CO2 and old cars

I'm a little confused by the article--might be too early, too little coffee.

A barely-driven classic car emits very little CO2, ok.
A brand new car emits a huge amount due to assembly, ok.

So if we all just buy classic cars and don't drive them--then we don't need new cars?

Seems like the article is aiming at that we don't need to get rid of classic cars--they should be allowed to exist, as they're not doing anything just sitting there. But it seems to be thinking that for every classic that gets crushed, a new car would have to be made. Which I don't think is true, that new car was going to get made either way. We just don't need to get rid of cars that aren't being used (much).

"The fully electric Polestar 2, for example, is said to create 26 tonnes of CO2 during its production process alone – an emissions figure that would take a typical classic car 46 years to match".

Does this include the CO2 it created when it was manufactured or just driving it for 46 years? I realize we put out more CO2 now but that's just the fact there are more things being manufactured now vs then because of population growth.

If you take an automotive plant from say 1960 and one from today and build 1000 cars which one would put out more C02?

"The fully electric Polestar 2, for example, is said to create 26 tonnes of CO2 during its production process alone – an emissions figure that would take a typical classic car 46 years to match".

Does this include the CO2 it created when it was manufactured or just driving it for 46 years? I realize we put out more CO2 now but that's just the fact there are more things being manufactured now vs then because of population growth.

If you take an automotive plant from say 1960 and one from today and build 1000 cars which one would put out more C02?

The classic car was already built so replacing it with a polestar sets you back another 46 years in carbon footprint. And disposing of the classic releases more carbon.

So better stick with the car you have for as long as it lasts is the advice.

producing old cars is zero co2 ?:D
apples to oranges.
clickbait article, there si only one option to be zero co2 footprint- to live like caveman...
No, you guys are missing the point by a country mile. There is a movement in some countries to ban old cars and convince people to buy an EV.
Eg one absolute climate fruitcake ruined a perfectly good Jag XKE convertible by converting it to EV which drives only a few times a year to save the planet.
Building a new EV produces more CO2 than a old classic produces in 46 years at 1200 miles a year. The old car is already here it does not need to be produced, the CO2 created from building it has already been absorbed by trees over many years so why tax it out of existence now.

I see Jetronic got it.

There is a movement in some countries to ban old cars and convince people to buy an EV.
imho, rare non global thing.
old cars will be sorted by rusting and expensive fuels.
people will cry, if fuel will be just twice $ of today. it might be affordable to jump (expensive ev) ship.

Speaking of gasses, if you have an older car it's probably best to cave a CO detector inside it.

Helping my buddy revive a 65 Chevy, I’ll tell you straight up, what little romance I had for the classics has further been wrecked. 15 minutes with that thing and I smell rotten. and the exhaust stink hangs around a long time. We forget how much those things send out the tailpipe, even ones well-tuned. For some reason, I still have fondness for the smell of diesel at sunrise. But unleaded, no.

Apples to oranges.

So we should just give up driving and keep around antique cars for the few miles we do drive?

Helping my buddy revive a 65 Chevy, I’ll tell you straight up, what little romance I had for the classics has further been wrecked. 15 minutes with that thing and I smell rotten. and the exhaust stink hangs around a long time. We forget how much those things send out the tailpipe, even ones well-tuned.

Are they somehow worse than the average small engine? My riding mower doesn't stink when it runs, and I don't recall a mower that did unless it had something wrong with it like the choke is stuck on.

Are they somehow worse than the average small engine? My riding mower doesn't stink when it runs, and I don't recall a mower that did unless it had something wrong with it like the choke is stuck on.
Very similar? Just more of it. I’d wager my mower runs cleaner than his 65 and my older stuff when I had them.

I think the petrol of yore, when burned, smelled better.
For example, 100LL aviation gas run through an engine smells about the same today as it did in the 70's.

Back