the humidity that drives my choice. As I stated before rural living has smelly consequences as the ambient temperature rises.

I would only think elevated levels of CO2 will happen with a car full of people. And if you did have a car full of people the humidity and odors alone would cause one to introduce fresh air before the CO2 would become dangerous.

SHOZ,
pretty much in agreement...I can't with my family drive more than 3 hours before someone needs a pee break...breaking the cycle. When we had multiple sites located half a day's travel apart, it was common for 4 or 5 of us to get in a car and "get it done" by driving 5 hours straight, A/C on maximum cool.

Doesn't mean that the issue is non existent.

The latter of my two examples needs to be considered by employers in their transport policies.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I'm interested in a number of the members here who don't see that 4,000ppm for a laden car after hours of driving as an issue.
Can they provide evidence that 4,000ppm has zero effect, or is beneficial ???

Obviously many medical people's threshold of "Drowsy" is at 10,000 PPM CO2. Again, read the chart I posted above. Your 4,000 ppm (or a little more) is kind of a "Half-Drowsy", still bad, but maybe not quite yet dangerous. Certainly uncomfortable, which is a human factors issue too.

As I have said at 4000 ppm I want some fresh air. In my house with the open blue flame heater, if it is very cold and NOT windy the levels get that high. The CO2 meter I have has an adjustable alarm setting. I have rigged this alarm, a 5v 2 per second beep on a piezo speaker, to trigger a timer relay. This relay kicks on my furnace fan for about 5 minutes. When my furnace fan is on it will draw in outside air and reduce the CO2.

1500 ppm is no big deal, 4000 ppm is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back