Filling a gas-powered vehicle can still be cheaper than charging an electric one

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024

Filling a gas-powered vehicle can still be cheaper than charging an electric one.​

""U.S. electricity prices, which are heavily regulated in most states, have remained stable, however, and the cost to charge an electric car is still much lower than filling up one with an internal combustion engine, but only if you have a place to plug it in at home or a lot of time on your hands.""

Even at $3.20 a gallon with my 28MPG subaru, an EV would have saved me pretty significant on "fuel" costs. Even with the increase in my electric bill. The big thing that kept me from getting one with the current place is the 100A service.

At least the place we're (hoping) to buy has 100A service to the garage.

I have been saying this for awhile.

Take that electric car and use commercial chargers and its Considerably more than gas even at todays prices.

as long as you are using a normal ICE car.

Obviously The numbers are skewed if your baseline is a full size truck that gets 17mpg and 40gallon tank.

One thing is clear for most of the usa if you can charge at home and with relatively "Local driving" it is much cheaper to go electric.
except the whole 45k vs 18-25k car up front.

FWIW: a rav 4 prime phev would be electric at least 50-60% of the time for me and I could plug in with regular extension cord overnight.. of course buying one is 10k+ over sticker and iirc ohio got an incredibly tiny number would probably have to fly somewhere to buy it.

Now you know why solar was a no brainer for me. I had little doubt that prices would stay where they were 3 years ago.
My solar project cost break even point timeline continues to shrink. And I hate PG&E.
Electric would work for me now.
I have free electric from 7pm to 11pm 7 days a week. And already have an updated electrical system because of my machine tools.

That said i plan to conserve even harder. I always did but now much more.

Reactions: FZ1
I'm sick of ICE's and their archaic problems, especially now since we have started to devolve. But I doubt I'll ever own an EV because my goal is to get done what I need done for as cheap as possible.

No actual figures are given. I have had a Mach E since December and I have no idea how much it cost to fill up at the "pump." I plug it in at home, where my cost per kilowatt hour is around 2.5 cents because I have solar. That is how much Unisource pays me for my extra production each October. Since I am still producing more than I use, I am basically running my EV for free.

Gas could be at $7/gallon and there’d still be a group of people saying, “Well, if it were 10F in Texas and you were charging your EV at home and the power went out and your whole home generator that uses a 1970s Ford 351C that runs on natural gas turned on, it’d cost more to charge your EV!”
Thank you for explaining. Now I understand.

As expected, electric power providers are hiking costs. We pay more over 750kwh. While our rates are OK, the taxes and fees drive the total cost way up. In my case, charging an EV would cost about 30c per KWH in real world terms.

One must also remember that the dashboard display on the EV does not match the Kwh purchased. An honest assessment requires using a dedicated meter to "feed" and bill the EV.

I see people tossing around 12 cents per Kwh all the time, then looking at the dashboard and stating they used 350 watt hour per mile AND calculating the total cost! Utter RUBBISH. Use a dedicated electric meter and then relate power purchased vs miles driven.

Also of note, Grid to Wheel efficiency is 59 to 61%. (not including regeneration) (as regeneration is not used in many situations, such as highway or coasting to a stop)

Here in europe, using a fast charger along the highway can cost you up to 17 euro for 100 km range. This was reported before the russo-ukranian war so likely prices have gone up now.

Even with diesel at 2.28 ish euro per litre now, I can do 100 km for less than 10 euro.

I'm sick of ICE's and their archaic problems, especially now since we have started to devolve. But I doubt I'll ever own an EV because my goal is to get done what I need done for as cheap as possible.
You'll be better off to burn your hydrocarbons directly then.

As expected, electric power providers are hiking costs. We pay more over 750kwh. While our rates are OK, the taxes and fees drive the total cost way up. In my case, charging an EV would cost about 30c per KWH in real world terms.

One must also remember that the dashboard display on the EV does not match the Kwh purchased. An honest assessment requires using a dedicated meter to "feed" and bill the EV.

I see people tossing around 12 cents per Kwh all the time, then looking at the dashboard and stating they used 350 watt hour per mile AND calculating the total cost! Utter RUBBISH. Use a dedicated electric meter and then relate power purchased vs miles driven.

Also of note, Grid to Wheel efficiency is 59 to 61%. (not including regeneration) (as regeneration is not used in many situations, such as highway or coasting to a stop)
The meters will never match as you converted AC from the utility to DC for your battery. The losses might only be 5(ish)% but that is a lot of energy over the 7 year life of the car (when the battery is dead)

The most practical and cheap solution is the ICE/Hybrid. We use less gas and braking recharges the battery, +; We don't run out of "electricity" down by the Hiawassee river. Our U.S. carbon footprint is only about 15% worldwide so we are not "saving the planet" by causing low income fellow Americans to choose between gas, utilities, or food by wrecking our economy with curtailment of our cheapest sources of energy.

Last edited:
Unless you can shop electricity in your state you're screwed too.
It is going up everywhere.
Baseline for those shopping for electriciy to reduce their electric bill. I'm paying about .07 per kw hour here in Texas.

Now you know why solar was a no brainer for me. I had little doubt that prices would stay where they were 3 years ago.
My solar project cost break even point timeline continues to shrink. And I hate PG&E.
I think solar has a place in the Sunny South and West. As Solar evolves, the panels will get smaller to the point where many will put them on homes.

Back